SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > What did u name your dressform(s) or DTD? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What did u name your dressform(s) or DTD?
Just for fun, I wanna hear names
Dzynurbrian

Dzynurbrian
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/3/10 5:54 PM

I'll go first.

I have a collapsible shoulder size 8 dress form I named "Norma" since it's the "Normal" industry sample size. I heard somewhere that the sample room sewers sometimes name their "girls" Norma.

For my larger size adjustable dress form, I named her "Gorda" which means "fat" in Spanish. I know it's incredibly not PC but I think it's quite entertaining that their names go together. My brother's GF is the only person who has felt insulted by Gorda's name. Kinda ironic since almost ALL of my clients are in that size range anyways.

Norma and Gorda.

On a side note, kids from the next street over mentioned they see me "upstairs playing with my dolls all the time." That was an awkward "welcome to the neighborhood" and I quickly got blinds.

------
~Dzynurbrian~

http://web.me.com/dzynurbrian/Dzynurbrian/Welcome.html

chicaem29
star
chicaem29  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 3/4/09
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 6:31 PM

Omg that is hilarious - both the name Gorda and the "dolls" comment. I would describe myself as gorda but I don't find it offensive, just funny.

My dress form remains nameless. I haven't had it very long and she's kind of cheap and not shaped like me below the waist. I guess I don't love her very much and haven't given much thought to her name, though I have considered naming her. I guess I'm hoping the right name will come to me one day... if it doesn't, nameless she shall remain.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 6:47 PM

I have two duct tape doubles. Mine is Miss Mitzie, after our late, great little dog and Miss Mitzie from Shall We Dance (American version). My DD's is Zena, Princess Warrior because that is how she felt when we were doing the criss cross portions on her chest. They are very cute together as I am 5'2" and DD is about 5' 11".

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 6/3/10 7:05 PM

I didn't name mine, but my family did. They call her "Other Mom." :)

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 8:41 PM

My then 6 yr old DGD named mine "Dolly" since she's like a big doll.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
Oregon USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 8:46 PM

I bought my first dressform (a Uniquely You) in college when I started doing historical costuming. Gone With the Wind was the reason I began costuming, so I named the form Scarlett. Unfortunately, Scarlett was disposed of last year (after a good 15 year run). Fortunately, she was quickly replaced with a new semi-professional full body form. This new one is now named Scarlett II. I'm not very creative with names.

Erin

------
My sewing blog - www.gravamenofthestitch.com

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 8:52 PM

Here is an older thread with lots of dress form identities. Dressform names.

I have two, my vintage Matilda and a bustier one that I simply call Busty.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

ryansmumAria
starstarstar
ryansmumAria
Advanced
California USA
Member since 7/29/05
Send Message

In reply to Dzynurbrian

Date: 6/3/10 8:57 PM

great question~

I have several dress forms throughout the house. One is a greeter in the living room, the kitchen one has my favorite apron displayed on it.
The one in my bedroom is used for my coat and the one that I use in my design room is called Matilda (actually waltzing matilda)

I like the "playing with your dolls" comment - too funny

------
"I am still learning" ~ Michelangelo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finally have a blog!
You can visit it at
www.zigzagthesewingrag.blogspot.com

Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 8:59 PM

"She-who-shall-not-be-named"

Seriously, that's what I named my dress form.

my horse
star
my horse
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 5/9/05
Send Message

Date: 6/3/10 9:25 PM

This is so funny. I also have an antique dressform named Matilda. My sweet stepfather found her in a dumpster in NY and took her to his home in PA where he made a stand for her from an antique flag pole and stand. Then he made a trip to NC to deliver her to me. Am I loved or what!!! Matilda permanently displays a beautiful quilted vest that DD made me 20 years ago.

I have another form that is more sculpture than function. She lives in the guest bath and holds the guest towels. I've never thought to name her but she's sort of futuristic/robotic looking so I guess there is no apparent personality to bond with.

My studio dress form is named Lucy and I haven't a clue why! One of the kids most likely. DGDs like to 'dance' with her when there is a longsleeved garment on her. They even hug her. Guess I need to put her in my will :>)

------
She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight. Proverbs 31:13 NAS

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> What did u name your dressform(s) or DTD?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Butterick 5825

photo
by: Nadalynn

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.