SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Houston fabric store ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Houston fabric store
recommendations?
newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

Date: 8/31/10 11:30 PM

I will be traveling to Texas soon to visit family and we plan to go fabric shopping. My sister lives an hour south of Houston and we have a few toddlers coming with us, so I may only get to visit one store. I saw positive reviews for High Fashion Fabric Center, but their website seems to emphasize bridal and evening wear. I am wondering if there are any other stores that you would recommend.

I am interested mainly in a variety of knits and fabrics for little girls, with knits being the priority. We don't have a wide variety of knits available where I live, and I would like to be able to check out the different kinds in person.

Thanks!

------
angie
http://danikate-designs.blogspot.com/

3HoursPast
starstarstar
3HoursPast
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/7/08
Send Message

Date: 9/1/10 6:27 AM

High Fashion Fabrics, Louisiana Ave. The website does look mostly like bridal and evening, but they have acres of cottons, cotton silk, suitings, all kinds of every day fabrics. And a huge quilting section. If you have one place to go, go there. I'm not even kidding.

Edited to add: I'm fairly sure they have knits, but I can't vouch for it completely because I don't sew knits so they're off my radar. But HFF does have a great deal more variety than shows up on their website.
-- Edited on 9/1/10 6:28 AM --

------
http://3hourspast.com- Vintage Style, Sewing, and Ethical Fashion

newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

Date: 9/1/10 1:54 PM

Thanks bellelass. High Fashion Fabrics sounds great, and I will try to get there if I can, but I am really looking for a good selection of knits.

I'm thinking Houston is big enough, any other recommendations? Again, for a good selection of knits, and possibly juvenile fabrics?

------
angie

newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

Date: 9/3/10 8:19 PM

Bumping this up in the hopes someone has a recommendation. Thanks!

------
angie

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 9/3/10 9:13 PM

High Fashion is about the best I know of. If all you have where you live are chain stores, then it's worth a stop there.

When I asked an instructor about the best place to shop for garment fabric in Houston, her immediate answer was: Dallas! I know, not much help.

Edited to add: When you first walk in HFF you will see a huge room full of suitings and formal/bridal. Back in the corner is the entrance to the room where all the other fabrics are. It's easy to miss.

-- Edited on 9/3/10 9:15 PM --

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06
Send Message

Date: 9/4/10 3:59 AM

Fabric stores near Houston

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

Date: 9/4/10 12:36 PM

Thank you very much TessKwiltz. That was actually very helpful. We won't be able to make it to Dallas, so it looks like I will be checking out High Fashion. I appreciate the tip on where the non-formal stuff is!

@ clt3--I did try searching already, but the results took a long time to weed through, and everything I found was a chain store, home dec, or primarily quilting cottons. So that's why I was looking for help from someone familiar with the area. Thank you though.

------
angie

Jeannine1976
star
Jeannine1976
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 1/29/09
Send Message

Date: 9/7/10 8:50 PM

I live in Houston. We have your run-of-the-mill JoAnn and Hancock Fabrics at various locations. We also have two one-off shops you might like.

High Fashion is one of them. In one area, you'll find mostly formal fabrics and suiting. Silk, wool, linen, cashmere, embroidered fancies and lace are all on the one side, as well as polyester crepes and shantungs, chinese brocades, ribbons, buckles and most other notions. Warning: Their notions selection isn't the best, especially if you're looking for thread.

In the other area, there is cotton, rayon, knits, shirting, velvet and novelties like fake fur. There is no home decor because they have another store right across the street for that. In this area, you'll also find most buttons.

The prices are a little painful, but they have a lot of things marked down 50% and you can get some great deals.

There is another store, however, that is relatively unknown. It's called Universal Fabrics and is on Times just off of Kirby. Universal is also high end, but their strengths are in different areas than those of High Fashion. For example, their notions are insane. There are so many buttons and trims that it's overwhelming unless you know what you're looking for. They have an excellent selection of silk jerseys and carry a better selection of silk in general than High Fashion. They also carry Liberty of London cotton prints.

The downside to Universal is the layout. It's filled to the rafters with fabric and is difficult to navigate. So don't go if you're claustrophobic. If you're not, though, it's worth a peek. There's a $5/yd silk area that's a steal and many of their fabrics are marked down as well. Not as easy to find, but the staff are very friendly and happy to help you hunt.

Both stores have a good (as good as you'll find in the city) selection of knits in kid-friendly prints.

Hope this helps!
-- Edited on 9/7/10 8:52 PM --

newmama
star
newmama  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Send Message

In reply to Jeannine1976

Date: 9/7/10 9:25 PM

Thank you SO much! I am very excited that I have more than one option now!! And I'm not claustrophobic, so that shouldn't be a problem! Thank you for giving me so many details, too, now I can daydream until my trip (I get to Texas tomorrow)!

------
angie

Re Becca
starstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Jeannine1976

Date: 9/7/10 10:10 PM

Quote: jeannineb1976
There is another store, however, that is relatively unknown. It's called Universal Fabrics and is on Times just off of Kirby. Universal is also high end, but their strengths are in different areas than those of High Fashion. For example, their notions are insane. There are so many buttons and trims that it's overwhelming unless you know what you're looking for. They have an excellent selection of silk jerseys and carry a better selection of silk in general than High Fashion. They also carry Liberty of London cotton prints.

The downside to Universal is the layout. It's filled to the rafters with fabric and is difficult to navigate. So don't go if you're claustrophobic. If you're not, though, it's worth a peek. There's a $5/yd silk area that's a steal and many of their fabrics are marked down as well. Not as easy to find, but the staff are very friendly and happy to help you hunt.

OMG! It is so great to see that I am not single handedly propping up Universal Fabric!
Most of my silk jersey comes from there, as well as most of my silk lining for jackets. I love, love this place, but you have to give yourself some time to dig. I will admit that it is quite crowded. The last time I was in there they had put in taller shelves, but that just made it harder to look across the store.

But I am getting nostalgic here. If you are looking for knits at Universal, they are almost all the way to the back of the store on the left. If you are looking at High's, try the other room down the little ramp. The knits are at about 10 O'Clock as you walk through the door, and the cottons are straight ahead or on the right.

Funny thing is, I still don't remember where things are in the grocery store, but if you ask me for animal print silk charmeuse or black wool cashmere and I can find it with my eyes shut.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Houston fabric store

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Simplicity 1915

photo
by: Gatorbunny

Review
StyleArc Jenny Shirt

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

Buy Now
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.