SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > A stretch pattern for a non-stretch fabric ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
A stretch pattern for a non-stretch fabric
polyestor or rayon I think
PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Subject: Can I use a stretch pattern for a non-stretch fabric Date: 3/6/10 7:14 PM

Can I use a pattern that says it is for jersey or 4-way strech knits on a not-stretchy fabric? Would I have to make it a size bigger or something? I have a rayon or polyestor fabric (mystery) I like that I would like to make out of stretch-only pattern.
Thank you! Poppy
-- Edited on 3/6/10 8:36 PM --
-- Edited on 3/6/10 8:37 PM --

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PolishPoppy

Date: 3/6/10 8:39 PM

You mean use a pattern designed for stretch on a woven, non-stretch fabric? If so, put it from your mind, woman. Stretch patterns take advantage of the fabric to accommodate the body's curves, so they are usually cut with either no ease or what's called 'negative ease,' and they lack shaping details like darts and contoured seams. For these reasons, using a size bigger would not be sufficient.

You would almost certainly find the result pretty disappointing.

PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 3/6/10 8:42 PM

Oh - what a bummer! Then, I guess it seems like there are not a lot of patterns for non-stretch rayons? Or one way polyestor stretch? Do you/or anyone know of any they could recommend?

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

In reply to PolishPoppy

Date: 3/6/10 8:43 PM

>>Can I use a pattern that says it is for jersey or 4-way strech knits on a not-stretchy fabric?

As an advanced sewist I would not do this. It's not that it can't be done. It's that the results, even after sizing up would most like be disappointing and the whole sewing experince would also probably be frustrating. Not only are the styles for non-stretch knits and stretch knits totally different, so are the sewing techniques.

Given there are thousands of patterns available it's easier IMHO to find a pattern more suitable for the fabric you have. My two cents.

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PolishPoppy

Date: 3/6/10 9:53 PM

Quote: PolishPoppy
Oh - what a bummer! Then, I guess it seems like there are not a lot of patterns for non-stretch rayons? Or one way polyestor stretch? Do you/or anyone know of any they could recommend?

There are tons--tons!--of patterns for woven fabrics, both stretch and non-stretch. The pattern descriptions will give you fabric recommendations, but it boils down to sitting at the pattern counter and reading lots and lots of words.
PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 3/7/10 8:47 AM

Ok - Thank you (to all), I am still sad about it...can you belive that I have no shirt patterns that do not call for some stretch across the grain? So just to confirm...I can look for any pattern that says it uses a "woven" material? That can ve rayon or cotton....does that sound right?

servantofclio
star
servantofclio
Advanced Beginner
Massachusetts USA
Member since 3/20/08
Send Message

Date: 3/7/10 10:36 AM

Most patterns will not say they are for "wovens." What you want to look for is any pattern that does NOT say "knit" or specify a certain % of stretch, and then look at what kind of fabrics it suggests. Most patterns will list several suggested fabrics. As an example, I have Kwik Sew 3479 on my desk, which suggests "challis, georgette, silk, silk-like fabrics, crepe, rayon and blends, cotton types." No knits mentioned--all these are intended to be wovens. Rayon is one of the suggestions, and "silk-like" would probably apply to a silky polyester.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to servantofclio

Date: 3/7/10 11:39 AM

Here is an example from Vogue of a pattern for a bunch of standard woven fabrics (scroll down the page). If you read through it, there is no mention of knits, stretch fabric, or fabric with a certain percentage of stretch, which are the key words indicating that the garment's fit relies on a fabric's ability to 'give.'
-- Edited on 3/7/10 11:40 AM --

PolishPoppy
star
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 3/7/10 7:14 PM

OK - Thank you! I will start looking for a suitable pattern for the fabric I already bought!

mamaluv2sew

mamaluv2sew
Advanced Beginner
Ontario CANADA
Member since 5/2/10
Send Message

Date: 6/1/10 10:06 PM

Ladies, I sure understand how she feels. I am a beginner and I am learning about the different fabrics textures etc. I bought this pattern that calls for crepe, tweed and lightweight Boucle. I have non stretch rayon that I would love to use. In your opinion ladies, do you think this would work?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> A stretch pattern for a non-stretch fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Vogue Patterns 1150

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Made By Rae Washi Dress

photo
by: ajhewing

Review
Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Christine Jonson Wrap Top

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.