SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > I think I may have solved my overlocker/serger mystery... ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I think I may have solved my overlocker/serger mystery...
aWiSHa

aWiSHa
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/5/10
Send Message

Date: 3/30/10 1:45 AM

A while back now I asked if anyone knew who made minilock overlockers/sergers.
Well the other day I was looking through an old folder of my grandmothers, which is crammed full of knitting and crocheting patterns, when lo and behold I stumbled across this ad for babylocks...

And here (finally!!) is a pic of my orange minilock...

Sorry about the quality of the magazine pic, but if you look closely (somehow!!) you can notice many similarities between the two machines.

The same shape and the badges/nameplates are in the same places.

What do you think? Have I solved my mystery??

-- Edited on 3/30/10 1:51 AM --

------
A.
Geelong, Australia

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to aWiSHa

Date: 3/30/10 10:38 AM

I thought Juki made the Mini-Locks...but my thoughts are often wrong, lol! The old Jukis look very similiar to the old Babylocks. I have a list of Babylock colours that were made, and there's no orange & cream listed, but that may not mean much, either.

Anyhoo, your Creamsicle is darn cute!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/30/10 12:56 PM

Whoever made it is to be congratulated -- how cute is that? Hope it sews as well as it 'looks.'

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 3/31/10 1:40 AM

I too thought these were older machines made by Juki..then Juki made the Babylock. Old Babylocks looked much the same.

I think when we first discussed this serger awhile back, I did a search on line and it and seems I remember that it stated somewhere that these minilocks were made by either Yamata or Feiyue.

aWiSHa

aWiSHa
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/5/10
Send Message

In reply to Patti B

Date: 3/31/10 2:54 AM

Quote: Patti B
Whoever made it is to be congratulated -- how cute is that? Hope it sews as well as it 'looks.'

Very cute. And it serges magnificently!!! It whips through the fabric like it was butter. And it actually isn't that noisy either (surprisenly).

------
A.
Geelong, Australia

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to aWiSHa

Date: 3/31/10 3:51 AM

I'm glad you like your little serger. May I ask what kind of needles it uses? Are they round shank?
-- Edited on 3/31/10 3:52 AM --

Dzynurbrian

Dzynurbrian
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

Date: 4/8/10 1:34 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a Babylock.

I Google searched the "ef" model number there and got some hits calling it a "trulock" or "babylock". Trulock may be an alternate model name or something but nothing came up referencing Juki.

Not only that, they look very similar to two babylock 3thread overlocks that my cousin had.

In the end, it becomes very questionable who REALLY makes machines because there are only so many manufacturing plants, and they often make the same machine and put different names on it. For example I have a machine that is a "Pfaff" but you can also find the same exact machine but it's a Singer, a Consew ect.

------
~Dzynurbrian~

http://web.me.com/dzynurbrian/Dzynurbrian/Welcome.html

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Dzynurbrian

Date: 4/8/10 10:04 AM

I'm pretty sure it isn't a Babylock, lol! From 1967, Babylock sergers had "baby lock" on their front plates.

The first home model, produced by babyLock in 1964, was the MS 1, followed in 1967 by the EF-205, with "baby lock" on the front piece. Next was the EF-305, EF-405 and EF605, none of which resemble the OP's Creamsicle and all of which displayed "baby lock" on the front piece. In the early 1970's the coding was changed to BL.

Interestingly, the model number "EF4" was used by Brother.

I have heard the MiniLock referred to as an "off-brand" model, so who knows! But it's fun to hunt for clues...and old machines!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Thera
Thera
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 8/2/07
Send Message

Date: 10/15/10 8:51 PM

Hi there
I have the exact same over locker (same colours) I have had it probably over 25 years. Yes it was very similar if not the same to the Baby-Locks of that period except mine was called a Tru-Lock. It has the same number as the Mini- Lock above: EF4-595-50, and she takes DB X 1 and BL X 1 round needles. There is no manufacturer on it or in the manual either. In the manual the models are: FR-750 (mine) FR-755 (4 thread) and FR-75 (2 thread). I have spent time wondering who manufactured it as I can't remember and it does not come up on the web. Mine was bought here in NZ.

------
Sew Sister

Maggiedoll
star
Maggiedoll
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 1/8/10
Send Message

In reply to aWiSHa

Date: 10/15/10 11:13 PM

Quote: aWiSHa
It whips through the fabric like it was butter.

Now THERE'S a mental image.. The result in my head is quite messy!

------
My (overly complicated) blog: http://maggiedoll.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> I think I may have solved my overlocker/serger mystery...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 2281

photo
by: sewtofit

Review
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now
Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Sew Chic Beatrice Pocket Dress Pattern (ln1310)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.