SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Jeans pattern recommendation

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Jeans pattern recommendation
Least changes for plus wide leg jeans
ClaireEmily
starstarstar
ClaireEmily
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/16/09 6:54 AM

Having just finished my first pair of pants and I ready to move onto jeans, but I am not sure what pattern to choose.

I WANT a low waisted, contour waistband, rigid denim, widish straight leg (will need a full bottom adjustment) sized for 37" waist, 47" hip (pattern size 22-24). I like the 'boyfriend" style jeans that are around at the moment.

I am considering McCall 5142McCall 5142 the low waisted curvy version. But I am a bit put off that it has a straight waistband and am not sure how hard it would be to swap in the contour one.

I am also considering Jalie 2908 but am a bit worried about the sizing and fit when using rigid denim as it is designed for stretch - and that I have full thighs and it seems very fitted though the thighs. Also everyone that has reviewed it has been very slim, so I am worried it might not be that great in an size BB-CC.

Any larger jeans sewers has success with jeans patterns?

------
Claire - Melbourne, Australia

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

In reply to ClaireEmily

Date: 10/16/09 9:31 AM

I don't have a recommendation on jeans...I haven't found a pattern that I am happy with yet...but as for your question about swapping in a contoured waistband, I have done that. I used one that had a center back seam, and no side seams, so less to line up, and just traced it off a pattern that I knew fit. I also trimmed down the top of the pant that I wanted to add it to just slightly because I didn't want to end up with the waist riding up too high, and it worked just fine.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 10/16/09 9:46 AM

I don't know it these are still in print, but I used burda8408 for my very favorite pair of jeans. The waistband is not countoured, but didn't need to be. These were not low rise, but not mom jeans either. I also made burda8704, once. The waistband is contoured, although I messed up the sizing. They ended up too tight. My latest pattern is HotPatterns Weekender Jean Jeanius Trouser Jeans, which I haven't made, yet. I ordered the demim from Vogue, yesterday. The jeans are supposed to sit 1.5" below the waist in front & 1" in back. There is a contoured waistband on these. I'll have to let you know how they go.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to ClaireEmily

Date: 10/16/09 9:32 PM

The contour waistband isn't hard to swap out, but it needs to fall at about the same area on your body. I took the contour waist from the older Plamer Pletsch jeans pattern and put it on this one here The waistband is supposed to fall below the waist and there was no way a straight band was going to fit my curvy body. I used a band that has a cb seam. Of course, I haven't cut it out yet, but I have fit it and it looks like it will work for me. I used the boot cut, but the straight leg can easily be made wider if it isn't wide enough for you.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

ClaireEmily
starstarstar
ClaireEmily
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/16/09 9:47 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. Glad to know that swapping in a contour band is not so hard - I think I will need one in every pair of pants. I have been dreaming pants patterns overnight and am now considering
Hotpatterns weekender jean jeanious trouser jeans which has a contour waist and the mid rise and straight legs I am after, or
Burda pants 7669 which has a really wide contour waist and what looks like lots of shaping through the hip.

I guess I just need to try them and see. I'm beginning to see that pants sewing is a LOT of fitting and trying things out and hard work!

------

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

In reply to ClaireEmily

Date: 10/18/09 12:48 PM

I made the Burda 7669 and love them, but they don't fit like jeans.....a great trouser pattern.

I have also made the Jalie jeans and I'm amazed how good the fit is in the plus size range - I made a DD with adjustments to shorten the front and lengthen the back. The low rise version in Jalie is really low and might accommodate your wide contour WB nicely. I'm going to make a pair of Jalie Jeans out of non-stretch denim next -- they fit great right out of the dryer, so I'm hoping a stable denim will fit and hold its shape longer.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 10/18/09 1:58 PM

I'm still in the process of fitting this pattern (it's not the pattern - it's me who ... er ... got bigger since I first muslined it), but I can tell it's well-drafted, modern looking/fitting, and good for curves. It does have a contour waistband.

J Stern women's jeans

It is drafted for tall women so if you're not tall, you will have to petite it in the legs but that's easy enough to do and the pattern is marked well.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

ClaireEmily
starstarstar
ClaireEmily
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/20/09 4:10 PM

Debbie and Kathi, thanks for your replies.

Debbie, that J. Stern pattern looks great. I'll have to save my pennies for international postage. I like the idea of independant patterns but haven't tried many yet apart from Farbenmix. And I have accepted that size changes are a part of life, annoying as it is. That is why I always trace off my patterns - so I can use a different size at another time, if need be.

Kathi, I'm glad that the Jalie jeans worked well for you. I don't want a really low rise jean, just mid rise really, so maybe the low rise with a wide contour waistband would be the go. I'm glad that Burda pattern was good for you too. Burda patterns have just gone on sale at Spotlight here, so I'll definitely pick that one up if they have it.

Thanks again ladies. It's so great to get some practical help and recommendations........

------

Nancy Rhodes
star
Nancy Rhodes  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 10/24/09 9:09 AM

ClaireEmily, many successes reported here on PR for the Jalie jean...but design for a particular fit with a specific fabric is a critical element of pattern fitting.

So if the pattern is for a stretch denim, using a non-stretch is asking for trouble. Sort of like making orange juice with lemons and being shocked it is sour. That stretch --or lack of stretch is critical to how the pattern is shaped.

------
... cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Nancy Rhodes

Date: 1/17/12 9:32 PM

Bumping for current quesiton.

Future search term: pantsthread

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Jeans pattern recommendation

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Simplicity 5705

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Buy Now
Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things Ballet Slippers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.