SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Juki MO 735 or Bernina serger ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki MO 735 or Bernina serger
Debi in OK

Debi in OK
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 2/26/08
Send Message

Date: 7/26/10 2:20 PM

I'm in the market for a new serger. I have been to a Juki dealer and tried to sew on the 735 but the stitches were unimpressive. The salesperson was not knowledgeable about the machine and wasn't sure how to adjust etc.
I sewed on the Bernina 4-thread mc150? .... can't afford the 130 for the 5 thread.... anyhow the stitch was amazing. I know that Juki makes Bernina sergers. Is there a quality difference between what Juki makes for themselves and what they make for Bernina? Are both made in the same factory? It's my understanding that Juki is now made in China.
Anybody got any helpful input for me??? TIA

wsu 1 fan
star
wsu 1 fan  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Idaho USA
Member since 1/2/06
Send Message

In reply to Debi in OK
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 7/26/10 2:57 PM

I have a Juki 734 DE and love it....I bought it online, and it has stitched great right out of the box. I have owned it for over two years now, and wouldn't give it up. I went to the Bernina dealer and compared the two, and they were virtually identical, and the Juki was almost half the cost.

I am sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience with it in the store. Is there someone you could bring along?

Colleen

------
Sheldon:" I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!" The Big Bang Theory

"Come to the dark side, we have cookies." Bumper sticker

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted." Mae West

New Home 443, Kenmore 19233, Simplicity SE3, Janome CP 1000, Juki 734DE, Singer 201-2, Singer 301A, Singer 201-2, Singer 401A, Singer 404, Singer 15-91, and a Kenmore 1050.

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to Debi in OK

Date: 7/26/10 3:40 PM

Perhaps the Juki wasn't set up properly, as Jukis are great sergers. The machines you are considering really are essentially the same. A manager at the Juki USA headquarters confirmed for me recently that they still manufacture the Bernina sergers. I believe 2 features distinguish the newer Berninas - the Micro Thread Control and the LCD display. The MTC sounds nice, but my older Juki-made Bernina 4-thread doesn't have or need it and it makes a beautiful stitch. The LCD display is basically a convenient way to show the user how to set up each stitch, but you already have that in the manual. It is not a programmable feature.

Most Jukis are now made in China, including the home sergers. But the Bernina sergers are also made there now. I recently asked that same Juki USA manager about the quality of machines made in China, and he said that it has been several years since they started manufacturing machines in China and they have watched the quality carefully. The machinery to manufacture the machines was shipped from Japan to China and the machines are made to Japanese specs. He said that they have had no particular problems so far with the machines made in China. Our conversation touched on many issues and many machines, and I do believe he was being straight with me - he wasn't selling.

He also told me that Bernina doesn't allow their dealers to sell Juki sergers because they are the same machine for less money. That makes sense!

As for the coverstitch, you might find that it is really much more convenient to have a separate coverstitch machine than a serger that does it all. For the price of the Bernina 4-thread alone, you can probably buy both a Juki 4-thread and a Janome Coverpro.

Debi in OK

Debi in OK
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 2/26/08
Send Message

In reply to wsu 1 fan

Date: 7/26/10 4:01 PM

Colleen, Did you happen to compare the stitches on the two machines? Did they look the same to you? Thanks for your info.

Debi in OK

Debi in OK
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 2/26/08
Send Message

In reply to Barbara3

Date: 7/26/10 4:05 PM

Barbara, Thanks for the input. I was wondering if the Bernina sergers were also made in China.... I was wanting the 5 thread for the safety stitch. Maybe I'm making that more important than it is. I have a Brother stand alone coverstitch which I like very much. I wouldn't mind a back-up for it though, if I was able to afford a 5 thread.

wsu 1 fan
star
wsu 1 fan  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Idaho USA
Member since 1/2/06
Send Message

In reply to Debi in OK

Date: 7/26/10 4:19 PM

Deb, yes they did. I brought home the brochure for the Bernina, and compared them to the Juki's. They were the same. But like any serger, if they aren't threaded correctly they will make stitches.

The owner's manual is good, but not great, so the first few times I threaded it I would have to really concentrate to make sure I had everything were it was supposed to be....I would catch myself having the threading incorrect in a few vital places. One was the little guide where both the upper and lower looper threads would run through inside of the serger. I love the safety feature where it won't run if you have the door open. I have a bad habit of leaving my foot on the foot controller.

Barbara gave you great info on the Juki serger. I would second her suggestion as to getting a serger, and a separate coverstitch.

I know I spent MONTHS researching sergers, and decided on the Juki and haven't regretted it a minute.

Colleen

------
Sheldon:" I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!" The Big Bang Theory

"Come to the dark side, we have cookies." Bumper sticker

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted." Mae West

New Home 443, Kenmore 19233, Simplicity SE3, Janome CP 1000, Juki 734DE, Singer 201-2, Singer 301A, Singer 201-2, Singer 401A, Singer 404, Singer 15-91, and a Kenmore 1050.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 7/26/10 6:27 PM

Only the TOL Bernina 1300MDC serger has the LCD display, along with the ability to convert to a coverhem stitch. The 1150MDA and others do not coverstitch nor hava the LCD display.

Bernina sergers

EasyPeas
EasyPeas
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 7/27/10 0:35 AM

Just wanted to mention: I have the Juki MO-754 (which I think is like one of the Bernina sergers, but not sure which one), and I really love it. It replaced a somewhat anemic Babylock Evolve. I find the Juki much more powerful, the upper knife cuts through anything (because it cuts down from the top), and the serger is pretty easy to thread and adjust. The machine itself feels really solid, it doesn't vibrate off the table like my Evolve did. There is a threading guide .pdf for download at Allbrands , it's much better than the threading guide included in the juki manual.

I purchased my Juki from Allbrands earlier this year; it was refurbished, and a package deal which included a bunch of accessory feet, 100 needles, 12 cones of thread, a DVD, and an extended warranty. With no tax, free shipping, and an Allbrands coupon, I think it was about $750.00. I'm sure the Bernina serger is really nice; but if you decide to go with the Juki, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's a big decision, I know. HTH

Indie

-- Edited on 7/27/10 0:36 AM --

bellsew
star
bellsew  Friend of PR
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 10/14/03
Send Message

Date: 7/27/10 0:41 AM

I've had the Juki 655, Juki 735 and the Bernina 1300 sergers. The Bernina says on the box it is made in China, as are the Jukis. My 655 was made in Japan, but it was an older model. All were great sergers and no difference in quality between the Juki and the Bernina.

LABOZ
LABOZ
Beginner
Member since 11/7/10
Send Message

Date: 12/21/10 2:41 PM

Great discussion!

I ordered a Juki 735 online yesterday and was having "buyers remorse," thinking that it will not be of the same quality as the Bernina 1300, since the Juki was made in China.

I came very close to buying a used Baby Lock Enlighten, but the new Juki was $300 less and included many extras, so I am feeling less remorseful.

Have a great Christmas/Holiday everyone!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Juki MO 735 or Bernina serger

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

New Look 6000

photo
by: style insp...

Review

Pattern

McCall's 5138

photo
by: kealoha

Review
You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

You Sew Girl Hobo Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.