SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Peggy Sagers SPIFFY Training

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Peggy Sagers SPIFFY Training
Anyone take this course?
MarlaE
MarlaE
Intermediate
Member since 1/1/09
Send Message

Date: 5/28/10 11:03 AM

I've been sewing since Junior High but like so many sewers, fit continues to elude me!

I found Peggy Sagers class on her web site:
http://www.silhouettepatterns.com

I bought her vidoes and really like them, but am wanting to take it further.

I saw her SPIFFY training and she says in that course she teachs fit, where in the other 4-day workshop she just give the attendees fitted garmets when they leave. I want to be able to sew for myself and the grandkids, etc. Don't really care if it turns into a business. Just want to be able to make my own FITTED clothes.

So has anyone taken this class? It's SO expensive! Wanted some feedback from others on the content before spending that much money.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/29/10 9:52 AM

I haven't taken it but just got a couple of her DVDs. I'd also be very interested in hearing from anyone who's taken the class.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

KimG
star
KimG  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/3/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to MarlaE

Date: 5/30/10 1:22 PM

I took that class in 2008 and ended up concluding that it was a waste of time and money, at least for me. I had hoped for some well-fitting garments and training on how to fit others (I was just starting a business), and ended up with no well-fitting garments (a start on a pair of Burda pants) and some fitting training, but no where near as much as I had hoped.

I will say that Peggy treated us well, and she is a lot of fun, even though she is very firm in her opinion she does things the right way (and if you've read/heard anything to the contrary, it's wrong) and that there can be nothing wrong with her patterns, which not correct. She ''treated'' us to lunches at a nearby restaurant, Neiman Marcus, her country club and at the hotel where we stayed, plus she took us fabric shopping at Kay's Fabrics (I think) which was located nearby. She also brought in a lot of her garments for a trunk show, which was great.

There is a lot of prep required for this class. She encouraged at least 10 muslins, primarily from her patterns. Since it was implied that more was better, I did 12-14 maybe, and didn't have time to get fitted in 10. The idea behind the class was that we would pair up and fit each other under her direction, while learning from the other pairs at the same time. That concept does not work--it's very hard to focus on what you're doing and pay attention to what she's saying and what others are doing. Her fitting method is to make the muslin and then use A LOT of pins (if you do decide to take the class, bring at least 500 pins . . . ) to address all fitting isses at once. Then you should be all set to make the garment--right. There is no real time in the class to make the adjustments to the pattern and try a second muslin, unless you want to try and do it at night. This approach may work if your fitting problems are minimal, but not for me (forward shoulders, rounded back, tummy, big biceps, etc.).

The class really wasn't four full days. The morning of the first day was speny discussing her fitting philosophy and how to sell her patterns. That afternoon and the next two days were spent fitting. The final day is really only a half day of some fitting and some sewing techniques, as a lot of the students were flying out that afternoon. You have to buy her patterns for the class (at wholesale) and when I took it, all of her DVDs were included in the price. The hotel we stayed at was very nice (the Marriott Quorum, or something like that), but the room we had for the class was way too small and did not have any floor length mirrors. Someone commented on that at the end of the class, so I would hope that wasn't a problem at subsequent classes.

I will say that about half of the students in the class were repeat attendees, so obviously not everyone shares my opinion. I think if you have time, patience and can take/post pictures, you'll get a better fitting bodice and sleeve taking Sarah Veblen's Sleeve class here on PR once or twice, for a lot less money. I should add that Sarah has become a good friend in the past couple of years, so I may be a little biased, but most of the tops I make are based on the bodice/sleeve I developed in her class.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Kim

sewrose
star
sewrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/22/06
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

Date: 5/30/10 1:35 PM

Kim, your perspective is very interesting and helpful. I've never taken the SPIFFY training. But I've seen Peggy speak several times and I own many of her DVDs. I think she's very sincere about what she does and wants women to feel successful in their sewing.

With that all said, however, I've found the process of learning to fit to be lifelong! You can't learn it in a weekend. I'm also the type that goes to many teachers and sources. I've found Peggy's perspective helpful at times and I appreciate the fact that her patterns are quick to make. Sarah Veblen takes you very deep into the process and is generous with her knowledge, something I also appreciate.

------
Roseana, Austin, TX

Elizabeth made this
starstar
Elizabeth made this  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 8/8/07
Send Message

Date: 5/30/10 1:40 PM

Thanks for the thoughts Kim! I saw Peggy when she came to Denver in February and I've been wondering about her longer workshops. I got a lot out of the two little hour sessions I saw her in, but I can see how it would be difficult to really get fitted in a weekend especially with 10 different muslins! That's a TON of work!

------
emadethis.wordpress.com

The best project you could be working on is the one that's on the table right now.

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 5/30/10 7:26 PM

I have attended the Dallas ETA several times & went to Kansas City where Peggy spoke and attended several of her classes. I also attended some of Cynthia Guffey. For the money, go to one of Cynthia's classes or find about 5-6 people and have her come to you. A group of us have done this for several years, and wow what help is she, and she fits the patterns to you with your problems. Check here on PR for reviews of her classes. She also has DVDs on fitting which I think are the best. In fact I sold Peggy's DVDs here on PR so I could purchase more of Cynthia's. Peggy knows alot, and she is for the more commercial shortcuts, while Cynthia is custom fitting & sewing for your body type, and I mean fit. Peggy does have some great resources available on her website to purchase.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Restart06
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/30/10 11:46 PM

How much would it cost to get a group together and bring her to us? Thanks for this - this is great information!

------
Mary

MarlaE
MarlaE
Intermediate
Member since 1/1/09
Send Message

Date: 5/31/10 8:20 AM

Kim, thanks for the review! I rather expected the very problems you mentioned. Just seems like too much to cover in such a short period of time. And it's SO expensive!

And to the other posts re Cynthia Guffey. I'll look into her stuff.

Thanks!

KimG
star
KimG  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/3/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to MarlaE

Date: 5/31/10 8:58 AM

You're welcome. I think Sewrose is correct in her assessment that learning to fit is a lifelong process, but you do have to start somewhere! Good luck in your quest

Kim

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to marymary86

Date: 5/31/10 9:36 AM

PM me....

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Peggy Sagers SPIFFY Training

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 229046-1000

photo
by: vchan38

Review
McCall's 6608

photo
by: DorothyK

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's City Western Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Katy Bags

Katy Bags

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.