SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Men Who Sew > Favorite sewing patterns for men ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Favorite sewing patterns for men
minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/28/10 5:01 PM

The "Sewing for Men" contest is starting again in May, and I'm planning to make some garments for my husband.

What do the men who sew on this board like to make for themselves?

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

SG1

SG1
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/1/09
Send Message

Date: 4/28/10 9:41 PM

I'm not a man, but I sew for my DH. His favorites are Jalie 2107 (pants/shorts) and Kwik-sew 2777 (dress shirt). He loves the Jalie pants so much, he lives in them on the weekends. I'm currently cutting out 2 more pairs of pants and a pair of shorts for him. The great thing about the Kwik-sew patten is it fits DH right out of the envelope! DH is built like a linebacker with monkey arms, and finding RTW shirts to fit is a serious pain. We usually get "close enough" so they don't look bad. Now, he gets shirts that fit him perfectly (just finished shirt #4 last week).

voet
star
voet
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/1/06
Send Message

Date: 5/5/10 7:55 PM

I sew many shirts and really like the Islander patterns. They are like a pattern library. Each pattern has different elements and if you want to create your own designs, it is a great resource. They use industrial techniques that produce excellent results. I highly recommend them.

------
Voet

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to voet

Date: 5/5/10 8:08 PM

Voet,

Have you made either the Islander Classic dress shirt or the Designer dress shirt? I've made my husband the Islander pattern (he loves it) but I'd like to branch out to a more classic shirt.
JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 5/5/10 10:22 PM

I just ordered some of the Islander system patterns as well as two of her DVDs, I am hoping it is as useful to me as it has been to others who rave about it!

Kwik Sew has also been great, a couple new patterns are also on their way to me to try out for my husband. I expect his summer wardrobe to expand quite a bit in the next few months.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

voet
star
voet
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/1/06
Send Message

In reply to JEF

Date: 5/7/10 9:06 AM

I have sewn the Islander Classic Men's Shirt, Classic Sport Shirt, City Western Shirt, and Islander Shirt Pattern.

They are filled with nice touches. For example the Islander Shirt is a classic design, sometimes called a camp shirt or what most people call a Hawaiian shirt. It is intended to be worn untucked, so it has a straight hem with slits at the side seams. Most patterns make the hem straight across so the hem hangs lower at the sides than at the center. On the Islander pattern they curve the sides up gently at the sides so that when it is worn, it appears to be straight across.

JEF, I have not made the Designer Dress Shirt. It has a hidden button placket which is a nice feature if you don't want the buttons to show. If you really want a traditional man's shirt, I would make the Classic pattern.

On another note, custom made men's shirts usually feature authentic mother of pearl buttons. If you are going to go to the trouble of making a man's shirt, I would recommend that you use them. M&J Trim in New York offers mother of pearl buttons in 16 colors.

Be sure to post a review when your shirt is made!

Hope this is helpful.

------
Voet

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to voet

Date: 5/8/10 10:16 PM

Thank you so much. I'm ordering the Classic!
JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

Date: 5/12/10 6:10 PM

I am looking for a pattern for men's sport/golf/polo shirt. The kind with the ribbed collar. We golf a lot and I would love to make him some. That said, I have no idea where to get the ribbing for the collars. I have tons of ribbing but it is not suitable for this application.

Do any of you make this type of shirt. Would love some suggestions for patterns, fabric and ribbing.

Thanks

------
Karen

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to KarenTeel

Date: 5/12/10 6:27 PM

I purchased this pattern for future sewing of golf shirts.KS 2763 I think I know what your refering to in sport shirt ribbing and would also like to find some. I'm glad you are asking about it!

WildWyoming
WildWyoming
Member since 4/25/10
Send Message

Date: 5/12/10 8:12 PM

A recent Burda World of Fashion had polo shirts for women, men and children. I think it was a couple of months ago. I haven't sewn them, but maybe someone else has and can review if they have not already been reviewed.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Men Who Sew >> Favorite sewing patterns for men

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Wiksten Tova

photo
by: wenznz

Review
8 inch Dressmaking Shears

8 inch Dressmaking Shears

More Info
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

More Info
Simplicity 2181

photo
by: cleverkitt...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.