SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Babylock Eclipse DX serger manual ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock Eclipse DX serger manual
anyone know where I can find one?
cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 5/19/09 3:13 PM

After my last project-- 16 goodie bags for my DD's birthday party, each with rolled-hem top edges and handles-- I almost threw my serger out the window. I mean, it's not that it's a *bad* serger... it does very pretty stitching, and generally-speaking it's tension is pretty easy to set. The problem is threading that thing. It is the most primal serger on earth. I swear, it might be the very first one ever. And if you just look at it funny while threading, it won't chain off. God forbid a thread breaks or something. I spent over 20 minutes just threading it on two separate occasions during this one project. That night, I went to bed dreaming of the 'Whooosh!' that Nancy Zieman gets with her babylock sergers, just wishing they cost less. But I wasn't going to skip PR weekend to buy a new serger. Not now.

So, flash forward a couple of days. There, on ebay, was a babylock serger at a pawnbroker's website. It clearly was a Babylock Eclipse DX. And it was pretty clear that no one knew just what it was, because the bids were really low. I wrote to the pawnbroker. Their reserve was $350, and they do offer a two-to-three-week money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

So needless to say, I bought it for the reserve price + $15 shipping. And it arrived while I was at PR Weekend in Portland. What a great surprise to come home to!

I cleaned it a bit today. That thing was *nasty*. But it definitely has jet-air threading! I'm about to take it for a drive.

Here's my problem though: it came without a manual or a video. Can anyone advise me where to find one?? I'm betting this is one of the older jet-air models, but couldn't tell you the year.

Any other Babylock advice is, of course, welcome as well.

Thanks all!

------
Cindy Lou, no more than 2
"Sew, Esmerelda! Sew like the Wind!" -Martin Short, The Three Amigos
"When inspiration calls, you don't send it to voicemail." --Will I Am.

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 5/19/09 6:44 PM

Hey, a clarification:

Apparently my serger is from back when babylock only made one Eclipse-- no DX and SX and all. I don't know if this makes any difference in its quality (I hope not!)-- as long as it has jet-air threading, which it clearly does, and a differential feed, which it clearly does, I think I'll be happy.
-- Edited on 5/20/09 8:46 AM --

------

diningroomseamstress
star
diningroomseamstress
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou

Date: 5/19/09 7:53 PM

First off, Congrats! That was a nice find...

Please post a good pic of your machine. That might inspire some of us babylock owners to assist. Here is the link to a site that sells BL manuals.

But, you may also luck out and there is a BL Eclipse owner on this board that can help you out. Congrats again. BTW I like your new profile pic.

Baby Lock Manuals
-- Edited on 5/19/09 8:05 PM --

------
Carol - * I always have more time to sew *
Babylock Ellageo, Viking Mega Quilter, Janome MC6600P, Babylock Evolve Serger, Janome FM 725

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/19/09 11:00 PM

I think the DX is the first jet air threader Babylock introduced with these new patents though there is still a DX model on the Babylock site. I saw an on line quote stating this machine when new had a msrp of about $1700.

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 5/19/09 11:55 PM

I gave my serger to a friend, but if you can't get one elsewhere, I could copy the manual for you.

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to diningroomseamstress

Date: 5/20/09 0:05 AM

Quote:
.. Please post a good pic of your machine. That might inspire some of us babylock owners to assist. Here is the link to a site that sells BL manuals.... BTW I like your new profile pic.

Thanks knanna! It's from PR weekend in Portland.

Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, they don't have this model's manual; but you inspired me to go back through the boards for links to manuals. I found one and downloaded it.

I'm downloading pics right now. My first job was to clean this thing up. I swear, the prior owner got this thing in about 1994 (according to the manual I downloaded), and I think that was the last year she cleaned it, too. It was downright nasty in there. The 'before' pics below show it after I had done a superficial cleaning. Still nasty. Even the 'Eclipse' logo was covered with a patina of nasty that required tons of GooGone to get clean! Also required that beer you see in the background...

Here's a little show and tell:
BEFORE--

AFTER--

Anyway... I read the manual up to threading the machine and converting to a rolled hem. WOW!!! This serger is quiet (relatively speaking), easy, and has a beautiful stitch. The conversion to rolled hem is really, really easy too.

Aaaaaaaahhhh..... I'm just luxuriating in this new-to-me serger!

I do wonder what the usual market price is for a Babylock Eclipse that is 10 or so years old... but I know that it was worth the $350 that I just spent on it.

------

diningroomseamstress
star
diningroomseamstress
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou

Date: 5/20/09 7:26 AM

WOW what a beautiful machine! You did a fabulous job of cleaning it and I'm soooo glad you located a manual for it. I can see why you needed that beer. So, tell us, are you a jet-air threading convert now?
-- Edited on 5/20/09 7:28 AM --

------
Babylock Ellageo, Viking Mega Quilter, Janome MC6600P, Babylock Evolve Serger, Janome FM 725

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 5/20/09 8:45 AM

Quote:
So, tell us, are you a jet-air threading convert now?

Oh, YES! I have never loaded up so easily in my life. My other serger is the kind that requires threading the looper threads through about 8 guides each, including threading the lower looper thread through a pin-size hole, then fishing it out the other side and through another hole on the opposite side. It's tedious. Plus, if you thread out of order, or if you bring the lower looper thread below the upper thread instead of above it, the serger won't make a chain. And I swear that if you don't hold your mouth right, or don't know the secret handshake that day, it won't chain off either. The babylock, on the ohter hand, really is foolproof.

I haven't wanted to be a baby or a whiner about my old serger, because it really does have a pretty stitch once you get it going... but you can waste a lot of precious sewing time just getting it ready. Now my time can be mine again. I'm so excited!!

Thanks for your help, knanna-- and for being excited along with me.

------

diningroomseamstress
star
diningroomseamstress
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

In reply to cindy-lou

Date: 5/21/09 4:07 PM

One of my sisters came over this morning and I spent the day with her hemming her son's jeans. I also serged the edge (in order to hem) a pair of slacks she had. It felt wonderful to pull out my BL Evolve and show her how easy it was to thread. Impressive to her. She has never used a serger and asked what I was going to do with it. When I showed her the finished edge of her slacks she was really impressed.I haven't use my serger that often, but when I do it just makes the task that much easier. No fussing with the threading, can have it completely rethreaded in five minutes. I always completely rethread it when I pull it back out for a project. How many sewists out there without the jet-air threading would be that willing to do that? Maybe a few, but probably far fewer than BL owners.

Have fun with your new machine...

------

cindy-lou
starstarstar
cindy-lou
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 7/21/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 5/22/09 9:27 PM

Thanks! You have fun with yours, too, and definitely think about using it for construction for basics and TNT's. What a timesaver it is!

I use mine for a lot of things-- most of the construction with knits and basic wovens like PJ pants, etc. And yes, I've rethreaded from scratch a fair bit-- when threads break, when the tie-on method unties... you get the picture. This thing will be a godsend to me.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Babylock Eclipse DX serger manual

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Vogue Patterns 7696 OOP

photo
by: redside

Review
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Chopin Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Chopin Blouse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.