SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Embellisher/Felter Machine? Anyone own one? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Embellisher/Felter Machine? Anyone own one?
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 12/27/09 3:29 AM

At the store I work at, they have the Janome felting machine. I had not had the opportunity to play with one until a few days ago. Now I am lusting after one!
Does anyone have one of these machines and if so, what types of things did you do with it? I took in a scrap of old jeans and it worked wool roving right into a design. I am wondering what other fabrics it can be used with. (I don't think it would look good for me to spend all my time at work "playing with" the floor model, eh?)
So what have y'all done with your felting machines?
-- Edited on 12/27/09 3:30 AM --

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

no7262
star
no7262
Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/5/09
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 12/27/09 9:16 AM

I would love to hear more about this too!

Nora :)

------
Nora :)

Linda E.
star
Linda  E.
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 4/23/02
Send Message

Date: 12/27/09 10:44 AM

I just got an email about felting wool for scarves. Maybe this would be of interest to you using the machine. felting. scarves.

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 12/27/09 3:03 PM

I have a Babylock 7 needle and it is a lot of fun. You can embellish just about anything. Fleece, flannel, silk, wool, denim, lace and so on. There are no rules!! Try it and see is the mantra. A quick google search will give you a thousand ideas. There are even Yahoo groups for machine needle felting and embellishing. Threads mag had an article about using it on lace, silk chiffon and dupioni last year. Can't find the link right now, sorry.

Just be aware it is a huge time sucker....it's lots of fun!! and if you have zero self-control (like me) home cooked meals will become a distant memory. (I suggest frozen Bertolli dinners) LOL

Edit to add thought: It's really nice to add machine embroidery along with it.
-- Edited on 12/27/09 3:05 PM --

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

In reply to my horse

Date: 12/28/09 1:58 AM

Quote: my horse
I have a Babylock 7 needle and it is a lot of fun. You can embellish just about anything. Fleece, flannel, silk, wool, denim, lace and so on. There are no rules!! Try it and see is the mantra. A quick google search will give you a thousand ideas. There are even Yahoo groups for machine needle felting and embellishing. Threads mag had an article about using it on lace, silk chiffon and dupioni last year. Can't find the link right now, sorry.

Just be aware it is a huge time sucker....it's lots of fun!! and if you have zero self-control (like me) home cooked meals will become a distant memory. (I suggest frozen Bertolli dinners) LOL

Edit to add thought: It's really nice to add machine embroidery along with it.
-- Edited on 12/27/09 3:05 PM --

OK you enabler you! I am going into work tomorrow and may be possibly walking out with the Janome 725 embellishing machine!And I don't mean I am going to shop-lift it--KA-CHING!
Hopefully my husband won't notice another machine in the sewing room!Maybe I can get my DD interested in this...Yeah that's it...its for the KIDS!
BTW, the Bertolli sounds good to me

------
Janome 6500P, Babylock Eclipse SX, Janome Coverpro 1000, Babylock BLCS, Juki 654, Juki 735, Janome 1600PDB, Brother ULT 2002D, Babylock Spirit, Brother 770

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 12/28/09 8:10 AM

I have also been wanting to know more about these machines. I want to know how much extras you need. I don't need a whole lots of extra expense but would love to try this. When I got my embroidery machine I didn't realize the extras I would need but would do it again. This time I want to know what I'm doing before doing it.

------
sewing grammy

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewinglady1947

Date: 12/28/09 10:53 AM

It looks to me like you just need the base fabric or garment and then the roving or loose wool, decorative fiber or yarn or??? to apply to the base fabric. The one we have in the store has had felt applied to felt--but I am not that into felt. The last issue of Sew Stylish has an old mn's sweater refashioned into a women's wear with felting accents. It looks like they used the roving fibers for this.
I think the other cost involved would be the needle assembly and needles. The replacement I saw in the store was $30-$40.

------

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 12/28/09 11:25 AM

Lots of good info on this website. This is the tutorials page to give you an overview. She also sells replacement needles for a lot less than dealers. Carries a limited supply of basic materials and is the owner of the best yahoo group for this type of embellishment.

This site should give you an idea of extra costs. It is very minimal compared to machine embroidery!

As far as buying it for the kids....that's not an unreal idea. Kids love to do it and get instant gratification. They are more prone to break needles because of the hand/eye coordination required but they learn quickly. The major problem with using it with my 4 yo twin GDs is that the projects are so fast they want to do more-more-more!!!! A good starter is yarn on fleece. I bought some Wally World fleece earmuff headband thingys and they squiggled yarn all over them. They love to say they 'made' it. I sit the younger kids in my lap so I'm in control of the foot pedal. There is a plastic guard around the needles and they could get stuck I guess, but with stern warnings they seem to be very concious of them and do well.

Have fun and let us know if you get it!

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

dodger

dodger
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/7/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/09 5:43 PM

I have been Jonesing for a one for a couple of years now. I'm a member of a couple of the Embellishing groups on Yahoo.
There are some great prices on Ebay. 199 free shipping on the Janome and 99 on the Singer with free shipping.
Remember, I'm the machine junkie.

dodger

dodger
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 9/7/04
Send Message

Date: 12/31/09 10:44 PM

Well I did it, read my new thread in sewing machines. Brought home today. YEAH ME. Sorry I'll tone it down now.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Embellisher/Felter Machine? Anyone own one?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Butterick 5355

photo
by: dignsew

Review
Vogue Patterns 1258

photo
by: tigergirl

Review
Christine Jonson Three Tees

Christine Jonson Three Tees

Buy Now
Favorite Things A Wallet Purse Pattern

Favorite Things A Wallet Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.