SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > I knew I had too much fabric when... ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I knew I had too much fabric when...
Tell your story!
Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 8/11/09 8:47 PM

Today when the back of my Ikea fabric cabinet broke and burst open!

When I asked DH if I really had too much fabric his answer was of course not, it's just a cheap cabinet. I'm going to agree with him.

How did you know you had too much fabric?

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

mary in FL
star
mary in FL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 4/28/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 8/11/09 9:07 PM

I knew I had too much fabric when the doors to my cabinet would not close - on both sides!

------
from Daytona Beach, FL
http://mary-sews.blogspot.com/

Re Becca
starstarstar
Re Becca
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

In reply to mary in FL
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/09 10:22 PM

I wondered for a second if I had too much fabric when I came home from the fabric shop and found that I already owned a couple of yards of that same fabric.

The thought passed quickly.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

Mary Reed

Mary Reed
Intermediate
Arizona USA
Member since 6/2/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 8/11/09 10:35 PM

I knew I had too much fabric when my husband bet me that I had over 1000 (one thousand) pounds (unit of weight) of fabric. With $100 on the line, we packed and weighed. Then, I reweighed it - this time without the Rubbermaid bins (too much extra weight)...and then handed him the $100....I need to sew more, don't you think?

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 8/11/09 10:38 PM

I knew I had too much fabric when...this actually has never happened to me.

I have been collecting quilting fabric for thirty-five years, I have a fair amount, but it is not enough. It is NEVER enough. I always want more.

I told my daughter to keep all of my fabric after I die and then sell it as antiques a couple of decades or so later.

------
Barb

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 8/12/09 2:23 AM

A few weeks back the process of doing the laundry I decided to ensure all my fabric was in boxes because we are moving house.
I knew that there were two pieces of fabric on the top shelf of one of the wardrobes. I was 100% right. Except there were not two but eight pieces of fabric. Ranging from the standard 2m to 4m in length. Oops and I just bought another piece the other day.
I had promised myself never to have more than fitted the three bins under the bed. And it still fits, if I sit on them to click them closed.

Gilraen

slvrsage

slvrsage  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/11/04
Send Message

In reply to Franksdottir

Date: 8/12/09 4:42 AM

I agree with Barb (Franksdottir) ... It is NEVER enough. I have tons of fabric, although I haven't weighed it to see if it is a literal ton. I have lots that I am anxious to sew up, but sometimes I don't have anything suitable for the pattern or garment I envision.

If I don't want to spend money, I just avoid the fabric store for a while. Otherwise yards of it leap into my cart.

------
Lynnette
Aka slvrsage

yorkshire lass
starstar
yorkshire lass
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/23/06
Send Message

Date: 8/12/09 5:45 AM

I knew I had too much fabric in one place when the shelf holding the knit fabrics collapsed in the night and the weight of fabric opened the wardrobe door and it all fell out on the floor. Oddly enough, that was Ikea too. Me thinks it is not that we have too much fabric, but rather that Ikea do not fully realise how much weight their storage solutions NEED to be designed to take.

However, I am sure I can't have too much fabric really, because even though I have a cupboard full, I still don't have the fabric I need to make the garments I want. So I will just have to go shopping again for more fabric... its a hardship, but someone has to do it.

Jenni
-- Edited on 8/12/09 5:47 AM --

------
http://sewyld.blogspot.com/

Chocolate is the answer... what was the question again?

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz

Date: 8/12/09 8:34 AM

His answer was exactly what I was thinking when you said this. I do not think I have too much fabric, I still have room for more! If you buy a duplicate, either one, you loved it enough to buy more, or you need to organize your fabrics, which is what I did. The satisfaction from opening my fabric closet is to beam with pleasure at my neat, and organized stash and look for more fabric!
-- Edited on 8/12/09 8:37 AM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

slanden99
starstarstarstar
slanden99
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/14/05
Send Message

Date: 8/12/09 9:34 AM

I was reassured that I had too much fabric when my cheap plastic Walmart shelving units starting bending, then collapsed in the middle of the night. The weight of the fabric bent my Joannes cutting table. Even after tightening the screws, the table has never been the same.
The next day I bought industrial strength metal shelving at Home Depot. They've held up well. I just keep running out of room.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> I knew I had too much fabric when...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2007-115

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
La Mia Boutique Taglie Forti 09-2012-109

photo
by: wsm2408

Review
Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Liberty Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.