SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > needle serger thread keeps breaking ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
needle serger thread keeps breaking
sewnew
star
sewnew
Beginner
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/21/09 2:36 AM

Hi, I'm hoping to get some help on my old Pfaff serger. my needle thread keeps breaking even after I tried rethreading with new thread, tried upper.lower, needle sequence then lower, upper, and needle. I unfortunately haven't been able to locate my manual after moved several times. at the initial attempt, it seemed to make the thread tail, but then with fabric, the thread subsequently broke. Is this a simple needle change problem? thanks for all advice.

SewRaeMe

SewRaeMe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

In reply to sewnew

Date: 4/21/09 9:15 AM

What model # is your machine? Perhaps if you set your tension to the least amount, run a bit of dental floss back and forth (carefully) through the tension dial then rethread it, that may work.

------
Formerly The Canadian

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to sewnew

Date: 4/21/09 9:32 AM

The thread could be the culprit. Have you tried a different spool/cone in needle?

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

sewnew
star
sewnew
Beginner
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 4/21/09 9:57 AM

Hi The Canadian: my serger is an old Pfaff hobbylock 603A. I will try your suggestion. thanks.

Hi Sewliz: my first thread was maxilock, then I switched over to a different cone. I will have to tinker with it when I come home from work and maybe rethread with fresh cones. thanks.

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

Date: 4/21/09 10:04 AM

I put a new needle in my sewing machine yesterday, and then the thread kept shredding. Must have been a bad needle. Worked fine with a 2nd new one.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to sewnew

Date: 4/21/09 12:28 PM

I hope this helps..remember to thread your needle last and if you rethread loopers for any reason..be sure your needle thread is up and clear from the machine or rethread the needle again after rethreading loopers.
For all the sergers that I have owned and for most sergers the threading sequence is upper looper, then lower looper..then thread needle/needles except with Janome sergers where the lower looper is threaded first in some of their models but in most brands it is always the upper looper that is threaded first then the lower looper with the lower looper thread placed over the upper looper arm then all threads are drawn to the back and left of the foot before starting to serge.
Some brands also differ in threading sequence as to if right or left needle is threaded last. My 2 brands of sergers differ in the needle thread sequence.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/21/09 7:01 PM

Definitely change the needle. The last time I was wanting to toss my serger I finally changed the needle and voila! all was well again.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

glenj

glenj
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/08
Send Message

In reply to sewnew

Date: 4/25/09 12:21 PM

One time I had trouble just from over tightening the needle

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 4/25/09 12:46 PM

For another idea, my serger will inevitably break the left needle thread unless I switch around the thread - that is, I put the left needle thread in the right needle and the right in the left. Clear as mud, I'm sure, but it works for my machine. I think the left needle thread is under more tension because of how the thread, uh, holding thing that first lifts up the thread tends to twist on it's axis when threaded correctly. For whatever reason when I switch the needle threads the thread doesn't break and the wire thing doesn't twist.

So one more thing to try. Hopefully it's just the needle because it's rather a pain to have a machine you have to trick into working. Sigh.

------
Kit
"Never underestimate the power of the right dress!" - drsue
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

sewnew
star
sewnew
Beginner
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose

Date: 4/26/09 2:25 AM

well, I have tried rethreading multiple times, also a new needle, but the stitches are still not forming right, and the thread still breaks. I then tried myh MIL's viking 936 ... threaded according to the instructions, and the thread loops are not forming. Arggh. I was thinking before this about a new Babylock jetair threading. Maybe this is a sign

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> needle serger thread keeps breaking

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

McCall's 6517

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 90mm Barrel Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.