SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Touch & Sew 756 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Touch & Sew 756
Discussion of pros & cons of this machine.
Babs57
Babs57
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/12/10
Send Message

Date: 7/19/10 0:02 AM

I just purchased a Singer Touch & Sew 756 in a cabinet. I'm wondering if it's worth keeping the machine, I can use the cabinet so I'm not really out $. Just want to know what others think of this model. I prefer the older machines, such as my 66-16 and 500 but may keep the T&S if it's any good.
Thanks!

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Babs57

Date: 7/19/10 1:42 AM

I had a 756 back in the 70's and it was my only machine. I sewed everything on it for my 6 kids as they grew. I loved the slant needle performance that did so well from sewing tee shirts, jeans and prom dresses. This machine had just enough features for me.
I wish that I still had that machine. I would have kept it forever but had to sell it for financial reasons after a divorce and I was without a machine for several years. Though I now own several machines, I still miss my 756. My newer machines do not have the wind in place bobbin, long basting stitch nor the chain stitch that the 756 had. I loved that machine and I hope you like yours too.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Babs57

Date: 7/19/10 8:57 AM

I'm sure you'll hear many negatives about this machine, mostly due to the plastic gear issue. But being a lover of these machines (I should have more, if I only had the space), here's my two cents.

The Touch and Sews, are a unique machine in that the bobbin can be wound inside without having to unthread. If you use a large spool of thread, such as serger thread, on an external spool holder, you can sew all day to your heart's content without having to unthread. This is the hardest thing for me to get used to with my other machines (301, 221, etc.)

The machine also has a chainstitch feature that you can use for basting. (It uses thread just in the top only; no bobbin thread) This is really nice when you're making muslins.

The machine is a slant needle, which makes it easier to see the fabric and the needle, but any feet you purchase for it are a little more expensive and harder to find.

Now about some of what I feel are negatives:
The buttonhole feature is four steps, a little cumbersome. You measure your button, and place the marking on your fabric. Then you sew down one side of the mark, then sew across the bottom a few stitches, then sew up the other side, then sew across the top. You can buy an external buttonhole attachment, which is a really nice feature.

The machine is heavy; not too tote-able for classes. And some of the gears are in fact plastic, but looking on the bright side, this is what makes the machine much quieter than an all-metal gear machine. Newer machines are ALL plastic, if that gives you a clue.

I once had a 778 and have been so sorry I gave it up. It was a nice machine.

A machine's value is only as good as: 1) what you paid for it and 2) if it makes you happy.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild

Date: 7/19/10 11:36 AM

It has been years..but as it seems to me, in my memory..that my 756 had a 2 step round end buttonhole and not a 4 step BH. I believe it was done with the dial..turn one way to complete the first half then turn again for the second half of the BH.
As I remember I also liked that it had also 2 speeds..fast and slow.
-- Edited on 7/19/10 12:05 PM --

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Betakin

Date: 7/20/10 8:37 PM

Quote:
my 756 had a 2 step round end buttonhole and not a 4 step BH
You're right! Thanks for reminding me. It makes a sort of "hook" in two steps; one upside down from the other.

Yes, I really liked the two speed feature; only on the 700 series, I believe (my 600's don't have it). Fast was super fast, and slow was more for careful sewing.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
Arizona USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 7/20/10 9:54 PM

Yep, that BH was a hooker..(fast and easy). It always worked and looked nice too.

Susannah

Susannah
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 7/20/10 10:56 PM

Quote: Miss Fairchild
Yes, I really liked the two speed feature; only on the 700 series, I believe (my 600's don't have it). Fast was super fast, and slow was more for careful sewing.

You're not kidding fast is super fast! To this day, I almost always use the slow speed--but then I have never been a speed demon!
StitchinTomboy1972
StitchinTomboy1972
Member since 9/18/10
Send Message

In reply to Babs57

Date: 9/18/10 10:45 PM

did u keep the machine?

Bert62
Bert62
Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 12/3/09
Send Message

Date: 9/19/10 0:11 AM

I'm going to worm my way into your thread. I don't have a Touch and Sew 756, but I do have a Stylist 774. Many of the machines from this time look so very similar. I don't even know what the difference between a T & S and a Stylist is (?) It seems to me that they arbitrarily named them. Anyway, I have cleaned, oiled and checked mine out. It's a nice machine. It doesn't have a lot of stitches and no cam option, but I do like the break-down free arm (don't know what to call it). I like the 2 speed option, but I don't find fast to be alarmingly so. I wonder if I should adjust the feed dogs. This is a pretty nice machine for mid '70's Singer. Bert
By the way, if you have the manual; I hope the machine makes you as deliriously happy as the women on the cover !
-- Edited on 9/19/10 0:27 AM --

Magdalynnsmom
Magdalynnsmom
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 8/3/13
Send Message

Date: 8/3/13 5:18 PM

Hi all! My machine is currently in storage so I am using my mother in laws 756. I had some trouble with it jamming up as another person mentioned. I got it cleared out and re-threaded but now it will not loop the bobbin thread up so I can get back to sewing, :,( Has anyone else had this problem and know what to do to fix it?

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Touch & Sew 756

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Butterick 5791

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic

Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2011-122

photo
by: thepegret

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.