SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Knitting Lounge > Knitting Socks ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Knitting Socks
beginner questions
BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 4:24 PM

Please help. I would like to learn to knit socks. Years ago, I learned how to knit & purl - but just enough to make a scarf.

My questions:

*How hard is it to make socks?

*Should I take a class or buy a book? I'm the kind of person that can teach myself by reading a book.

* If a book, what book would you recommend?

* I've noticed there are dp needles, circular needles & magic loop. Whick is better for a beginner?

Thanks.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

pakrk
star
pakrk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 11/22/05
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 5:27 PM

I also can learn from a book/pattern/drawing. I started with a simple sock pattern from my local yarn shop and graduated to Queen Kahuna Creations.

I'm no expert but the dp needles drive me crazy! I watched Cat Borhdi on YouTube to learn how to do circular needles. For me, waaayyy easier.

------
~Kathy
Pfaff Creative Performance
Babylock 5380E

pakrk
star
pakrk  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 11/22/05
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 5:28 PM

That should be Cat BorDhi, not BorHdi. Sorry about that. She has several knitting videos on YouTube. Very helpful.

------
~Kathy
Pfaff Creative Performance
Babylock 5380E

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 7:19 PM

I took my sock knitting classes at my local yarn shop, but I used this site as well and it is extremely helpful. Another one is Knitting Help. Good luck on your socks.

mhk
mhk
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 10:59 PM

I've knitted for a long time but I haven't decided yet if I like knitting socks -- they might be too fiddly for me and my tension gets very tight. People either seem to love knitting socks or they don't like it at all.

The exact title escapes me, but there is a book about knitting socks two at a time (maybe that's the title!). I started with dpns, got very frustrated with them, went to magic loop and liked it, then decided to try knitting two at a time. You actually use the magic loop method for knitting two socks at a time. I liked doing two at a time -- when the socks are done, they're done. You don't have to start all over once you've finished the first one.

www.ravelry.com is a fun site to join -- thousands of knitters post their projects. there are also forums in which you can ask questions, but i don't spend time on them -- i just love looking at all the pictures of potential projects!

marian

edited to add: sock knitting is not hard at all, if you choose a simple pattern. when i began, i decided to try all the methods (dpn, 2 circulars, magic loop) to see which i liked best, and it was the magic loop method, for either a single or two socks. the two-at-a-time book has great illustrated instructions, however do check the author's site for a couple of corrections.

-- Edited on 3/2/10 11:04 PM --
-- Edited on 3/2/10 11:05 PM --

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400

Date: 3/2/10 11:29 PM

It is not hard to make socks. I am self-taught, and have used various methods. My gut feeling is that the basics, the concepts, would be more quickly grasped through a class.

In terms of a good fit, and I mean a really good fit, the best system I have found is the Queen Kahuna measurement chart. However, the learning curve, using two circulars to make two toe-up socks at once, is pretty steep if your previous experience is with 5 sock needles, working from the top down.

Also, you do have more pretty cuff options if you start at the top. It depends. Again, I'd recommend a class to begin with.

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/2/10 11:38 PM

I love to knit socks. And I learned from knittinghelp.com also. Knitty.com has great selection of patterns. I just made socks from the easiest pattern ever. Broadripple (knitty.com). Once you make a few pairs, you'll notice that they are all very similar.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

yorkshire lass
starstar
yorkshire lass
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/23/06
Send Message

Date: 3/3/10 9:39 AM

Hi, I used this site to learn to knit socks last year and I found the instructions super simple to follow. So much so that I became quite sock obsessed and half my friends got socks for christmas.
www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Jenni

------
http://sewyld.blogspot.com/

Chocolate is the answer... what was the question again?

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 3/3/10 2:30 PM

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I went to the library today & got a book-not about socks, just some basics; also bought dp needles & printed some info from the sites some of you mentioned. I'll give it a try & see how it goes. I did find a yarn shop that offers classes, but it's a little out of the way for me. I may check some other places & see what I can find.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

LoriB
starstar
 LoriB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AE GERMANY
Member since 4/23/02
Send Message

Date: 3/3/10 5:00 PM

My favorite book for socks is Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. It's sort of a recipe book for socks to make any size sock with any size gauge (well, within reason), top down or toe up, 4 or 5 dpn or circular needle. This book covers everything.

I personally prefer dpns because it makes sense to me to knit from one needle to the next. I've tried circular and it just didn't suit me. Another thing that makes a difference is the kind of needle. I like to knit with bamboo and wood needles; however, I found that size 0 and 1 wood/bamboo needles bend too much in my hands. Metal needles work better for me now. Also, don't use dpns longer than 5-6 inches because the needles will be too cumbersome to use.

------
Lori (visit my blog at: http://monkeyroom.blogspot.com)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Knitting Lounge >> Knitting Socks

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 103 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 103  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8668

photo
by: Ellenatlga

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.