SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Receiving Blanket ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Receiving Blanket
Double - Serging aroung it
KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

Date: 9/4/10 10:54 PM

I'm gonna be a gramma! And I want to make baby things. I'm starting with some receiving blankets, but I'm running into a little problem.

I am buying 3 yards of flannel, washing it a couple of times, folding it in half, squaring it off, then marking a line all the way around it, rounding the corners. Serging it is fine, but when I wash it, the edges are 'foldy' so the blanket doesn't lay perfectly flat. And I'm sure my daughter-in-law is not going to iron it every time she pulls it out of the dryer

I wonder if I fused the two layers together first then serged. Would that be weird?

I'll welcome any ideas, this is all new to me!

Thank you!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 9/4/10 11:29 PM

Congrats Kathleen! I personally love sewing with flannelet, so I envy you on two accounts:-) So you are making doubled receiving blankets? When is the baby due? Depending on the season, it may be too warm for that. But given your question, you might want to fuse the edges with a very light weight steam a seam. You don't want it to be stiff when it is fused.

Do you have a rolled hem on your serger? You might find a loose rolled hem (I think the book calls it a shell hem?) works well.

No matter what you end up doing, enjoy sewing all that flannelet and enjoy that baby when it arrives!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

KathleenNW

KathleenNW  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/20/06
Send Message

Date: 9/5/10 1:55 AM

ahhh HA! just fusing the edges might work. The baby is due the first of March, in Portland Oregon. It's still nippy there in March.

I'm using a three thread narrow hem. It looks nice, until it's washed, then the top and bottom layers shift around. I don't want to quilt or tie the layers together.

Thank you for the help.

JDpenelope
starstar
JDpenelope  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/9/03
Send Message

Date: 9/5/10 9:24 AM

As the old saying goes,

If we'd known how much fun grandkids were, we'd have had them first!

Congratulations. Now that the urge to sew for your progeny has set in, blankets are a good option. If doubling the fabric is causing all those problems, why not sew single squares or rectangles, using a blanket stitch around the edge. It should be quick and easy, and if you make enough, the new Mom can use two blankets when more warmth is needed.

Babies generate lots of internal heat, and often don't need so much warmth. But if you really need to provide more warmth, what about a few polar fleece blankets, with blanket stitch edges....?

-- Edited on 9/5/10 9:26 AM --

------
aka Joanne. (Penelope was our cat. RIP.)
"What mother nature gives, father time takes away."
Yahoo group: Sewing-with-Industrial-Machines

wanttosewmore
wanttosewmore  Friend of PR
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 4/21/08
Send Message

In reply to KathleenNW

Date: 9/5/10 9:55 AM

The leftover scraps make great burp clothes, I double them and make a seam. I'm in the new grandma phase and it seemed they have clothes galore but I searched house for extra burp clothes and recieving blankets. Enjoy!!

Portia Hirschman

Portia Hirschman  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/22/04
Send Message

Date: 9/5/10 2:44 PM

I have made dozens of receiving blankets--maybe 50 to 60! The ones you make are larger and cozier than the ones you buy. I have been able to find really nice flannel in bulk at G Street on occasion--when I do, I buy what they have. My daughters love them and have "ordered" them for friends as I also embroider names, etc. on one corner.

I cut them "squared off" then use a coaster to round the corners and then used the rolled hem on my serger using wooly nylon in one of the loopers. The edges lay flat and are soft. Now I keep extras for a quick gift. And yes, I use extra flannel to make the ends of burp cloths to coordinate. I even went so far as to make coordinating pajama pants for my daughter so that she would match.

Congratulations on becoming a grandma! What fun awaits you!

Rita K
Rita K
Advanced
Member since 9/22/05
Send Message

In reply to Portia Hirschman

Date: 9/5/10 6:57 PM

Do you do just a single layer?
I've been wanting to do a double layer, but I've been wondering if there would be issues? I have a printed panel like one I saw on Nancy's Notions but purchased locally that I thought I'd back with a plain flannel.

Any hints?

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 9/5/10 8:35 PM

Actually, I usually do a double flannel layer blanket, bigger than a receiving blanket, and I do just do a second row of stitching 3 or 4 inches in from the edge and that seems to work really well. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

I love the idea of matching pj's for mom!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

sreel
sreel
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/5/10 8:39 PM

i really think that a single layer will be enough. my DD is a february baby and im in south jersey, so the coldest part of our winter is the end of january through the beginning of march. and she was fine with just a blanket and the car seat cover. plus a lot of baby clothes seem to be made extra warm now a days.
but good luck with everything and congrats.

------
these are more of a make by xmas goals.
new stilt pants for the hubby(just needs hemming)
a winter coat for DD (done)
a quilt for each of my lil bros soon to be daughters
some type of top and tutu for soon to be nieces birthday next month

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/5/10 11:53 PM

I have made single layer receiving blankets for my daughters to give their friends for baby showers for the past almost 15 years and also for my own grandkids when they ere born. I always wash the flannel, TEAR it 36 inches square, round the corners and serge with three thread overlock using fine baby yarn in the upper looper and white thread in needle and lower looper.I recently got a new machine that I tried the wrapped stitch with yarn and it looked great. I think you can even use a rolled edge with the yarn. You may have to bypass some thread guides and/or the tension disc. Try it! My daughters' friends say they hold up amazingly.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Receiving Blanket

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Sewing Workshop Icon Shirt

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.