SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > FabricMart mystery bundle ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
FabricMart mystery bundle
JudyP
starstar
JudyP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NY USA
Member since 7/15/05
Send Message

Date: 4/24/10 10:38 AM

I received a $15 mystery bundle fron FabricMart yesterday and I thought you'd like to see what I got:

1.5 yds
1.75 yds
1.75 yds.
2 yds
3.25 ydsMine is a greenish/teal color.

I added up the cost of these fabrics as if I had ordered them and the total was $100.00!

I'd say that's a bargain! Now, I'm not sure I'd use the black-red silk chiffon, but I like all the other fabrics. I love FM mystery bundles!

Judy

------
judyp

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 4/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to JudyP

Date: 4/24/10 10:42 AM

nice fabric. So what are you going to sew with it. can't wait to see.

------
Galatians 5:22-23 The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to JudyP

Date: 4/24/10 12:29 PM

Your fabrics are beautiful! Great selection and what a bargain!

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Ach

Ach  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CANADA
Member since 12/4/05
Send Message

In reply to JudyP

Date: 4/25/10 9:59 AM

Nice haul!! I've been afraid to add the mystery bundle to my cart because I'd be MAD to pay for international shipping and receive something iffy. You've made me reconsider....

------
Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing. Harriet Braiker

OP Gal
starstarstar
OP Gal  Friend of PR
Intermediate
KS
Member since 10/14/03
Send Message

Date: 4/25/10 10:15 AM

I'm anxious to see what you do with the fabric, too. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't be able to get much use from the chiffon. I live such a casual lifestyle, I'd never wear a chiffon garment. Most fabric sites have the most beautiful chiffon, and plenty of it, but I just have to drool and move on. Well, that isn't completely true, I'm currently cutting out a chiffon over blouse thingy to wear over a dress for a second "look" to wear for formal nights on a cruise, but this is kind of a one time thing.

------
a/k/a Sondra

If I sewed any slower, I wouldn't be sewing at all. -- Kellie R.

patternr

patternr
Member since 7/14/08
Send Message

Date: 4/25/10 10:20 AM

To really get the best out of the Fabric Mart bundles, you need to be very flexible about what material you sew. Not only have I received an interesting assortment of apparel and quilting fabrics, I have received bundles which were mostly decorator fabrics and decorator linings. Since I don't sew home deco (or quilt, but quilting material can sometimes be used for something else), this material is useless to me. Some of the other materials were often quite nice, but for me, these are bundles which were good for the surprise and fun (and I don't pay international shipping) since the weight of the material makes them useless as muslins. (There are things which can be sewn with home deco fabric, they are just not on my wish or need list for the foreseeable future. Even some of the apparel fabric falls into this category.)

I enjoy the bundles (I just wish I could figure out what some of the materials are), but would hesitate to order them if I needed them to be material I can actually use.

WildWyoming
WildWyoming
Member since 4/25/10
Send Message

Date: 4/25/10 10:22 AM

I like ordering bundles. The key to satisfaction for me is to take what I don't like and put it in one pile and what I do like in another. I then look at the fabrics I do like and consider the value, which is always many times more than what I paid for the bundle. The fabrics that I don't initially like are "calls to creativity" and have helped get me out of a rut at times. They can yield some of the nicest garments because they are usually good quality and are psychologically easy for me to take risks with since I look at them as "freebies" and no big deal if I screw up.

WildWyoming
WildWyoming
Member since 4/25/10
Send Message

In reply to patternr

Date: 4/25/10 10:29 AM

Quote: patternr
To really get the best out of the Fabric Mart bundles, you need to be very flexible about what material you sew. Not only have I received an interesting assortment of apparel and quilting fabrics, I have received bundles which were mostly decorator fabrics and decorator linings. Since I don't sew home deco (or quilt, but quilting material can sometimes be used for something else), this material is useless to me. Some of the other materials were often quite nice, but for me, these are bundles which were good for the surprise and fun (and I don't pay international shipping) since the weight of the material makes them useless as muslins. (There are things which can be sewn with home deco fabric, they are just not on my wish or need list for the foreseeable future. Even some of the apparel fabric falls into this category.)

I enjoy the bundles (I just wish I could figure out what some of the materials are), but would hesitate to order them if I needed them to be material I can actually use.

Here are some ideas for home dec fabrics, depending on the actual fabric's qualities:

1) Totes for the car to keep things organized
2) Lumbar cushions for work chairs (for you or coworkers)
3) Valances and seat covers for windows and chairs at work
3) Neck pillow for airplane
4) Travel cases (for shoes, jewelry, etc.)
5) Backpack or messenger bag
6) Lamp cover for home or work
7) Sewing machine and serger covers
8) Christmas stockings, especially for gifts
9) Duffle bags for foster kids, kids and adults in homeless shelters or safe houses
10) Stuffed animals for kids in hospital, gifts or decoration

Lots more could be done, but just wanted to throw that out there.
WildWyoming
WildWyoming
Member since 4/25/10
Send Message

In reply to OP Gal

Date: 4/25/10 10:35 AM

Quote: OP Gal
I'm anxious to see what you do with the fabric, too. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't be able to get much use from the chiffon. I live such a casual lifestyle, I'd never wear a chiffon garment. Most fabric sites have the most beautiful chiffon, and plenty of it, but I just have to drool and move on. Well, that isn't completely true, I'm currently cutting out a chiffon over blouse thingy to wear over a dress for a second "look" to wear for formal nights on a cruise, but this is kind of a one time thing.

I know what you mean. I love chiffon, but I have no use for it really unless I want to wear it as an overblouse on a casual work day.

Still, here are some uses:

1) Sheer curtains
2) Gathered "skirt" to put over a lampshade
3) Little girl "fairy dress" or "ballerina skirt" with lots of gathers
4) Fancy little girl jammies (top layer)--not practical but fun
5) Scarves for gifts
6) Partial room divider to create a semi-private nook or shield a view.
7) Puffy balls of gathered fabric to hang in window at various heights for decoration.
8) Girl dress up clothes (wraps, see above, that fabric that comes out of the cone hats that Cinderalla's sisters wore in the cartoon, etc.)
9) Hair ornaments for little girls
10) Ruffled, gathered edging for a casual garment to add a little pizzazz to T-shirt and jeans or a plain skirt or shirt.
patternr

patternr
Member since 7/14/08
Send Message

In reply to WildWyoming

Date: 4/25/10 11:20 AM

WildWyoming:
There is one item I have made with the decorator fabric

an apron (and I love it)

However, the decorator lining (stiffening material, heavy canvas) still has me stumped.

I didn't want to seem to be complaining,the previous poster mentioned having to pay international shipping and potentially customs, and here, I would reconsider ordering the bundles, the that is just MHO.

Like others on this forum, I see the bundle materials as a challenge. I am lucky enough to have two very nicely staffed fabric stores here, but the stock is somewhat uninspiring, so the mystery bundles are kind of like a trip to a better stocked fabric store for me. And I have gotten some very nice fabric which just happened to fit well into what I was sewing, but I view this as a lucky break. And plenty which was good for muslins. I have even bought a true mystery bag (not fabric) where I have found use for at least $8 worth of the stuff.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> FabricMart mystery bundle

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

McCall's 7321

photo
by: sewnaomi

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2011-105

photo
by: Dilliander

Review
Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.