SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Using an elastic foot ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Using an elastic foot
making panties
Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 9:57 AM

I made my first pair of panties and am wondering if using (buying) a foot for applying the elastic would help. Or is there a "trick" I don't know about.

I had the problem when stretching the elastic that the fabric would slip under the elastic. I was sewing the elastic to the wrong side, then later turning and stitching it again (that part was okay, just the initial stitching on was difficult.)

I haven't tried the serger yet, that's an option.

I don't have any fancy elastics yet, so this is going to be my initial method of stitching.

Thanks.

------
Annette
http://needlesnails.blogspot.com/

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 10:15 AM

I like to sew the elastic in a circle and mark in 1/2--also mark the panty legs in half. Then you can pull on the elastic more in the "cheek" area so it "hugs" better. My 1/2 mark on the elastic is usually almost an inch past the 1/2 mark on the panty heading towards the front of the leg.
ETA: I serge my elastic on first --3 thread big stitches so I don't have a lot of thread on there. Just practice not cutting the elastic with the serger blade!
-- Edited on 1/5/10 10:37 AM --

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos

Date: 1/5/10 10:25 AM

That's not the problem. It's more that the "edges" of the fabric and elastic don't stay together, slip apart more.''

I've never used an elastic foot and I was wondering if it somehow does the work for me.

------
Annette

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Annette Wright

Date: 1/5/10 11:29 AM

you could try the sewing guide bar the kind that you attach to the side of the machine its about two inches long. This would only let the fabric over so far. What kind of elastic foot are you using to what machine? Some of the elastic foots alow the elastic to move freely with a little tension and the fabric underneath. hear is the sewing guide bar.attachment It would be one like this one.
If you have one see if it works for you. Hope this helps

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 11:49 AM

I have never got it right with an elastic guide. Mrs Moos is the same way I do it and was taught in industry to do this. When we had a lots to do we had a guide but it was hard to keep the measurements the same. I would never use a guide unless I had a great quanity of work to do. Then I might try it. I have presewed this with a long basting stitch or chain stitch before serging. It takes a little practice.
-- Edited on 1/5/10 11:53 AM --

------
sewing grammy

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 11:56 AM

Quote: Idunna
That's not the problem. It's more that the "edges" of the fabric and elastic don't stay together, slip apart more.''

It takes practice. And you need to sew/stop/rearrange often. With practice, this becomes a rhythm.

While you're practicing, instead of dividing elastic/fabric into fourths, try eighths, or even sixteenths.

An elastic foot won't guide the edge of the fabric any better than your hands. They work best when you are not sewing right on the edge. They'll work, but you'll have to practice with that too. It's not an instant gratification kind of thing.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

Annette Wright
starstarstar
Annette Wright
Kansas USA
Member since 10/22/08
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 1:54 PM

Thanks, I'll just keep practicing.

------
Annette

Natalie D.
star
Natalie D.
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/31/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 3:25 PM

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an elastic foot! I wish I could find some high quality sheer weight all-cotton knits for panties.

------
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons" Ralph Waldo Emerson

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/5/10 7:34 PM

It helps to use the needle down position. I like to align my elastic with the raw edge and move the needle over to the left.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

julie w
star
julie w
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 12/25/06
Send Message

Date: 1/6/10 3:26 AM

I sew my elastic to the legs the same way as Mrs Moos. I did buy an elasticator foot with the idea of getting legs of multiple pairs more even. IMO it just made matters worse and I didn't get on with it at all and went back to the serger. Practice as everyone else says is the key, take your time and pin as much as necessary.
Julie

------
Julie, Perth, WA

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Using an elastic foot

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

McCall's 6078

photo
by: QuiltSewSe...

Review
Carol's Zoo 1

photo
by: ssssdeb

Review
Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Petite Plus 502 Pattern

Buy Now
Miranda Day Bag

Miranda Day Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.