SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Beautiful new Babylock!!! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Beautiful new Babylock!!!
Evolution...mine, all mine!!!
LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/1/09 1:33 PM

The latest version of the Babylock Evolve, the Evolution, is out! I exchange my Evolve2 for the new baby next week and as much as I love Luvvie (my Evolve), the all-loopers-at-same-time threading plus the LED lighting of the new Evolution...mine!!! ALL MINE!!!
http://www.babylock.com/sergers/evolution/

Woooohooooo!!!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 9/1/09 2:56 PM

So, my dealer was correct! It has a larger harp space? What are all the new gizmos? I really like the seperate cover stitch and serger..just wondering.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 9/1/09 3:56 PM

Nice machine, what did you pay in Cananda for it..does it take the same extra feet as the evolve.. thanks ..

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/1/09 5:58 PM

I've been waiting to learn more about the new BL sergers, since my dealer had told me that 2 would be coming out this week after the BL convention - the Evolution (8-thread) and the Enlighten (4-thread).

I currently have the BL Imagine Wave and Coverstitch machines and think they're both really great. I've been interested in getting a 5-thread for some time now, and so have been waiting to learn more about the Evolution. But from reading the website, I find it curious that BL would produce 2 *new* machines that have such small changes.

The new lighting is nice, granted, but only having to push the jet-air lever once hardly seems like a real improvement, since the ports still need to be threaded the same way. And threading the ports plus pushing that lever are very simple things to do - nothing that really needed to be improved upon.

Watching the BL video the Nancy Zieman and the BL educator (can't remember her name at the moment), it was clear that they didn't have much to say about the machine. They actually made a joke out of Nancy repeating herself over and over again about pushing that lever.

I wonder if I'm missing something, but I'm curious about why these machines (particularly the Evolution with coverstitch capability) weren't given bigger harp areas, and why the Evolution wasn't given a tighter turning radius than the Evolve (like the Imagine was given when the wave stitch was added).

I really don't want to rain on the parade of anyone who is getting one of these new machines, and I'm sure these will be great machines to use - just like their predecessors. But I'm disappointed that they are essentially the same machines as those already available.

Even my dealer, a very honest guy, wasn't very enthusiastic about these new machines.

It feels like a BL marketing ploy to boost sales more than anything else. I've looked back over the features described on the BL website, and I can't find any additional changes other than the light and jet-air lever. Am I missing something?

-- Edited on 9/1/09 6:06 PM --

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to threaddy

Date: 9/1/09 6:01 PM

Larger harp area, 3 LED lights (!!!), all -or any combination of- loopers can be jet-threaded at the same time, can use the Evolve feet & accessories...

I like separate coverstitch & serger too, so I have a Baby Lock coverstitch machine which I use most often for covrestitching, then the Evolve (soon to be Evolution) for most serging, and as a back-up coverstitch machine, plus a Pfaff 4874 which I use for deco-coverstitching and as a serger back-up.

Unless they all go at the same time, I've got back-up for my back-ups, lol!

------
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Barbara3

Date: 9/1/09 6:13 PM

I don't know if this is just my BL dealer, or all BL dealers, but for the first year of purchase of any BL machine, you can upgrade with 100% of the original purchase price applied to the upgrade.

I upgraded my Evolve after 11 months to the Evolve Wave; now that the Evolution is here, I'm upgrading again. The only cost to me is the retail difference between the Evolve Wave & the Evolution.

My dealer says the harp area is larger on the Evolution, and it looks like it when I compared the front photos of both; the all-at-same-time looper threading is nice but no biggie; it's that LED lighting that's giving me the incentive to upgrade again!
:)

------

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 9/1/09 6:14 PM

Did I miss on the website that there is a larger harp area? I hope that is true, but the website doesn't actually mention that, the photos don't seem to reflect it, and my dealer said that the harp area hadn't been changed. He said that only the lights (very nice LED) and the jet-air lever that enables threading more than one looper at a time were new.

I'm sure upgrading your machine will be nice, particularly with the good deal you might get. But I'm just disappointed to have waited for changes that didn't materialize. I think BL missed an opportunity to make a couple of extraordinary sergers that would really capture the market.

-- Edited on 9/1/09 6:18 PM --

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Barbara3

Date: 9/1/09 6:18 PM

I am wondering the need for the Enlighten being given the bigger D area being it does not do coverhem. I can understand the need for more room to the right if one does a lot of flatlocking in the body of the fabric or for coverhem like the Evolution but I like the D area nice and tight for just overlocking.
I like that my Elna coverlock has a big D area for certain projects but I also use my other little serger for small tight projects.
I guess now BL gives you the choice for both.

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

Date: 9/1/09 6:40 PM

Feeling a bit disappointed that the harp areas hadn't been changed, and then reading these posts, I decided to call the lead guy at the main store of a chain of 4 local BL stores to ask this question again. While this chain is one of the largest sellers of BL sergers in the nation, that doesn't mean that they have all the right answers. But he was the second guy at two different locations who said that the owner had ordered the new machines and there hadn't been a change to the harp area on either the Evolution or the Enlighten.

He did mention another change that the website doesn't seem to mention. A small adjustable knob has replaced the screw at the center of the machine that could be tightened or loosened to adjust the looper thread if need be. I've never needed to adjust that screw on mine, but it is nice to know that it is now an adjustable knob.

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Barbara3

Date: 9/1/09 7:32 PM

I know that I did not see a bigger harp listed as a new feature but the two new sergers look like the harp is bigger than older models in the pictures on the website.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Beautiful new Babylock!!!

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

McCall's 8524

photo
by: AK2012

Review
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Christine Jonson Easy Coat

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.