SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > binding a v-neck of a knit tee with woven bias-tape ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
binding a v-neck of a knit tee with woven bias-tape
GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 11/15/09 3:04 PM

I am about to bind the v-neck of a tee made from beautiful jersey with a ready-to-use woven bias tape.

By 'ready-to-use' I mean that the bias tape is already lengthwise folded in the middle, and that the long edges are pressed towards each other; so all I need to do is slip the edge of the tee (seam allowances cut off) between the folded woven bias tape and sew it in place. Voila!

I have done this successfully with scoop necks but struggle with binding v-necks in general: What would I need to do diferently with the tape above when binding a v-neck? Am sure that there are a couple of boards or tutorials out there addressing my question but have not been able to find what I was hoping to find.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

------
Happy Sewing!

JAS

JAS  Friend of PR
Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 1/6/03
Send Message

In reply to GBK

Date: 11/15/09 9:15 PM

I think you'll get better results if you use self fabric as a binding instead of the woven tape.

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 5:30 AM

I am bringing this back up as I am getting ready to do several shirts with V-necks and have the same question. I don't think it would matter what type of binding I use?!? Am I wrong?

I am unsure how to put the binding in and obtain the nice finished look at the V in the front. This cannot be like binding a quilt where you just flip it and miter, is it?

Hope someone can be helpful.

Thank you

------
Karen

CathrynR
star
CathrynR  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 6/26/08
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 7:02 AM

FWIW, I think the bias woven binding can look particularly wonderful, especially if it is a satin.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to KarenTeel

Date: 12/15/09 7:05 AM

Karen, last year I made a few knit tops with v-necks. I used a self fabric binding, but I stabilized the vee with Design Plus Fusible Straight Stay Tape which gave a niced finished look to the vee in front. For more information about the tape and the process, please see this review which includes the v-neck, in addition to a crossover neckline.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

JudyP
starstar
JudyP
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 7:48 AM

I use self-fabric binding on knits, I've never tried to use a woven.

I sew v neckbands by crossing one side over the other at the v instead of stitching the v from the inside. Stay stitch the point of the v about 1.5" on either side of the v and clip the v point to the stitching. (I stitch a line of basting in a contrasting color down the center front at the vpoint so it is easier to see where to pivot at the v when sewing.) I pin the center of the neckband to the center back of the neck and then stitch the neckband to the shirt, stretching the band slightly as I go along starting and stopping about 1" from the point of the v on either side. I then turn the neckband in to it's finished position, cross the ends under the v point and press. if the fabric doesn't lay flat I sometimes use a little fusible web to hold it in place for topstitching. Then I topstitch the neckband in place with either my sewing machine or my coverstitch on my serger.

Practice on leftover pieces of your knit fabric to get the feel of this.

Judy

------
judyp

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 8:00 AM

Nancy and Judy I wish your explanations could be put into the techniques library somehow. Vee necks on knits are something I always avoided. Thanks for the ideas on how to handle this area. I need to try again as a vee is such a nice look.

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy

Date: 12/15/09 1:40 PM

Mssewcrazy, I recommend you first practice by making a few v-neck dickies from an inexpensive knit. When you feel comfortable with the technique, you can move on to an actual tee shirt. It took me a few tries, but I eventually caught on.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

Therisa
starstar
Therisa
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 5:32 PM

Thank you Nancy 2001! I have some of this stuff and for the life of me could not remember the name to re-order! This straight fusible stay tape is the greatest!

------
Fabric Purchased in 2011: 37 yards
Fabric Sewn in 2011: 0 yards
Current Contest Moderator: Lined Jacket
Current Contest Participant: Mini Wardrobe

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 12/15/09 7:06 PM

Thank you Nancy and JudyP. Knew there had to be more to it than I thought. I will take your advice and practice on scraps first. Nancy, I have both the stay tape and fusible seam on order. I usually use clear elastic on the shoulders, but it will not be suitable here. I have printed the review Nancy and your advice Judy. They will be read many times while I practice as I always seem to miss a word here and there and then wonder why things look goofy.

You are both correct that this must be done right or the whole top is just not going to look good.

to you both

------
Karen

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> binding a v-neck of a knit tee with woven bias-tape

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Butterick 5709

photo
by: slmstyle

Review
Victory Hazel Paper Pattern

Victory Hazel Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now
Simplicity 5189

photo
by: spasibason...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.