SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Viking Husqvarna 6460 estate find ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Viking Husqvarna 6460 estate find
RitaW
RitaW
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 10/10/06
Send Message

Date: 10/2/09 4:41 PM

I found a Viking 6460 sewing machine this morning at an estate sale. It came with two manuals, tons of feet and accessories, all for $20! I just need to find an extension table since right now I'm just using it with the freearm, but I've been playing with it all day and am very excited to have a new toy.

Ripple Dandelion
star
Ripple Dandelion
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/23/06
Send Message

In reply to RitaW

Date: 10/2/09 5:07 PM

Jealous! Is it the red one? All of the colors are cool, actually. Have fun.

------
Virginia
http://asewinglife.blogspot.com

RitaW
RitaW
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 10/10/06
Send Message

In reply to Ripple Dandelion

Date: 10/2/09 5:17 PM

no, it's not the red one. it's white with the different-colored stitches. very cute. it's so quiet! my girls have even been playing with it. It came with about 8 different feet I just have to figure out what they are for!

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/4/08
Send Message

Date: 10/2/09 9:16 PM

I bought the red one new and made 35 - 40 garments a month, including jeans for my girls. I literally wore out the gears and almost cried when I had to give it up. I didn't have the money to replace it with another TOL so bought a used Viking Computerized 400 that I used until I bought a used #1+, and then the Diamond a year ago. I now have all three but came close to buying a 6460 that my dealer took as a trade-in earlier this year. Three machines are enough so I talked myself out of it. It was $200, but I am still learning how to use the Diamond. I use the #1+ for most basic sewing so I don't have to remove the Diamond's embroidery unit. I take the 400 to church sewing group. Those Vikings just keep going, and going, and going.

I think you will love your 6460. It is a really versatile, sturdy machine. I never had to have mine repaired the whole time I had it.

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936 Singer Coverstitch

RitaW
RitaW
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 10/10/06
Send Message

In reply to katlew03

Date: 10/3/09 0:22 AM

Thanks! I've been reading through the manual and am just amazed at what this machine will do. I've run into a problem though, I've been playing with it today and it was sewing fine but all of a sudden it will just sew in reverse, won't go forward. When I push in the reverse button, it just goes in reverse a little faster. any suggestions??? maybe I hit something by accident..I really didn't want to take it in for service yet, I wanted to do some real sewing tomorrow...darn it.

jilly cooper
jilly cooper
Advanced Beginner
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/15/08
Send Message

In reply to RitaW

Date: 10/3/09 0:28 AM

Rita if you join the yahoo viking group for pre 1980 machines you will find that this can be a common problem, and you will find the remedy.

I totally love these vikings but they need to be used regularly or they kind of seize up, servicing IMHO is not an option (It is essential) , if the previous owners haven't used this or at least turned the knobs regularly then it will need some love and care before you sew.

There are some wonderful people on the yahoo group, and Bill Holman who is on PR as well is a absolute wealth on info on these beauties. Enjoy your machine.

ETA: clarification that servicing (either DIY or a tech) is essential after these machines have been left idol.
-- Edited on 10/3/09 2:26 AM --

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to RitaW

Date: 10/3/09 2:24 AM

I remember several posts too about the Vikings seizing up from not being used and the discussions on line as Jilly already posted where Bill Holman gave good info concerning the problem.
Have you tried making a button hole yet? It seems I remember something about using the buttonhole function to help fix the problem. My memory is not so great lately but making a BH is worth a try.
-- Edited on 10/3/09 2:25 AM --

RitaW
RitaW
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 10/10/06
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 10/3/09 7:08 AM

thanks for the suggestions. I've applied to join the yahoo group so I definitely post a message there and look through the comments. I do plan on getting it serviced by a professional but I really need ot wait a couple of weeks and wanted to play with my machine in the meantime. I'm still so excited about it! thanks again.

jilly cooper
jilly cooper
Advanced Beginner
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/15/08
Send Message

In reply to RitaW

Date: 10/3/09 7:10 AM

Hope your machine gets all your love and starts sewing up a storm.

RitaW
RitaW
Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 10/10/06
Send Message

In reply to jilly cooper

Date: 10/3/09 12:26 PM

I'm so happy ...fixed it all by myself! Just made a pad for it so it won't scratch my desk and it just sews wonderfully. I will have to have it serviced soon there just to get it all cleaned up and cleaned out. I really need an extension table - sewing on the freearm is not much fun. :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Viking Husqvarna 6460 estate find

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.