SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > KENMORE 158.1914 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
KENMORE 158.1914
Need help using the monogrammer attachment
sport
sport
Member since 8/29/05
Send Message

Date: 5/14/10 11:04 AM

Does anyone out there have experience using the monogrammer attachment on this vintage machine?

I'm the proud new owner of the 1914, love it, but am having difficulty getting the monogrammer to work. I'm sure the previous owner never even used the monogrammer because it looks brand new in the package.

I suspect I don't have it set up correctly, even though I have the instructions and am trying to follow them exactly. I have the settings on what they recommend - feed dogs up, stitch length 0, stitch width 1-2.

I'm trying to monogram lycra, but the needle just stays in the same spot, piling the threads until the needle thread comes out of the needle and I have to rethread and start over. I didn't bother backing the lycra with stabilizer because I'm just trying to get the hang of things at this point, and I didn't think that would prevent the machine from monogramming.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
-- Edited on 5/14/10 11:06 AM --

ukdame
star
ukdame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to sport

Date: 5/14/10 11:14 AM

Lycra may be another whole deal with mongramming on these old relics. Knits are notorious for slipping and sliding out of place. I think you would need some type of stabilizer underneath it.. You may think about joining the KenmoreVintage Group on Yahoo as I have done to get tips form them too.

------
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt 1843
Janome 19606 ,Janome My Excel 4023, Brother 1034D, White 1750C, Kenmore 158.1803, White 764, Brother 780D.

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 5/14/10 11:28 AM

Embroidery + lycra = crappy embroidery.

It's not the attachment, it's what you're trying to do with it. Towels, table napkins, handkerchiefs, bed linens is what these things were made for. Not swimwear.

sport
sport
Member since 8/29/05
Send Message

In reply to Soolip

Date: 5/16/10 4:05 PM

Phooey. The main reason I bought this machine was so that I could make a monogrammed logo on the dancewear I make.

The manual has a whole section on sewing stretch fabrics and even comes with a special foot and needle for that purpose, but it doesn't say anything about monogramming them.

Oh well. I love this machine anyway and only paid $80 for it. It has all the attachments, cams, buttonholer attachment and monogrammer. It makes beautiful stitches, even on my lycra, so even if I can't get the monogrammer to work on stretchy fabric I'll be okay.

Thanks for your feedback.

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 5/16/10 8:32 PM

You can always do monograms on a different fabric & sew it on the dancewear.

sport
sport
Member since 8/29/05
Send Message

In reply to NM gal

Date: 5/17/10 9:49 AM

That's an idea, too. I'm leaning towards just using rhinestones to create my logo (which is just a simple letter). I'll try different things to see what looks best. Thanks for your suggestion.

sport
sport
Member since 8/29/05
Send Message

Date: 5/21/10 6:28 AM

I did it! The 1914 monogrammer works beautifully on lycra!! I just didn't have the monogrammer attachment snapped in properly. I am so happy!!

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to sport

Date: 5/21/10 7:27 AM

Oh great, I have been following your posts! How do you think it would do on denim purses monograming & handerchiefs? You said the sm is a great worker...not that I NEED another sm of course,....but .....

>^^<

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh goody, DH has now getting a nice part time job starts Dec 1st. ~smile~
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +

ukdame
star
ukdame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/1/08
Send Message

In reply to sport

Date: 5/21/10 8:48 PM

Quote: sport
I did it! The 1914 monogrammer works beautifully on lycra!! I just didn't have the monogrammer attachment snapped in properly. I am so happy!!

Great, I would not have thought it would work but these old machines I swear can do anything.

------
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt 1843
Janome 19606 ,Janome My Excel 4023, Brother 1034D, White 1750C, Kenmore 158.1803, White 764, Brother 780D.

sport
sport
Member since 8/29/05
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys

Date: 5/25/10 8:13 AM

Hi, TGM. If it works on lycra, I'm sure it would work beautifully on cotton and denim. The finished monogrammed letter is a good size, 3/4 inch, and very attractive.

I am so in love with this machine. I can't believe I paid only $80, and it came with the works - machine cams, buttonholer, monogrammer. It will even do twin needle stitching and a twin needle zigzag stitch (which I really like the look of). I believe I read somewhere that the maximum width of the zigzag stitch is wider than a lot of sewing machines.

I originally purchased the Kenmore 19233 sewing/embroidery machine for $500 and returned it. The monogrammed letters were tiny, the machine ran slowly, and it struggled when going over moderately thick seams (the thread would pile up).

The vintage 1914 feels like I'm riding a cadillac. It's everything I wanted and more. I haven't yet tried out the cams but it looks like I can make lots of pretty stitches - birds, trees, flowers, ducks. Oh what fun!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> KENMORE 158.1914

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Butterick 5726

photo
by: morzel

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Ava Jacket Paper Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop San Francisco Coat Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.