SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Jeans Inner Thigh Blowout ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Jeans Inner Thigh Blowout
What's the best way to repair it?
chicaem29
star
chicaem29  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 3/4/09
Send Message

Date: 5/7/10 10:42 PM

I know this happens to plenty of women... over time, the fabric along the seamline wears out on the inner thighs of your jeans from your legs rubbing together. This happens eventually to all my favorite jeans that I wear most often. It's always hard to repair because the problem isn't that the seam comes apart, but that the fabric weakens and tears along the seam line. I've tried various methods but they're never very successful. (Usually it involves some kind of fusible patch or interfacing ironed on and reinforced with stitching.) Does anyone have a good way to fix this?

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to chicaem29

Date: 5/8/10 0:01 AM

Not an answer to your question, but usually by the time my seams start pulling apart, the jeans are a couple of years old, so I don't repair them. As I said, not an answer to your question! Although I confess I am now wondering if you need to find a new brand of jeans.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: me, about four decades ago

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to chicaem29

Date: 5/8/10 2:02 AM

I agree with Joan, not worth repairing. But if they fit really well, take them apart and make a pattern to make your own.

If you make your own, you can reinforce the inner thigh to avoid them wearing out so fast.

You can also reinforce new jeans with knee patches on the inside of the leg. My mum used to do this with my brother's pants a s a kid. She put knee patches on the inside of the knees and he no longer wore them out.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Karin Mantefors
starstar
Karin Mantefors
Advanced
SWEDEN
Member since 7/29/02
Send Message

Date: 5/8/10 2:52 AM

This happens to me too and I usually iron woven interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric and then I sew with different colors of blue over the weakened area. Cut of the extra interfacing on the back.

------
www.karinskammare.blogspot.com

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/8/10 8:05 AM

Back in the 70's, we used to stitch cotton calico fabric (printed fabric--not the muslin type) in this area and move it back around to the back. We did it on Levi's because they were really expensive back then (as I know jeans still are). I'd seen some really creative work---scallops, hearts, etc. Really cute!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

chicaem29
star
chicaem29  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 3/4/09
Send Message

Date: 5/8/10 10:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I just want to get some more life out of these until I make my own jeans, which is the next project on my list. Plus, the rest of the jeans are in perfectly good condition, and it bothers me to ditch them just for that one problem!

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

In reply to chicaem29

Date: 5/8/10 11:38 AM

I can so relate to the "wear out the inner thighs when the rest of the pants is perfectly fine" thing. I've been dealing with this issue since I was a teenager.

I've done a couple of different things over the years -- back in the late 60's and early 70's I sewed funky cotton patches over the holes and then in strategic places on other parts of the pants thinking it wouldn't be noticed so much as a repair and more as a statement.

For many years I just patched them and kept them for yardwork/painting pants although I always had way more "working pants" than ones I could wear in public.

A couple of years ago I had this really great pair of black jeans that I loved and wore the inner thighs out on fairly quickly -- I opened up the inseam; cut out a strip that included the worn area from one leg hem all the way to the other and added another strip of fabric (I used a black denim that was a slightly different colour) making it a design feature. You would not believe the number of people that asked me where I got my pants and actually had some ask me to alter their perfectly fine jeans to add the design feature -- go figure.

Recently, for the first time in my life, I actually had to dispose of a pair of jeans that had perfectly fine inner thighs -- I lost enough weight fast enough that they didn't have time to wear out before they got too big. I'm hoping to continue that trend.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
106.625 yards sewn (as of 12/19/14)
145.125 yards purchased (as of 12/19/14)

Kathi R
star
Kathi R
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

Date: 5/8/10 2:34 PM

I use a piece of flannel cut on the bias, on the inside of the seam - the patch is longer than the worn area and goes up to the crotch seam and back down to other leg in one continuous piece. I use a serpentine stitch on my sewing machine with C&C chambray color thread, it blends really nicely with faded, worn out denim.

I attach the patch around the perimeter of the worn area and then working from the right side, stitch in multiple directions to support the worn area and get it attached to the patch. When I'm finished I just trim the excess patch from the back ... don't worry about the edges, with all the thread used to reinforce the worn area, the patch won't ravel.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

whirrclunk
star
whirrclunk
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 8/24/08
Send Message

In reply to chicaem29

Date: 5/9/10 5:23 PM

I've done this once, using black tape on faded black jean shorts. The tape was the width of the overlapped seam (about 1/2"?). It was a while ago, but I think that it was probably plain cotton tape. I sewed the tape all the way up the inside seam on both legs, on the outside of the jeans. I didn't have a sewing machine at the time so did this by hand (I really wanted to save the shorts!). This worked surprisingly well; I was expecting the tape to wear out quickly but it lasted longer than the rest of the shorts.

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

In reply to Kathi R

Date: 5/9/10 7:37 PM

This is exactly how I do it as well, except I use a different fabric for the patch. I use a one sided fleece, the kind that's soft on one side and knit on the other because mostly these days I'm repairing jeans that are stretch denim and the patch has to stretch a little bit too. The soft side goes against the skin.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Jeans Inner Thigh Blowout

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Other Gertie\'s Book:

photo
by: KAHooke

Review
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.