SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > How do you mark a buttonhole? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you mark a buttonhole?
amysayssew
star
amysayssew
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/08
Send Message

Date: 3/9/10 9:20 PM

How do you mark buttonholes on your fabric?

I'm sewing drawstring pants and need to sew two buttonholes. This is my second pair of pants. With the first, I had no problem with the buttonholes. But this time, the tailor's tacks came out and the chalk that I used to replace the markings turned out to be inaccurate, with one buttonhole being higher than the other. Does anyone know of any easy ways to mark a buttonhole accurately? I read a tip on marking buttonholes with a paper towel, but I didn't quite understand it.

------
Buffalo Modern Sewing Group: http://bit.ly/buffalomodernsewing

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to amysayssew

Date: 3/9/10 10:40 PM

Space Tape on this page is about the slickest buttonhole aid I know of, especially for casual clothing. I always keep it around, because you never know when it's the absolute, only thing that will work.

mmmckay

mmmckay
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 7/24/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/10/10 3:09 PM

That tape looks awesome!

I've always used temporary fabric marker. My current one is the pen with blue Mark-B-Gone on one end and purple disappearing ink on the other. It works great on casual fabrics like cotton, though it may not show up on darker fabric. I recently got some chalk pencils from Clover for dark fabrics. They came in a 3 pack of white, pink, and blue, and they have nice fine points. I haven't used them enough yet to know how much I like them.

To make sure the buttonholes line up, I don't mark them individually. I use an acrylic ruler to make a line or grid. For buttonholes that line up end to end, I make one long line, then mark the start and end of each buttonhole along that line. I sometimes erase the in-between marks with water on a q-tip, if it looks confusing when I'm done. For buttonholes that line up parallel to each other like railroad ties, I make two long lines that mark the ends of the buttonholes, then measure and mark the buttonholes between the lines (like a railroad track). It's a lot faster and more accurate than marking the buttonholes individually.

amysayssew
star
amysayssew
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/08
Send Message

In reply to mmmckay

Date: 3/10/10 3:23 PM

Do you mark the buttonholes after you cut the fabric out and it is pinned to the pattern? Or do you mark them right before you're ready to sew them?

------
Buffalo Modern Sewing Group: http://bit.ly/buffalomodernsewing

lca
star
lca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 6/4/07
Send Message

Date: 3/10/10 3:43 PM

I mark mine right before I sew them. Sometimes, especially on blouses, I don't want the buttonhole where the pattern suggests.

Sewing Joe
star
Sewing Joe
IN USA
Member since 3/7/08
Send Message

Date: 3/10/10 4:22 PM

I only mark where I want the buttonhole to begin. I use the marks on my buttonhole foot to "measure" how long I want the hole to be. If I'm using a machine with a one step buttonhole I only mark the bottom.

I've heard a tip to use water soluble stabilizer to mark the buttonholes. You mark them on the stabilizer and then bast that to the placket. After you sew the buttonholes, you dissolve the stabilizer and pull out your basting. I bought the stabilizer, but haven't actually tried it yet. Anyone else ever done that?

------
Joe in New Albany, iN

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewing Joe

Date: 3/10/10 5:31 PM

I've tried that, Joe, on a couple of difficult fabrics. It works, but compared to using SpaceTape, it's rather clumsy and time-consuming.

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

Date: 3/13/10 11:40 PM

I make a template, and mark the button holes when i'm ready to make them. Most of the time, there's no reason to mark them when you cut out. You can easily figure out where they're supposed to be, and figure out what points to measure from to locate the template. I usually mark only the bottom of the buttonhole, since I use a machine that will make them the right length for me. Just a little dot with a fabric marker.

LouisaP
LouisaP
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

Date: 3/15/10 2:26 PM

I like using the water-soluble embroidery stabilizer, but not the clear stuff (Solvy). I use the H2Gone cheap stuff I got at Walmart for $1/yard.

I found that markers, because they are wet, dissolve the Solvy, rendering it nearly useless. So I use a lead pencil on the H2Gone (it feels like non-woven interfacing), trace the buttonhole markings off my pattern piece, and then pin the H2Gone piece onto my fabric.

Stitch out the buttonholes, clip away most of the stabilizer, and then use a damp washcloth or a wet Q-tip to wisk away all the remnants.

I find that using a stabilizer on the top actually makes my buttonholes look a WHOLE lot nicer, particularly on knits.

Sewing Joe
star
Sewing Joe
IN USA
Member since 3/7/08
Send Message

In reply to LouisaP

Date: 3/15/10 2:41 PM

I'm glad to hear from someone who has actually done this. Using something other than Solvy makes very good sense. I'm going to try this on my next buttonholes. I'm making a corduroy jacket (well, I'm *trying* to at least), and I think that would be easier than trying to mark them on the lumpy fabric.

THANKS!

------
Joe in New Albany, iN

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> How do you mark a buttonhole?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

McCall's 6378 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.