SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Who really makes Kenmore sewing machines? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Who really makes Kenmore sewing machines?
Talked to a salesperson at Sears today
StitchinMom
StitchinMom
Advanced Beginner
Rhode Island USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/24/09 5:59 PM

The salesperson I talked with at Sears today told me that Arrow now makes all of the sewing machines for Sears. I told him, hmmm... I thought Janome made them. No, he said - you wouldn't believe who owns what these days - just try and buy a refrigerator.

Despite this I still bought the 18221 on sale. I got the last one in the store. The salesperson said he can't keep them in the store. I guess they started out with 20-something and this was it.

So I came home and did some Googling - "who makes Kenmore sewing machines" - wiki said Janome, but no date on the entry. No other helpful links that I could find. "who owns sears Kenmore appliances" - gave me another link that listed different appliances and who manufactures them, but no mention of the sewing machines.

Why do I care? Well, I don't know much about Arrow, but I trust Janome. I still bought it because I'm not sure that I believed the guy.

But how does one go about finding out who makes the particular model of sewing machine?

------
StitchinMom
Janome MC6600P; Janome 3160QDC; Janome Jem 760; BabyLock Imagine Wave Serger;
For teaching:
Janome Sew Mini; Janome Jem 661; Kenmore 19233; Kenmore 18221; knitting needles & crochet hooks :)

SewVeryCreative

SewVeryCreative
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 8/23/07
Send Message

In reply to StitchinMom

Date: 6/24/09 6:44 PM

I could be wrong (not to mention crazy), but I'm 99.9% sure that Arrow doesn't make SMs, only tables/workcenters.

I don't really know if Janome makes Kenmore machines anymore ... I've heard conflicting accounts. I've heard some say Janome manufactured ALL the 385. models, and I've heard they only made a select few (my 385.1915 was made by Janome ~ it's almost *exactly* like my MemoryCraft 9000).

I'll do some Googling, too. Just outta curiosity! :)

------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Connie in Panama City Beach, Florida :)

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through" ~ David Bowie, "Changes"

http://www.imsewverycreative.blogspot.com

SewVeryCreative

SewVeryCreative
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 8/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/24/09 6:55 PM

A quickie Google search "reveals" that Kenmore machines are now manufactured by the same company that manufactures Singers ~ a company called "JAMAC." Whoever that is.

Of course, as always, since the internet is not actually the most accurate source for info 100% of the time, YMMV. :/

------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Connie in Panama City Beach, Florida :)

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through" ~ David Bowie, "Changes"

http://www.imsewverycreative.blogspot.com

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to StitchinMom

Date: 6/24/09 7:55 PM

Jamac is a division of Janome. The sewing machines with the first 3 numbers 385..before the model number means it came from Janome.
Sears has had several other sewing machine brands with different prefix's before the model numbers of their Kenmore sewing machines in the past. Some of the machines were made by White where the first three numbers would be 117 and 340 would be Necchi and I believe 516 would be by Gritzner Kaiser etc.
As for Arrow and Kenmore appliances, this is new to me but there is an Arrow Distributors and maybe they do have something to do with the distribution of different Kenmore appliances.

-- Edited on 6/24/09 8:04 PM --

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 6/24/09 8:07 PM

Arrow sewing machine

Two years ago I was told by someone who works inside the sewing machine industry that Janome in the near future wouldn't be making Kenmore machines for Sears anymore. Sears has had a major clearance on their Kenmore's for a few months. The link above is the only reference I found for Arrow sewing machine company.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

Joanne77
Joanne77
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/16/09
Send Message

Date: 6/25/09 11:26 AM

Sears contracts with many different manufacturers for their products and they do change manufacturers from time to time. Perhaps they have decided to go with a different mfg. for their sewing machines now. It is a shame if they have, in my opinion, because Janome is so widely respected by sewers, sewists, whatever you prefer to call people who sew, and I can't imagine them finding another source for their machines that would give them a better product than Janome. But, as Betakin said, life goes on.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/25/09 11:30 AM

Just buy what you like and use it.

You could lose your mind trying to figure out if the machine is being manufactured with the same specifications but by another company.

General Mills makes cake mixes, but the whole world can bake the cake if they follow the "specifications" (instructions).

Regardless of the ground under them - China or Taiwan, I wonder what the Chinese citizenry think when they purchase a sewing machine?

-- Edited on 6/25/09 11:32 AM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Bill Holman
Bill Holman
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/29/04
Send Message

In reply to Betakin
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 6/25/09 6:50 PM

Sears source #s for sewing machines:

117=White (Also 2 models from Gritzner-Kayser in Germany that White imported for Sears.

120=New Process Gear Corporation. (A division of Chrysler when these were made in the 1950s.

148=Soryu in Japan

158=Maruzen in Japan (later Jaguar)

385=Janome

Arrow is a cabinet company.

Bill Holman

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to StitchinMom

Date: 6/25/09 9:31 PM

Congratulations! I know you've been debating on what to get for awhile and you've got yourself a really nice machine. I'm sure you feel like it's a big improvement over your old machine and you can get a lot of specialty feet for it. Enjoy!

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to StitchinMom

Date: 6/25/09 11:11 PM

the kenmore appliances are made buy Whirlpool. My father was a appliances repair person. arrow is sewing cabinnets.
i think sears is going with singer or brother to make there machines now.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Who really makes Kenmore sewing machines?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Lekala Patterns 4136

photo
by: norsk

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.