SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Announcements > Member in Focus - Sew4Fun ( Moderated by Deepika, Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Member in Focus - Sew4Fun
Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 3:42 PM

PR Name: Sew4Fun
Name: Belinda
Birthday: August 1966
Blog: sew-4-fun.blogspot.com
How did you learn to sew: As a child I watched as my mother sewed, taking it all in and helping when I could. In high school I took Home Economics where I had an excellent sewing teacher who taught me the basics. After this I am completely self-taught. I learn best through doing and, as I've sewn almost every day of my life, I've had a lot of practice.
What aspect of sewing do you find most challenging: Visualizing two-dimensional fabric as a three-dimensional garment, and how it will look on my body. Most of my wadders (aka failures) stem from falling in love with a fabric or pattern but forgetting to visualize it as a garment on my body. I've noticed when I consider the garment first I have a greater success rate. I'd like to change my thinking but it's hard when there are so many beautiful fabrics and patterns calling my name. Even more so as I love colour, prints and texture. I don't have the same love of clothes so fabric and patterns tend to come first and the clothes are an afterthought.
Which sewing book do you refer to most often: I don't own a lot of sewing books. While learning to sew in my twenties, my main reference book was a 1982 edition of Vogue Sewing. It still sits on my book shelf.
What are your sewing goals for this year: This year I've deliberately not set any goals. I want to relax and get back to enjoying my sewing. Enjoy the process and the end results, without any self-imposed expectations, goals, self-criticism or apologizes. Sewing should be fun.
What are you sewing right now: Pants. I've just finished sewing two pairs of capri pants (both Burda patterns) and I'm currently working out the fit issues on a third pair.
Pick your favorite pattern: It would have to be a knit top from Ottobre Woman magazine, 02-2007-04. Nothing beats a good, basic knit top. I have made it over twenty times.
What you love most about PatternReview?: Would it surprise you if I said everything?The thing I find the most helpful is the Pattern Reviews themselves. I won't sew a new pattern without first reading the reviews. I also love the community and being able to help others.
Any other hobbies? My passion for garment or fashion sewing runs deep, so there isn't a lot of room or time for other hobbies. Over the years I've dabbled in other crafts but garment sewing has been my number one hobby my entire life.
Your profession, where do you live? I live in Melbourne, Australia with my husband and our two children (13yo daughter and 9yo son). Melbourne has been my home for the past 25 years. Prior to this I grew up in the country on a farm. I have a Bachelor of Business degree and currently my husband and I own and run a manufacturing business.
Sew4Fun's Pattern Reviews
-- Edited on 2/19/10 4:18 PM --

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 4:38 PM

I'm glad to meet someone else who makes no sewing goals! It keeps the sewing fun and a hobby - not a mighty weight hanging over you.
What does she and her husband manufacture?

I love that term "wadders" - it's so descriptive.
Nice to get to know you better,Sew4Fun.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

mhk3boys
star
mhk3boys
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 11/22/08
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 4:59 PM

I'm glad to see Belinda as Member In Focus. I really benefited from Belinda's fitting expertise in helping me with fitting a top! I FINALLY feel liked it clicked and I'm enjoying sewing again because of it, thanks Belinda, you're a real lifesaver! I haven't got around to fitting pants yet because I love making tops that finally freaking fit! No more pulling across the bust!! Yaahoo!!

------
Relax, don't get your elastic all twisted up in your waistband!
Hell hath no fury for the poor soul that sews an ill-fitting garment! Thank God for Surefitdesigns.com!

Debbie Cook
starstarstarstar
Debbie Cook
USA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 5:01 PM

Belinda ROCKS!!

20 makes of the Otto tee? I'd better get busy.

------
--
"I base my fashion sense on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com

jilly cooper
jilly cooper
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/15/08
Send Message

In reply to Deepika

Date: 2/19/10 7:33 PM

I love Belinda's enthusiasm and generous nature to always help others with tips and info.

I also love her passion for sewing that it should be fun - I totally agree.

Her reviews are always very helpful.

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 7:46 PM

What a great choice for MIF. Belinda is so helpful to so many and I've learned a lot from her reviews.

Heatherrique
starstarstarstar
Heatherrique  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/27/06
Send Message

Date: 2/19/10 9:19 PM

Yeah, Belinda! You are a true inspiration!

------
Sewed ~663.25 yards since 2000, ~ 132 yards in 2009, ~ 80 yds in 2010, ~ 99 yards in 2011, ~56.5 yards in 2012, ~53.25 yards in 2013

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." Milton Berle
sewspiciousmindful.blogspot.com

Christina Sonja
starstarstarstar
Christina Sonja  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 7/2/06
Send Message

Date: 2/22/10 10:10 AM

I just used Belinda's bound buttonhole tutorial to demonstrate bound buttonhole methods to my sewing group 2 days ago. It's one of my faves.

Thanks, Belinda, and congrats on being member in focus!!

------
Christina
www.assortednotions.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 2/22/10 10:52 AM

A thunderous roar of applause! This member certainly deserves the spotlight with all the help she has given me and others. I look forward to her many posts of help, whether or not they can help me---she is soo knowledgeable! Yay Belinda! You rock!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Riordan
star
Riordan
Advanced
NE USA
Member since 7/7/05
Send Message

Date: 2/22/10 11:27 AM

Much applause!!! I have admired Belinda's work/artistry since I first read one of her reviews. Love the blog, too!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Announcements >> Member in Focus - Sew4Fun

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.