SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Sweater knits ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sweater knits
How to sew this fabric?
AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 1/31/10 3:17 PM

I need some help on sewing a sweater knit fabric. It has a medium drape to it.
I want a long sleeve unfitted t-shirt type top.
I did look through my books on sewing knits, but can't find exactly what I am looking for. I think my problem is that I don't have any matching ribbing to use to finish the neck edge.
I really wish you could buy ribbing to match the knits.
I will try and figure out how to get a picture added so you can see the fabric.

------
Ada

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 1/31/10 3:49 PM

You don't need ribbing for neckline trim. Check out this fine video by Sarah Veblen for using self-fabric to make the right-sized binding for the neckline.

Kayseri
starstar
Kayseri  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 4/21/09
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 2/1/10 3:46 AM

There was a thread a few weeks ago about making your own ribbing out of your main fabric.

It looked so useful I made a note of these illustrated instructions:
Sewing Divas

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 2/1/10 9:56 AM

I recently had success using my 4-thread serger to sew the seams & my coverstitch for the hems. I used wooly nylon thread in the loopers. An option for neck edges is using foldover elastic. Sewzannes has a lot of colors to choose from. Mine was actually a hoody, which is my way of cheating on the neckline.

Karen31
star
Karen31  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 1/25/09
Send Message

Date: 2/1/10 11:50 AM

Hmm. I don't know if this would work on a sweater knit, you may have to do some testing to see... I have had same thoughts about matching ribbing, sweater or other knits. But Threads had done an article a while ago in which "ribbing" was created from fleece using a twin needle, essentially it allowed the fabric to "tunnel" as you might in creating pintucks - and continuous "tucks" created what looked just like self fabric ribbing!

------
Karen

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Karen31

Date: 2/20/10 11:16 AM

I have that Threads, I'll look up the artical. thanks

------
Ada

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 8/27/12 9:12 AM

Bump this please, winter is coming!
-- Edited on 8/28/12 7:58 AM --

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 8/28/12 8:01 AM

How do you finish V or round necklines in sweater knits so they are flat like RTW? The videos here don't address heavier knits, self-binding them can be thick. Anyone have success is re-purposing pullovers into cardigans?

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 8/28/12 11:22 AM

The best v-neck method to use is the crossover V-neck, the ribbing laps over at the center front. I learned it from stretch and sew, I have an old book of theirs about sewing sweater knits.
I usually felt my old sweaters and make crafts, such as bags, and I made a dog coat. I bound the edges with foldover elastic and it came out really nice.
photo of coat
I bought an XL mens cashmere sweater and lightly felted it. It was still too big, so I took in the shoulder seams and the side seams. I just used my sewing machine. The felting keeps the knit from raveling.
I also made my daughter a cardigan out of a long sleeved t shirt of mine, I cut down the cf, ironed a strip of tricot interfacing along the cut edge. I folded it under, sewed and added plastic snaps. She wears it over a tank top to make a sweater set.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 8/28/12 4:28 PM

You can just hem sweater knits, they don't have to have the ribbing. I usually prefer to just hem for the dressier look.

I also stockpile wool ribbings when I find them, charcoals, blacks etc, as they're not always easy to find.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Sweater knits

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Paloma Top, Tunic & Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Buy Now
Simplicity 2563

photo
by: sdelano

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.