SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Cutting pattern on crossgrain ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting pattern on crossgrain
ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 12/4/09 10:40 PM

I bought some beautiful striped "kashmere" cotton flannel today. I didn't realize until just now that the stripes are along the crossgrain. I'm making S2543 for my mother and I need the stripes to go vertically. This would mean cutting the pattern pieces on the crossgrain, however, which I've never done before. Should I expect to have any issues or do you all think this should work? It's a pretty tightly woven flannel, so I'm thinking it should be fine, but I'd like some input before I actually cut it.

Thanks!
Erin

------
My sewing blog - www.gravamenofthestitch.com

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz

Date: 12/4/09 10:44 PM

I did the same thing a while back, to my disgust, so I look forward to seeing what kind of answers you get!

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz

Date: 12/4/09 10:57 PM

Go ahead and cut it on the cross grain, it's done all the time. You'll even need less yardage that way too. I have had fabrics that have stretch on the length wise grain and I've cut them on the cross grain so that the stretch goes around the body. Since this is cotton flannel make sure that you prewash it more than once. 3 Times is my choice.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Janie Viers
star
Janie Viers  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 12/4/09 11:18 PM

I only worry about not using the selveged edges folded to meet rather than the cut edges meeting when I am making an item with fullness. I know that cutting from selvege to selvege strips creates fuller ruffles than fabric cut along the selvege does.

------
JanieV

ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 12/4/09 11:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that the cross grain shouldn't be an issue!

I was planning to wash the flannel twice, but I'll throw it in for a third time. I'm also making this for my father out of a very heavy flannel and am alternating the two fabrics between the washer and the dryer. Hopefully I can get both fabrics washed and dried completely tonight. I really want to get both cut out tomorrow and at least one completed by Sunday night.

Erin

------

MsMaryO

MsMaryO
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 9/3/07
Send Message

In reply to ekFitz

Date: 12/5/09 9:11 AM

Hi Erin,

I love those cotton "Kashmere's". There were a whole bunch of them at Mill End store in Portland. Their washed sample was still as nice as the unwashed yardage. I was surprised because I thought it would pill like crazy if it was washed.

I recently cut a pair of pants on the crossgrain and I wasn't happy with the results. They were a wool gabardine but had more stretch in the lengthwise grain than the cross grain. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I'm wearing sideways pants when I wear them...

Let me know how it comes out for you.

------
"Why be difficult?.....with just a little more effort, you can be completely impossible."

2009 out: 25.5 yds
2009 in: 15 yds.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/5/09 10:29 AM

Cutting on the crossgrain is not an issue. I do it all the time and have had no ill effects. Except, for one fabric that had an invisible "nap." I cut pieces in both directions and it was sort of noticeable when the light hit the finished jacket. I chalked it up to artisitic talent! I still wear it.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 12/5/09 11:34 AM

I've cut on the cross-grain quite a bit and as long as you are aware of the fabrics properties (i.e. what kind of stretch there is both lengthwise and crosswise, nap, pattern direction, etc), you should be fine.

I'm always on the look-out for fabrics for men's skating pants. I found this fabulous pin-stripe fabric with the pin-stripe on the crossgrain. There was significant stretch on the crossgrain but very little on the lengthwise grain. Since men's skating pants require more stretch on the length of the pants with at least a little stretch around the body, this fabric worked perfect for pin-stripe skating pants but on the crossgrain. They hang beautifully and move just the way the guys want them to.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

In reply to MsMaryO

Date: 12/5/09 2:38 PM

Funny you mention Mill End - that's exactly where I bought this - at the Milwaukie store! I can't shop at any other store these days (except Josephine's when I need thread or a notion).

Hopefully the coat will turn out okay on the crossgrain. There really isn't any stretch in the fabric, so I think it will be okay. I'm also lining the coat with a flannel backed coat lining, so maybe that will help it keep its shape.

Erin

------

Natalie D.
star
Natalie D.
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/31/05
Send Message

Date: 12/5/09 2:45 PM

I've always taken issue with sewing books (most of them) that say to always cut on the lengthwise grain or that fail to explain the salient facts about grain (99.9%). You know... like women (most people who sew) are too stupid to comprehend the details so just give them a simple rule. Bah! We can make better choices if we understand the process.

When fabric is woven, the lengthwise yarns (the warp) are stretched pretty taut on the loom (mostly) unlike the crosswise yarns (the weft) which are usually far more relaxed during the weaving process. Then the fabric, still stretched on the warp, is wrapped in bolts or rolls. Since the weft was not stretched (usually), it remains relaxed and a bit stretchy. But, the lengthwise grain--- the warp--- may still be stretched and may "relax" only after being removed from the bolt. So, for that and other reasons including the density of warp yarns versus the density of weft yarns, the warp is usually far more prone to shrinkage than the weft.

Generally, we lay out pattern pieces on the warp because (1) of shrinkage; and, (2) it is preferable to have more stretch around one's girth than on the vertical plane. All fabrics are different, however, and the type of weave plays a role as well. For instance, I would be unlikely to lay out a fitted jacket on plain weave woolen weft because the fitting may turn out to be a problem.. ie- no give. OTOH, if it is a loosely fit pattern, then all might be fine. You have to judge each fabric and pattern individually. I hope this helps a little.

------
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Cutting pattern on crossgrain

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Butterick 6520 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2010-136

photo
by: Elaray

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Sew Chic Contance Dress Pattern (ln8404)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.