SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Vintage Sewing > who wants to help with getting a vintage pattern re-issued? ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
who wants to help with getting a vintage pattern re-issued?
Call for help.
Ravenette84
Ravenette84
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/8/10
Send Message

Date: 8/2/10 12:28 PM

Here's the story...
I (and from what I can gather a few others here) are in search of a dress known as McCall's 9393A OR the Advance 400. Today seen on whirling turbans site lovingly called "the butterfly dress". I have been haunted by this dress for literally YEARS now, and have never been able to get my hands on the pattern.
So I wrote McCall's about perhaps re-issuing the pattern. I got a very nice response informing me That "Anything to be considered for republication, we need to have a copy of the pattern in question submitted by someone pattern files..If you find the pattern and are willing to submit it for republishing, please let us know. Or if there are other patterns that you have in your possession that you want considered for this process, please let us know."

So here is my call to all my vintage sewing people out there that might have this pattern. If you do and are willing to loan it out... PLEASE get in contact with me about maybe loaning the pattern to McCall's to re-issue this amazing pattern.

Thanks everyone for your help.

**UPDATE AT END OF THREAD 5/12/11**
-- Edited on 5/12/11 10:44 AM --

Rhonda Noah
starstarstar
Rhonda Noah
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 8/4/10 7:35 PM

Do you happen to have a link to the pattern you mean? Numbers are reused and although they are reused years apart, it could be confusing. I'd hate to have you wind up with a pattern for men's boxer shorts when you were hoping for a dress.

------
Life is mostly froth and bubble; two things stand in stone: Kindness in another's troubles, courage in your own.

Rhonda Noah
starstarstar
Rhonda Noah
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 8/4/10 7:42 PM

ok, I think I found it. Is this it? Butterfly dress

------
Life is mostly froth and bubble; two things stand in stone: Kindness in another's troubles, courage in your own.

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 8/4/10 8:21 PM

I can't help with the pattern, but that dress is lovely! And it looks like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to recreate from a pattern with a similar silhouette. I might give it a go sometime.

Athene
star
Athene  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/14/06
Send Message

Date: 8/5/10 2:45 AM

Wow, that is a gorgeous dress. I agree with lareine, I think this dress would be quite easy to replicate, and I am not an advanced sewer, I call myself an advanced beginner.

All you need is a circle skirt and a wrap style bodice. You could try searching the different pattern company sites(Vogue, Mccalls, Butterick, simplicity ) for the right type of wrap top or wrap dress for the bodice, and instead of shoulders you simply modify the top portion into ties which can be tied for the bow effect. Or see if you can find a friend that would be willing to help you drape fit a bodice from scratch.

Thank you for starting this thread, and thank you Rhonda for posting the pictures. I liked it so much I made a copy of those pictures and hope to try making this dress myself for next summer. A very hot looking sexy dress for the summer.

------

MagpieJen
star
MagpieJen
Advanced
CANADA
Member since 2/22/05
Send Message

Date: 8/5/10 12:30 PM

I do love that dress! I would love to see it in print too.

The one I want repro'd is a Shaheen-inspired sarong with all the complicated bodice bits - petal bust, pleats, that sort of thing - in both full and narrow-wrap skirts, and while I'm at it - a matching bolero.

Whenever one of the original vintage sarong patterns go up for sale (which is almost never, they are super rare) it goes for ridiculously high prices!

There is a repro in a similar vein to my dream Hawaiian from EvaDress, but it's pretty simple:
http://www.evadress.com/108.html

And Simplicity Retro used to have something along the same lines that I wouldn't mind seeing back in print: Simplicity 4559. Though it lacked a bolero and the bust isn't exactly what my dream dress would have:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9126

Scissorhappy also has a pricey repro pattern for a Hawaiian sarong:

Scissorhappy.com Repro Sarong

*sigh* One day...

Whirling Turban's Petal Bust Dress

Sickofitcindy
star
Sickofitcindy
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/1/08
Send Message

In reply to MagpieJen

Date: 8/5/10 1:05 PM

Quote: MagpieJen
I do love that dress! I would love to see it in print too.

The one I want repro'd is a Shaheen-inspired sarong with all the complicated bodice bits - petal bust, pleats, that sort of thing - in both full and narrow-wrap skirts, and while I'm at it - a matching bolero.

Whenever one of the original vintage sarong patterns go up for sale (which is almost never, they are super rare) it goes for ridiculously high prices!

There is a repro in a similar vein to my dream Hawaiian from EvaDress, but it's pretty simple:

http://www.evadress.com/108.html

And Simplicity Retro used to have something along the same lines that I wouldn't mind seeing back in print: Simplicity 4559. Though it lacked a bolero and the bust isn't exactly what my dream dress would have:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9126

Scissorhappy also has a pricey repro pattern for a Hawaiian sarong:

Scissorhappy.com Repro Sarong

*sigh* One day...

Whirling Turban's Petal Bust Dress

I love that dress too! I'm starting private draping lessons at the end of the month with the intention of making this dress. Sooo gorgeous!
colorkitten
star
colorkitten
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 1/19/08
Send Message

In reply to Ravenette84

Date: 8/5/10 1:42 PM

I've been in love with that dress since your last thread about it! I was going to try and copy it this summer but with no a/c in the sewing area and a near-non-stop heat wave since June, well....I haven't sewn a thing.

One thing I wonder -- the original pattern claims to have no buttons, but the whirling turban version fastens at the side with buttons and loops. How did the original fasten? It's shown with a belt in the photo and the line drawing, so you can't see anything. I'm thinking it's just hooks and eyes? But would that be strong enough?

------
~sarah
www.colorkitten.com

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Ravenette84

Date: 8/5/10 1:48 PM

Love this dress. I hope if they do re-issue it, they include multiple cup sizes. If they don't, I can just imagine the FBA questions popping up on here

drsue
starstarstarstar
drsue
Beginner
Yukon Territory USA
Member since 11/11/03
Send Message

Date: 8/5/10 11:07 PM

Something to think about:

vintage seems to be all the rage at the moment. I've made 2 items with full skirts this summer from current patterns. Why not lobby a pattern company (the big 4 or an independent) to just make a pattern for a similar design?

Also check with Decades of Style, see if they have this pattern and if it might be put in their pipeline for production.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Vintage Sewing >> who wants to help with getting a vintage pattern re-issued?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Simplicity 2284

photo
by: tenlilelve...

Review
De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

More Info
Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

Favorite Things Blossoms & Bloomers Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.