SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > White Superlock 534 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
White Superlock 534
serger
joyrainbow
joyrainbow
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 4/11/10 11:19 PM

I really did not mean to buy two machines in one week, but I did. I had been looking at sergers for a while, but while I could see the entry level ones left much to be desired, I did not want to invest in buying an expensive one if I did not like it.

So I was at a thrift shop this week, and I found in very good shape a White Superlock 534. It was 30 dollars so I bought it. It is in very good shape and looks mint. It runs well as far as I can see.

I can imagine it will need a good cleaning.

Question, is this machine worth the cost of cleaning ect....is it a good entry level machine?

I took the gamble on the thirty dollars, but if it is not worth it I won't put any more in. It does look much nicer made than any of the entry level machines I have seen.

It seems to be very well made, all metal body, heavy in a good way.

Thanks.
-- Edited on 4/11/10 11:20 PM --

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/10 11:30 PM

Take it in and let them look at it. Sometimes the sewing machine dealer will look at it and tell you if it is worth it. that serger is very much sought after. I had one and it is a good machine. I sold mine here in the classifieds last year. some people like them for quilting.

------
Galatians 5:22-23 The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to joyrainbow

Date: 4/12/10 0:25 AM

There is a review that looks favorable. And Mrs Moos was unhappy about having to replace hers in this thread. It seems like it had been a real workhorse.

You could clean and oil it yourself. Open it up and clean out any fluff and oil it with sewing machine oil (not WD40 or 3 in 1). You should be able to buy replacement blades if you need them, although they should be ok if the machine hasn't had much use. There really isn't anything that goes wrong with these basic mechanical machines if they haven't been abused.

------
chris

Melbourne

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/12/10 7:11 AM

I bought my 534 in 1985 and used it for 20 years. It never saw the inside of a repair shop and just chugged long, taking all kinds of abuse without complaint. I'm going to make the DD some drapes, so I might get it out and see if it still works, since drapes won't require differential feed.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

joyrainbow
joyrainbow
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

Date: 4/12/10 2:33 PM

Thanks, I'm going to order a manual so I know how to thread ect, and give it a good cleaning and oiling.

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

In reply to joyrainbow

Date: 4/13/10 1:57 AM

Congrats on your "score"! LUUUUCKY!

------
Babylock Spirit, Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Janome 1600P-DB, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

cedaracres
cedaracres
Beginner
MB
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

Date: 1/12/13 3:17 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to sewing and am just learning but my Mom gave me her white 534...I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a manual for it?

------
Susan

Auntie Susan
star
Auntie Susan
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 12/8/09
Send Message

In reply to cedaracres <<

Date: 1/12/13 3:40 PM

I only happen to know the answer to this as I was just searching for info on-line on my old White 534 and saw a manual available at sewusa.com. I inherited mine from my mother about 5 years ago, she had it for many years before that, and it just now has stopped working. They also have a free threading diagram on their site - here is the link http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/White_Sewing_Machine_Threading/White_534_Superlock_Threading_Diagram.htm
(cut and paste link in your browser)

------
Auntie Susan

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
FL USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

Date: 1/12/13 3:49 PM

The White 534 is an excellent serger! I have an original one from 1987. Easy to thread and reliable. I had to have the nylon gear replaced a little while back because they tend to break down over time. It's still my favorite serger.
-- Edited on 1/12/13 3:49 PM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

cedaracres
cedaracres
Beginner
MB
Member since 1/11/13
Send Message

Date: 1/13/13 10:28 AM

Thanks so much for your speedy replies. I will definitely check out the threading site....I did find a manual for 10.00 and downloaded it. I got it at sewingpartsonline.com They have all kinds of parts as well.

------
Susan

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> White Superlock 534

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Silhouette Patterns 312

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
Simplicity 3532

photo
by: lovenicky

Review
Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Upline Jacket Pattern

Sewn Square One Upline Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.