SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Costume Sewing/Cosplay ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Costume Sewing/Cosplay
Costume fantasies, advice on patterns and current/future projects.
misscreativist
star
misscreativist
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/3/09
Send Message

Date: 4/10/09 10:37 PM

I absolutely adore over-the-top costumes.
Costumes are my favourite thing to sew. They're so fun to wear too.

EDIT: I've figured out a costume with a hoop skirt to make for my upcoming anime/manga convention in August. Will probably be the green-haired girl with the black dress in this picture (C.C. from Code Geass).

I've bought so many costume patterns I haven't even used yet, including a cape pattern (McCalls 4139), the Matrix coat pattern (Simplicity 5386), the Andrea Schewe LOTR pattern (Simplicity 4940), and a tunics/hat/cape pattern (McCalls 2853).

I'd like to sew an 18th century Victorian style gown in the future, or the Marie Antoinette inspired gown (Butterick 4315, OOP).

I just finished the Civil War hoopskirt Simplicity 9764, which could have the potential for many costumes to come!

So far, I don't have anywhere really to wear them, I like to make them just for fun (as you do).

How about you? Share your costume creations/fantasies here!
-- Edited on 4/17/09 8:52 PM --

Sewing Joe
star
Sewing Joe
Indiana USA
Member since 3/7/08
Send Message

Date: 4/10/09 10:52 PM

I don't wear a lot of costumes myself, but that's the bulk of my "garment" sewing as well. I make a few Halloween costumes each year for various friends/family. My favorite was a Dracula cape with a stand up collar--my least favorite was also a Dracula cape made of vinyl (that stuff is not much fun to sew).

The best part about the costumes I've made is that good, tailored fit isn't all that critical. I haven't, obviously, made a lot of costumes for women. I imagine fit would be very important for 18th century ladies or your typical bar wench with a pushed up bosom.

------
Joe in New Albany, iN

Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
California USA
Member since 7/28/03
Send Message

Date: 4/10/09 11:10 PM

Costume Contest 2008

Costume Contest 2007

& search the pattern reviews with type = costume

There's lots out there!
-- Edited on 4/10/09 11:11 PM --

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/09 9:53 AM

I love costumes and wish I had reason to make more. I was in heaven sewing wedding and princess dresses for my little girls. When they were older we got to design and sew belly dance outfits. I often sew up (or create) some sort of Halloween costume.

This year my husband and I are going to be Zombies from the Wild West. I'm planning on sewing up a traditional square dance dress for myself. I'm not sure how easy it will be to rip it and roll in the mud once it's done though. That makes for very good zombie effects, btw.

They have a big halloween costume costume where we go dancing, and we plan on winning. We just wanted costumes that worked with out cowboy boots..lol.

And yes, it will be reviewed.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

Aphreal

Aphreal
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 5/31/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/09 12:51 PM

I decided to learn to sew for costuming purposes, and that's still my favorite thing to make and what I dream about.
In my case, I had friends invite me to join them at a renfaire in costume. So obviously the only logical solution was to learn to sew so I could make a renfaire costume, right? I've done a couple simple ren outfits and am now waiting to finish losing weight (30+ pounds lost so far!) before starting a serious Elizabethan gown or two. No point working out all that fitting if it's just going to change.

In the meantime, I've been making wizard outfits for my husband for Halloween, cloaks for friends, and am currently working on a lined long coat for a dinner theatre fund raiser at our church. I've also done a small amount of home dec and am about to get into quilting as a memorial to my grandmother. This site has almost convinced me to try making real clothes, but I'm not quite there yet

I'm afraid I know next to nothing on anime/manga, so I won't be much help there. But I completely understand the concept of mostly wanting to make costumes. People are less critical of the tailoring (so it's less intimidating for a beginner), and it's just so much fun to make huge full skirts, long drapey sleeves, dramatic capes, and corsets!

------
Current stash: 75 yds

2009 In: 36.5 yds
2009 Out: 36.75 yds

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 4/11/09 1:25 PM

Oh, for hoop skirts you can check out Le Chevalier D`Eon - it's an anime that takes place during the French Revolution and has some nice costumes. It's a pretty good anime, though DH complained that it had too much drama and character development and too few fights.

------
Kit
"Never underestimate the power of the right dress!" - drsue
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

jaqi
jaqi
Intermediate
Member since 8/30/05
Send Message

In reply to misscreativist

I also love making and wearing costumes. I'm a computer idiot so I don't know how to post any pictures of them. I've mostly made them for my sister to wear to work on Halloween. We pride ourselves on making a great costume while spending as little as possible. I sometimes wish I could attend all the costume events I see on line. I love all the costume and vintage pattern reviews I read here.

Marilly
Marilly
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 7/9/06
Send Message

Go visit someplace like cosplay.com and check out the forums.The challenges with cosplay often go beyond fit issues and move into other creative production areas if you need things like armor, props or mascotsuits ( those can be feats of engineering). Wigs and makeup are also part of the deal, although this year my cosplaying DD is responsible for that part.
Another thing to consider is that game characters and movie characters are also okay to cosplay. There's everything from Disney ( Kingdom of Hearts) to Batman ( nurse joker anyone?). If that doesn't appeal, then there's the Gothic Lolita angle too.
The best part about cosplay is the adventure..there's no patterns for most of these and the ability to think outside the box with your use of materials is a definite plus.

Natalie D.
star
Natalie D.
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/31/05
Send Message

Date: 4/11/09 2:29 PM

And... there's always Renfests and Reenactments. Gosh, with the new Star Trek movie soon to premiere, that might also be a venue for serious Trekkies. I remember going to see Bram Stoker's Dracula (years ago) on the first day and we were practically the only ones not outfitted in Goth garb.

------
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons" Ralph Waldo Emerson

NoelFigart

NoelFigart
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/09 7:11 PM

I got into sewing doing Renaissance faires back in the early 1990s before the Big Three pattern companies were releasing anything like a decent historical pattern. Therefore, I actually learned to draft basic patterns so that I could make costumes.

In fact, if you can dig up Patternless Fashion, I highly recommend it! It's really basic stuff and looks a bit fifties, but if you combine it with Make it Your Own, you can pretty much make anything you can imagine.

But, yeah, I do a lot of costuming: I make 16th century garb all the time, have made costumes for my kids such as Hogworts robes, The Mask costumes, a salwar kameez for myself (actually more clothes than a costume. I used to wear them all the time when I was a secretary), and I even have made a westernized version of a kimono from a pattern (see my userpic). It's fun. After you make a corset that fits well, nothing intimidates you.

Though right now I'm in the middle of a sewing capsule that's just a boring ole pair of pants.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Costume Sewing/Cosplay

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

New Look 6006

photo
by: MissMarnie

Review
Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Buy Now
Marfy 3171

photo
by: Achallengi...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.