SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > babylock companion 1550 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
babylock companion 1550
Anyone know about this machine?
midnamoondog
midnamoondog
Member since 4/23/09
Send Message

Date: 5/18/09 9:05 PM

Hi, I just came into possession of a babylock companion 1550...I have searched the boards with no luck of finding any information. Anyone know anything about this one?

Mary

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to midnamoondog

Date: 5/20/09 1:24 PM

There's a manual available here:

BabyLock Companion 1550 manual

It looks like a nice, basic machine!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to midnamoondog

Subject: Babylock Companion 1550 Date: 8/21/10 12:09 PM

I see your message is a bit old, but perhaps you still have your Babylock? I just came into possession of one of these myself! I can tell you that is is nice and heavy, and that it will take the snap on feet of FRONT loading Janomes because I have lots of those feet and they fit my "new to me" Babylock and are the right position over the dogs and needle plate. It does a nice one step auto buttonhole, and I do have the manual. No years are mentioned anywhere, so that is a mystery. I am guessing early 90s?! It seems like a nice machine - I have had mine a bit less than 24 hours.

If you still have the machine, and need info from the manual, I can also tell you that here is a link to threading.

Babylock 1550 threading

The link in the second post here is to another machine altogether. Also, the present Babylock Maria is a bit like the 1550.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 8/21/10 1:23 PM

Quote: Mufffet
The link in the second post here is to another machine altogether. Also, the present Babylock Maria is a bit like the 1550.

You're right! I must not have had my glasses on that day...one digit makes a difference! Glad someone who actually has one was able to chime in here.
Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to karen149

Date: 8/21/10 4:22 PM

:) No problem - that site has the right one too I think. I was hoping someone would know what years these were made. It is surprisingly metal! It just spoke to me...:)

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/21/10 6:32 PM

edited because link no longer working.....
-- Edited on 2/12/13 12:13 PM --

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 8/21/10 6:51 PM

That looks very much like one of the BL models (or one similar) that I used sell back in the 90's. ..around 94 I think. It was back when Singer stores closed and we moved Singer depts. into the fabric stores and we also sold Babylock.
I loved the old BL sergers and sold more of them than the sewing machines. The air threaders were just coming out on the market and were really new then but at that time we sold more of the regular BL sergers..then the fabric stores closed too. So sad having
Singer closing their stores, going to House of Fabrics and also ClothWorld..and both of them eventually closing too. I think one of the stores still owes me some commissions LOL. Yep they closed down that fast. I did receive a legal letter over a year later in regards to money owed me but I did not pursue it being I had relocated to another town and was doing a term of service in Americorps that was 7 days a week.
-- Edited on 8/21/10 6:56 PM --

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 8/21/10 7:18 PM

Finally a good picture! If anyone asks about this machine again, we'll tell 'em to go see Mufffet

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 8/21/10 9:10 PM

Thanks Bet! I appreciate that dating. Mid 90s seems about the time - it's is somewhere on the scale between the early 70s New Home I had and sold and the newer lighter machines of the early 2000s. Nice and heavy, and solid. You have sure had a terrific career in that game. It's great to have your knowledge!

I hear you on the fabric shops - back when I lived in Tucson we had at least three and even the Base Exchange had fabric and patterns - boy is that a memory! And we took those fabric shops for granted. I still want kettle cloth, and NO, weavers cloth is only a poor substitute.

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to karen149

Date: 8/21/10 9:13 PM

Yes, it is hard to get a nice photo off the web, although I did see one on Flickr that was pretty good. The person said this about it: "It was cheaper to buy the machine than to have [whatever it was] sewn!" Pretty interesting words and it was a guy who bough the machine just in the last 6 months. The one I bought was a trade-in for one of my sewing tech's new Necchis. AND he had sold it to the lady who traded it in about three years ago when it sat there used in his shop at that time.I could see it needed a good home.

This is sure Old Sewing Machine month here on PR. :)

------
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> babylock companion 1550

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Vogue Patterns 8559

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review
SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Three

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 09-1994-128

photo
by: sfshaza

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.