SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Do you have SMAD ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you have SMAD
Be familiar with the signs and symptoms..info here..
poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/25/10 11:16 AM

You may have SMAD if...

I. You have a back up machine ..for your back up machine.

2. You have more than one model of the same machine.

3. You have the same machine model.. but in two or more different colors.

4. If doesn't matter.. what model the machine is.. as long as you can afford it. More severe cases,, upon seeing a model that they cannot afford will go searching for that same model until they get it.

5. You use your grocery monies to buy machines .. More severe cases will not care if there is enough food in the pantry to tide them over.. as they plan on using the pantry space to store the machine.

6. You stop at EVERY garage sale.. no matter what the weather.. and you start garage sale shopping in neighborhoods that have alot of older ladies. More severe cases will talk others into looking for them too.

7. You start going to church again.. and to other types of places.. just to keep an ear out for someone selling their machines. More severe cases will volunteer working on fund raisers so to be the first to see any machines donated.

8.. You pop up craigslist first thing in the morning.. You look at all new listings on ebay every chance you get. More severe cases will keep checking hourly.. some even leave their screens on craigslist all day. The most severe cases will search under words such as sowing, sawing.. etc.. and in all categories.

9. You can name more than two ebay sellers by name.. and know their reputation. More severe cases will have the ebay seller info bookmarked.

l0. You start enabling others to buy ... so as to feed the fever.. More severe cases will PM others buying to see if they want to sell it. The most severe cases will even send money to others to go buy the machines for them..

ll.. You are storing machines at others homes..

12. You have gotten rid of other furniture to find room for more machines.. More severe cases have gotten rid of guest rooms to hold sewing machines only. And hey..that hallway is just wasted space too. Most severe cases will look forward to their children leaving home so they will have more space for machines.. DHs suddenly seem in the way and may also be in danger...

13. Your bucket list reads.. Acquire one or more of every machine....

14.. You spend any free time on ebay buying accessories for your machines.. More severe cases buy accessories for machine they have not even acquired yet.

15. You hang on PR in case someone links a machine in your area.. More severe cases will consider booking plane tickets to other areas..

16. You plan your vacation to a state that has lots of machines on Craigslist cheap..

l7.. You can no longer name each and every machine you have.. More severe cases are unaware of how many machines they really do have.. Most severe cases also have embellishers and sergers and other type machines.

l8.. You can name more than five vintage Singers.. More severe cases can also name all the vintage Berninas.. Most severe cases can recognize and name a machine by the pic.

l9.. You buy odd machines such as the Japanese colored ones.. just cause they are pretty.. but also because they might sew.. or might not.. doesn't matter if they look cool.
More severe cases also buy the old Morse tanks..and others like it.

20.. You start haunting book stores for books on these machines.. More severe cases will also look for novels with sewing in the titles or story lines such as Monica Ferris.
MOST severe will actually look forward to one of Poorpiglings stories.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 8/25/10 11:19 AM

Quote:
ll.. You are storing machines at others homes..

Quote:
16. You plan your vacation to a state that has lots of machines on Craigslist cheap.. l7..

I RESEMBLE THESE REMARKS!

Oh - and you forgot 21. Haunts PAWN SHOPS....

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet

Date: 8/25/10 11:28 AM

Well, what do you know.. the gal that coined the phrase SMAD herself.. Thanks for the addition.

22.. You stay friends with people you do not like.. in case they sell their machine. More severe cases will cultivate friendships on the basis of what machines their friends might have...

24.. You join multiple yahoo groups ..in case someone there sells their machines..

25.. You never miss chat ...in case someone mentions they MIGHT be selling their machines. More severe cases go to the chat room nightly to see if others are there...

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 8/25/10 11:29 AM

Quote:
the gal that coined the phrase SMAD herself.

No...I learned it here on PR when I first joined...:) People were using that, and I know it probably dates to the misty dawn of time....;)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 8/25/10 11:38 AM

Whew! I don't have any grocery money to spend on sewing machines, so I don't have SMAD!

I'd been worrying...but now I don't need to.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SansSouci572
star
SansSouci572
Advanced
California USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 8/25/10 11:40 AM

I think I have been infected, but it is not full blown.

I would like to add though, instead of looking at every cl, just get a-list alerts for your areas and don't forget estate sales and estate auctions.
They even have on line estate auctions.

Another symptom might be that you become more familiar with auto part stores, since they have evaporust and wax, scratch out and such.
And also we now know about 18 gauge lamp wire vs 16.

------
"What you WANT is irrelevant, what you've CHOSEN is at hand." --Mr. Spock

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/25/10 11:40 AM

26.. People start writing stories about your addiction.

27.. You cancel other appointments..doctor, etc.. to go look at a machine..

28.. People start asking you questions about machines.. and you can answer them...

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/25/10 11:44 AM

SanSouci.. we can make yours numbers 29 , and 30..

31.. You keep a list of multiple sites to search on.. such as goodwill and others..

32.. Your Friday nite entertainment becomes sitting at auction houses to bid on machines..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/25/10 11:45 AM

33.. You start taking the newspaper..in case someone has a machine listed on the classifieds.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 8/25/10 11:48 AM

34. You look at machines on Craigslist in cities you don't live in.. More severe cases will email their friends and relatives in other cities to go pick up those machines...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Do you have SMAD

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

McCall's 6083

photo
by: awesomepot...

Review

Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

More Info
Advance Pattern Company 5578 (vintage)

photo
by: SewMentalM...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.