SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Athena 2000 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Athena 2000
need information
brendaj
brendaj
Member since 8/9/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/21/09 3:57 PM

I was just gifted a Singer 2000 Athena sewing machine in cabinet. Love the cabinet though the finish is a little rough. I think I sprung a spring or something though when I removed the machine.
I know nothing of the machine. Looks like 1970's maybe. Plastic has that yellow look. I will get the manual and parts next week, she forgot them.
Is this machine a good one? Is it worth keeping. I know I will keep the cabinet, just not sure about the machine.
Thank you for any info you have. (this will not be a primary machine for me, I may want to put my beloved Pfaff 1222 in the cabinet)
Brenda in MI

crankyoldlady
crankyoldlady
Intermediate
Member since 11/14/08
Send Message

Date: 7/21/09 6:10 PM

If it operates beautifully and is a pleasure on which to sew, it is worth keeping. However, it has plastic innerds as well as an electronic circuit board which are both well past their prime. Spending any $$$ on this particular model would be ill advised.

brendaj
brendaj
Member since 8/9/07
Send Message

Date: 7/22/09 12:26 PM

Thank for the reply. I ran the machine last night, but will wait until I get the manual and stuff to play further. I would really like to mount my Pfaff 1222e in the cabinet. Spent the evening looking for the mounting screws with no luck so far.
take care
brenda in MI

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to brendaj
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 7/22/09 12:58 PM

I have a Singer Athena 2000.It has a strong 1.5 motor and some nice decorative stitches.It can also do a chain stitch,if your machine came with the chainstitch fittings. I found lots of Athena 2000 ( and other vintage Singer sewing machine models ) information on the side bar here.
-- Edited on 7/22/09 12:59 PM --

Wendy J
Wendy J  Friend of PR
Advanced
VA USA
Member since 5/18/07
Send Message

Date: 8/8/09 11:14 AM

I got the Athena 2000 30 years ago when I graduated college and loved using it. I kept it for 5 years before selling it, but never had any problems with it at that time. I wish I had kept it. Really loved using it! Enjoy it! Wendy

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to TeeGee

Date: 8/8/09 8:06 PM

Another Singer machine to do chainstich? Love it! Those are the same fittings my Touch and Sew has.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 8/8/09 8:33 PM

My 756 T&S also did a nice chainstitch with the same fittings. I also loved that the machine could do a very long basting stitch as you pulled the fabric through.

jrizzoli

jrizzoli  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/31/09
Send Message

Date: 8/15/09 3:03 AM

I purchased my Athena 200 new in the 70's. I still have it and still love it. The bobbin re-wind function finally gave out and I took it to a mom and pop shop for repair and for $100 they replaced the bobbin housing and also the feed dog. They told me to never get rid of it because it's made of mostly metal parts which are not common in today's machines.

It has always occasionally made some humming noise and other weird sounds, but it hasn't affected the performance. Have fun with it!

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
NC USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 8/15/09 11:25 AM

I've bought and sold a jillion machines over the years and the only one I regret selling was my Athena. If it sews well you may find it is your perferred go-to just for the basting stitch and the beautiful buttonholes it made!

I agree that it's probably not worth any large repair bill but if it's been well cared for it should still work well for you. Enjoy!

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

Mark NeverSew
Mark NeverSew
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/6/11
Send Message

Date: 9/7/11 0:10 AM

Of course its a really old post to dig up, because its a really old machine! LOL!

My mom passed away and left me a Singer Athena 2000 Sewing Machine in near mint condition despite her making millions of stitches and countless button holes with it.

She kept it clean and its smooth as silk. Amazingly, I went through the manual and figured out how to thread it, load up a bobbin, and do a decent straight basic stitch. Yay.

If I could get some help on a couple points, that would be awesome!

Question 1: What is the deal with Thread Tension? It seems I can only get a decent result if its set to 0 (minimum).

2: What is the purpose and use of the Foot Pressure Dial on the left side?

3: My first project, a simple square velvet curtain, needs shiny gold thread to show up nicely on the hem, but its velvet, and when I run it through the machine it crushes a little, plus the gold thread sinks into the velvet and gets rather hidden. Should I try a thicker thread? If so, I presume I need a bigger needle too? (total newbie I know).

4: I tried a couple different stitch patterns selected from the Athena's control panel. They work (yes I figured out to swap the plates and install the fancy "foot"), and some patterns show up on top of the velvet better than others, but they are all rather narrow at maybe .25" at the widest setting. Is it possible to make wider stitch patterns?

5. I do indeed have the parts to do a "chainstitch", but what is that, and why / where would I use it?

Thanks all in advance for any help with this fine old machine!
-- Edited on 9/7/11 0:16 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Athena 2000

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Vogue Patterns 8182

photo
by: tiadia

Review
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

8 1/2 inch LEFTY Dressmaking Shears

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.