SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 831 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 831
I inherited this!
aquamarineerica

aquamarineerica
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/23/08
Send Message

Date: 8/31/10 3:51 PM

A week ago I inherited my great-grandmother's Bernina. My aunt paid for the servicing, and when I went to pick it up, the repairman said I had a great machine. I see nothing in the reviews about an 831, yet that is what it is. I'm curious to know what the price of it was at the time of purchase. My aunt says that $1200 was paid for it, new. My mom says $3000. Which is correct, and how much would it be worth now? I believe it was bought in the mid to late 70's.

Thanks...
Erica

------
Every day is a clean slate.
"Decisions are made by those who show up"...Allison Janney, The West Wing

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to aquamarineerica

Date: 8/31/10 4:00 PM

Closer to $1,200, but I don't think these sold for that much. The 930, which was a more capable machine that came out in 1984(?) retailed initially at $1,200, so I'm thinking the 831/831 might have gone for around $800-1,000.

There's one currently up for auction on ebay. Ends in about an hour and currently at $203.50. See what it eventually sells for, and this may give you some idea of what it's worth. Keep in mind that this machine was used very little and is in mint condition, but lacks accessories.

Bernina 831 on ebay

-- Edited on 8/31/10 4:01 PM --

Bert62
Bert62  Friend of PR
Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 12/3/09
Send Message

In reply to Soolip

Date: 8/31/10 4:18 PM

I worked on a 731 which was the pared down version of the 730 Record. I'm assuming the 831 is much the same with the fewer stitches. Nevertheless, I still love those old Berninas. They are something to behold.

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 8/31/10 5:22 PM

Closed at $430.99. Not bad.

glenj

glenj
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/08
Send Message

In reply to Soolip

Date: 8/31/10 5:25 PM

auction just finished. $430.99us.
I bought an 807 serviced from a bernina dealer for 240 au.I sewed drapes on it yesterday,it purred through the process fabulous little machine

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 8/31/10 5:34 PM

Oooooohhhhhh, you are sooooo lucky! I'm with the $1,200 price guess, possibly a little lower. These machines are wonderful. You might enjoy the Bernina ThirtySomethings yahoo group if you have questions about the machine. This group is for that generation of machine.

RadarRadiance
star
RadarRadiance
Intermediate
Nevada USA
Member since 10/24/07
Send Message

Date: 8/31/10 10:56 PM

I feel you're all high on the price. I just pulled out my original receipt for when I bought my 930 Bernina new in 1987 and the price was $979. Back then that was a lot of money, this was new, not a floor model. I still have that baby!!! ... Lots of money back then. Prior to that machine I had my momís 830 I bought from her and she got it new, I know it wasn't over a $1000. I'm thinking around $700 or $800. Both machine's purchased new in MN but the price should be similar.
The 831 should be a great machine, the 830 was a lot of fun to use and stitched perfect, the best button holes and the straight stitch and satin where precise as good be. I learned how to do thread painting and tons of free motion with that machine. It went through everything and would still handle the chiffons perfect. You got a great machine, enjoy!!! Just remember the 8XX series do require oiling, shuttle and about 5 locations on the needle shaft. It will purr for you

aquamarineerica

aquamarineerica
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/23/08
Send Message

Date: 9/1/10 12:01 PM

Thank you all for responding so quickly! No matter what, it's a treasure to me and I feel fortunate to have it. Haven't sewn on it yet. This may sound weird but I actually named the machine Freda, after my great-grandmother!

Thanks again!
Erica

------

RadarRadiance
star
RadarRadiance
Intermediate
Nevada USA
Member since 10/24/07
Send Message

Date: 9/1/10 12:28 PM

You will love the machine, great name!!
Here is a link to an older Bernia comparison chart. It doesn't list the 831 but I would think it to be very similar to the 830. I loved that machine but couldn't justify having the 830 and 930. Was a tough decision on which one to sell....

aquamarineerica

aquamarineerica
Advanced Beginner
Oregon USA
Member since 10/23/08
Send Message

In reply to RadarRadiance

Date: 9/1/10 12:50 PM

THAT is wonderful!!! Very useful to have!

Erica

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 831

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6503

photo
by: zoe

Review
New Look 6723

photo
by: Erinnb

Review
SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

SewBaby Terrific Teepees Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Kiss Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.