SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Deciding between Brother Innovis 900D or 1250D? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Deciding between Brother Innovis 900D or 1250D?
Beginner needs advice on investment
Ohana Mom
Ohana Mom
Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 3/21/10
Send Message

Date: 4/4/10 12:15 PM

Thank you all who posted recommendations on which machines to look at. I am a BEGINNER interested in a machine that sews, embroiders and potentially quilts. I currently own a Singer 6221 which is on it's last leg.
I attenedd the Cleveland Sew and Quilt Expo last weekend - it was WONDERFUL! I met with several dealers and now understand how important it is to find the right dealer. I went in thinking I wanted a Viking (as that's what my mother has) but was so put off by the dealer - not sure I would go that route.
The machine I liked the most was the Brother Innovis 1250D. As I am a beginner - I don't want to spend too much. They also had the 900D which seems adequate. The 1250 was about $1500 and the 900 was about $599.
Here's my question - I really like the larger hoop size of the 1250. But it's hard to justify $1,000 more just for a hoop size. Are there other significant features that are driving this price jump? I have checked the reviews here and both models seems to get high reviews. I was hoping to stay under $1,000 if possible - but also don't want to be sorry that I didn't purchase enough machine. At the same time - I'm still a beginner. I work full time so this will definately be hobby-related and don't want to buy more than I need.
Appreciate any advice.... (p.s. if there are other machines you think are a better fit - I am open to that too. I definately want a USB drive option)

dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Nebraska USA
Member since 4/17/06
Send Message

Date: 4/4/10 6:07 PM

I agree with the USB drive. It's a good idea to get the largest hoop size you can afford, because if you don't, you'll get hoop envy for a larger one. I wouldn't go under a 5 x 7 as a minimum. A 6 x 10 is great, but harder to get for less $.
The Brother machines are great for embroidery.

sew cool sew creative

sew cool sew creative
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/1/07
Send Message

Date: 4/4/10 7:23 PM

by the best you can afford is the best advice and the brother sewing machines are so easy to learn use and understand.

fwbean472
fwbean472
Advanced Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 8/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/4/10 7:35 PM

From the photos of the machines it appears the 1250D will take a memory stick via USB. The 950D appears to have to be connected to the computer. Some people are okay having to connect the computer to the sewing machine. For me, it drove me absolutely batty!

Get the best you can comfortably afford.

Alathia

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

Date: 4/4/10 9:32 PM

The 900D is a smaller sewing machine (3/4 size), not just a smaller embroidery area. If you sew heavy bulky jackets, drapes or jeans you will find that the space is lacking. It also hooks up to the computer with a USB cable to transfer designs to the machine. The process is simple, but not everyone has desk space on their computer desk or a portable computer for their sewing room. In the long run I think you will stay happier longer with the 1250D as it's a full size machine. Best way, try them both at a dealer and see what feels right for you.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

pittysmom101

pittysmom101
Advanced Beginner
Tennessee USA
Member since 4/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/4/10 10:50 PM

I agree with previous posters. The 900D is a great starter or backup machine, or if you don't plan to do alot of sewing with it on a daily basis.
It is a smaller 3/4 size machine, great for smaller to medium projects, and travel and taking to classes. It does beautiful embroidery, Disney built-ins are included, allows use of all other Disney cards.
It has nice automatic features of bigger machines, such as threader, cutters, drop in bobbin, decorative sewing stitches, etc. A very nice assortment of features packed into a smaller machine. That's how they kept the price down.

Having said all of that... If you want this to be your main machine, or your last machine purchase for awhile, the larger 1250D is going to be your best bet. 4x4 hoop size is just too small if you really find you like embroidery. 3/4 machine size is going to limit what sort of projects you can do with it.

If you really have to keep the budget under $1000, you could probably swing it with 2 separate machines instead of a combo. There are lots of posts on that subject you can check out. :winkgrin:

Also of note: If you are buying new from a Brother dealer, you can check out their trade in policy. Some dealers offer full retail if you trade upwards in the first year. Not all, but you can still ask around. That way, if you buy the 900D and outgrow it quickly, you aren't out any extra money trying to resell the smaller machine.

HTH,
cheri
-- Edited on 4/4/10 10:54 PM --

------
I sew stuff, grow stuff, make stuff and bake stuff.....
Brother PC8200, Kenmore 18221, Kenmore 385.12614490, Kenmore 148.13023 and Kenmore Serger 16655

"If you can follow directions, you can sew!"

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

Date: 5/13/12 7:12 PM

Go with the 1250D. I had the 950 (for a couple of days), and then won a 1250D! I was happy to have a machine with a bigger sewing bed area.

Also, love that it has USB hook up. I don't have a lap top, so being able to transfer images via USB is wonderful.

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

kerri Y
kerri Y
Intermediate
Member since 5/6/04
Send Message

Date: 5/13/12 8:53 PM

950D takes the USB stick drive
900D takes USB cable - maybe that's why it was so much less than the 1250d

Only one machine I might splurge on 1250d, its awesome.

weaver60
weaver60
Member since 9/12/08
Send Message

Date: 5/13/12 10:21 PM

Owned both...I love the 1250.... I wanted a bigger hoop and like the size of the 1250 better. Deb

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 5/13/12 10:56 PM

I have the 1250D and was originally looking at possibly the 950... ended up with the 1250 because once I saw the 950 in person and realized how small it is, I knew it would be enough machine for me.

If you can afford it, I would go with the 1250. Doesn't matter if you're a beginner (I only started sewing about 10 mos or so ago) and this was my first upgrade from my Singer Curvy and I LOVE IT! I still haven't gotten into the embroidery much (yet), but just having a nice, sturdy, full size machine for regular everyday sewing was important to me! Good luck!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Deciding between Brother Innovis 900D or 1250D?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Petite Plus Patterns Swing Coat

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.