SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Eaton Viking CON II ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Eaton Viking CON II
Google schmoogle!
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/4/09 6:03 PM

I picked up what looks like a clean and solid sewing machine at the thrift store today. It says Eaton Viking on the front and CON II on the little plate with the model and serial numbers. I have googled myself silly and can't find out anything about this machine. It looks pretty straightforward except for a really snazzy free arm set up, which I was able to figure out in the store.

Technically it is for my son's GF, but if I like this one, I may give her my little Genie (oh, I'll miss the Genie, though!) and keep this one. For a student with little storage area, the Genie would be more practical, I think. And it has the manual and of course, the totally cool carrying case.

Any info would be appreciated, such as the full name of the model so I can search for things, what sort of feet will fit it - it looks as though it will fit my Janome feet, and if it is ok to run with the Brother brand foot pedal it seems to have attached to it. If I can find a manual, that would be terrific.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/4/09 6:32 PM

Is this it? If it is I found it here
You might also look here, which I found from this PR link

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/4/09 6:51 PM

Thanks BeeBee - I had a pretty good look at those sites and also checked out the yahoo wefixit group. I should say that this a made in Japan model, so not the same as Viking Husquvarna.

So far I have finally managed to thread it and it runs like a dream

------

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to BeeBeeSew

Date: 4/4/09 9:14 PM

BeeBee, Eatons was the name of a Canadian Department store, which closed in the 90's. Viking was the store brand, I have a Viking Dishwasher, but it was made by GE. It has nothing to do with Husqvarna/Viking. Much like Sear's house brand is Kenmore.

Great score Tourist.

I would be hard pressed to give up my Genie, I love the hippy flowers.
-- Edited on 4/4/09 9:15 PM --

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

Date: 4/4/09 9:54 PM

Sorry, guess I'm no Canadian machine expert. Anyway, happy sewing. Can we still see a picture?

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 4/4/09 10:30 PM

A little bit more on Eaton's sewing machines.... At last count, I have 4 of them, dating back over 90 yrs. Being a department store, they never manufactured their own appliances, but contracted from established makers and put their own *badge* on them. Many of the early Eaton machines were made by The National Sewing Machine Company. These were often badged as *Eatonia*. The Viking name became common post WWII, and all the major appliances sold by the store (TVs, refrigerators, radios, etc) bore that name. Eaton's registered the Viking name long before Husqvarna began marketing any products in Canada, so any sewing machines sold by Husqvarna here have always been labeled as *Husqvarna*. Even though Eaton's has disappeared off the Canadian retail scene, their Viking trademark is still owned by some successor entity, and will never ever be used here by Husqvarna, especially since so many folks still associate the name with a failed dept store.

The only sewing machines my mother (1961) and I (1982) ever purchased brand new were Eaton's Vikings. Mom's was a basic end-loader zig-zag sourced by White, who was then contracting all their machines from Japanese manufacturers. My Vik is a Riccar-made rotary utility zz machine. Both are still fine stitchers, and reside in my collection, along with a 1913 National Eatonia, and a ca 1917 Eaton of undetermined manufacture.

Jennifer Hill
--
'Winds of inspiration. . .'
Quilt Canada 2010
Telus Convention Centre, Calgary, AB
April 26 - May 1 2010

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to Jennifer Hill

Date: 4/5/09 11:14 PM

Here is a photo of the machine. I don't know what I did wrong the first thousand times I tried it, but it is there now. It is very, very quiet and purrs as it sews. It only has one foot, with a single hole - not wide for zig zagging, but my Janome foot fits it and I am sure I can get another foot pretty easily. It has a metal bobbin, which for some reason I think is very cool. The plastic ones always seemed kinda cheap to me, though I read in my Genie manual that they are what was probably pretty fancy "transparent" bobbins when they first came out.

My Webpage
-- Edited on 4/5/09 11:19 PM --

------

grannygadgets
grannygadgets
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 11/13/09 9:13 AM

Hi Tourist
I have a machine exactly like yours! I bought it at Eaton's department store in Canada about 30 years ago and it still runs like a charm. I have lost the manual and looking online for more information, I found your message.

It was not made by Viking-Husquaverna (sp?) or Brother, so I'm still looking. The metal bobbins from my old Singer work in it and I bought some at WalMart which I hope will work too.

I need a manual and more feet and attachments. I'll try the Janome foot for sure and contact White as a manufacturer and see what they say.

I just found this website and love it.
Grannygadgets

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to grannygadgets

Date: 11/13/09 10:32 AM

grannygadgets - since I wrote this, the Eaton has become my primary machine. It is so quiet and sews so smoothly, plus the free arm/bobbin entry placement is much easier to use than my Janome 415. That freearm is so elegant! The Janome is set up with twin needle and walking foot for hemming knits now.

It is pretty tolerant of oddball bobbins, but the taller, flatter metal ones I have seem best. The Singer ones that are a bit curved are a bit too shallow. It is a low shank machine, so all my Singer and Janome feet seem to work on it. I haven't used a Singer buttonholer on it yet, though.

If you find info or a manual, I would love to hear about it. So far it has done everything I need it to do and I've been able to figure it all out once I got the threading. Manuals sometimes have good info, though. Feel free to message me or post here. You will love PR!

------

grannygadgets
grannygadgets
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 11/14/09 8:49 AM

Hi Tourist
Thanks for the quick response. Ill look out for some Singer and Janome feet.

When I made button holes (many years ago!) I would line up the markings under the presser foot and using the A,B,C D settings on the fancy stich dial sew the buttonhole. Thanks for the reminder! I will have to try some practice stich widths and see if I can still do it.

I'm trying to figure out what the brown dial on top of the machine is for. I think it must be for the upper thread tension. I will fiddle about with it and see what happens.

If I get hold of a manual I will scan it and send it to you.
Cheers
Grannygadgets

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Eaton Viking CON II

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

New Look 6567

photo
by: maryjanema...

Review

Pattern

Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now
THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

THE BASIC SLEEVE, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.