Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Pfaff creative 4874 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff creative 4874
YES!!!! Top coverstitch works great!
Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/17/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/11/10 1:52 AM

I DID IT! My top coverstitch looks so great and works so well. Anyone who has this machine and hasn't tried it, try it now! It is sort of noisy because of the top cover hook that moves back and forth in front of the needles and it's slower because the machine automatically goes to slowest speed, but well worth it. I used it to turn under and stitch armholes, neckline and hem on a bunch of knit tank tops. You can turn the hem to the wrong side and stitch with that side facing up allowing the real coverstitch to show on the right side as decoration. The raw hem edge is facing up, easy to see and therefore easily encased with the top coverstitch. Wish I knew how to post pictures. I'll have to learn. I am so delighted!

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 9/11/10 2:28 AM

That's great. It is nice to know that it works well.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/17/10

Date: 9/11/10 4:10 PM

Thanks for sharing my delight!

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 9/11/10 7:43 PM

Oh, you're welcome. It is so nice to know that a machine does what it is supposed to do and does it well. It makes them much more fun to use lol, and I do love to read happy posts from owners.
You really do have a lovely machine. It is one that really does it all.

Restart06
star
Restart06
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 9/11/10 9:14 PM

Thanks for the info....I haven't used that aspect of my machine yet....but plan to in the future. Thanks for sharing!

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Lil Flo
Lil Flo
Advanced Beginner
LA USA
Member since 4/17/09

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 9/11/10 9:27 PM

Strange you should post this at this time. There is a Janome Coverpro I've been deciding if I need for sale here on PR. Your excitement makes me want to just go ahead and buy it. But for the life of me can't figure what I'd use if for. I usually do quilting, but have wanted to get into garment sewing. I have a regular Janome 634D serger, but it does not do a coverstitch. sigh.....Decisions decisions.......

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04

In reply to Lil Flo

Date: 9/11/10 9:40 PM

Flo, if you want a combo machine the Pfaff 4874 really does it all. It is a 10 thread machine that not only does many overlock stitches, cover hem and chain stitches but also deco stitches and "top" cover hem.
The Janome CP models are great for cover hem but they do not do the amount of deco stitches or top cover hem.

I will tell you something funny, I do love my serger and combo model that does 3 cover hems but..I was doing a project for one of the grandkids where I had to embroidery a train and train tracks. I thought I would use the reverse or underneath stitch of my 3 seam coverhem for the tracks. The project came out cute...but several weeks later, I found that one of my sewing machines has a stitch that looks almost exactly the same as the reverse side of a 3 seam coverhem. It is also nice and wide like the extra wide stitches that I have on my combo. I had just never used that stitch on my sewing machine before. It is on my Kenmore that has 395 stitches.
-- Edited on 9/11/10 9:42 PM --

Lil Flo
Lil Flo
Advanced Beginner
LA USA
Member since 4/17/09

In reply to Betakin

Date: 9/11/10 9:47 PM

Thanks Betakin. The 4874 is probably waay more than I need. I really don't need the coverpro either. I once used a sewing machine stitch that resembled a 3 seam coverstitch also. I think I will just use what I have for now. Thanks for helping me make this decision alot easier. LOL

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 1/17/10

Date: 9/11/10 11:18 PM

I don't know if I would have sought this 4874 out if I had been looking to buy it new but it fell into my lap when a fellow ASG member bought a Babylock and decided to sell her 4874. I worked on it for a day at a Sew-In we had and she gave me a price that was irresistable. I had...still have...a Pfaff 3-4 thread and had the $$ set aside for an upgrade. I love the regular coverhem on it. It makes hemming knits a dream and it is easy to switch back and forth between coverstitch and serger. Fast and easy. My regular serger's foot is much smaller and I don't know why they made such a big hunkin' foot for this combo, but I have purchased a band and braiding foot and an Elna blindhem foot and they are a little smaller and actually do a better job than the all purpose foot for serging. Weird.
Li'l Flo, if you have a serger and can buy a coverstitch, you will like it, especially if you sew with knits because there is so much stretch in the coverstitch and little or no ripple. Don't be talked out of it yet....

Betakin
star
Betakin
Advanced
AZ USA
Member since 4/22/04

In reply to Rosews13
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/12/10 0:12 AM

Rosesews, I don't know if the all purpose foot on your Pfaff is larger than the foot on my Elna being my Elna is only a 4 thread but the Pfaff 4800 series sergers use the same feet as my Elna 744 coverlock. It is so funny that you have the Elna foot and I use the Pfaff feet from the Pfaff Campaign Kit for my Elna.
The 3 feet in the kit are the blind hem foot, band/braiding foot and gathering/shirring foot. I use the blind hem foot for so much, love it..it is multi purpose. Did you use it for your flatlocking? The blind hem foot is also great for lace insertion besides invisible hems and deco stitching and accurate stitching of straight lines.

This Pfaff Overlock Campaign kit of 3 feet was a gift from a friend and the manual that came wtih the feet tells how to use each foot and the different tasks that they are used for plus..it tells which program to use for each of the Pfaff 4800 series sergers for each individual task. For instance..for the 4874 when doing deco hems with the blindhem foot..use program 06 or 05. The Elna feet are the exact same feet as in the Pfaff kit. These feet are for their coverlock models only, not for the regular Pfaff or Elna sergers but..
I used to have a Pfaff 4842 basic 4 thread not a coverlock that I loved and it could use all but one of the feet from the kit being it was also the same large head style and in the 4800 series. I gave my 4842 to my DDIL when I got my Elna. The 4842 is now in Michigan. It was a great heavy duty serger and it had that 2 speed foot control. My Elna does not have that type of foot control. That is ok..cause I always kept the controller on fast anyway.
-- Edited on 9/12/10 0:14 AM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Pfaff creative 4874

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $34.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Loes Hinse Designs 5107 Bistro Jacket
photo
Review by Tee Jay on 9/14/03
Read Review

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern
Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $13.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford
Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Details
Price: $14.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Lil-Adventurer Backpack Digital Pattern ( Size one size )
Peek-A Boo Lil-Adventurer Backpack Digital Pattern ( Size one size )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Dixie DIY Movies in the Park Shorts
Dixie DIY Movies in the Park Shorts

Details
Price: $4.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2006-25 Phoenix Top
photo
Review by brissie71 on 6/29/10
Read Review

Simplicity 2466 Pattern( Size 3-4-5-6-7-8 )
Simplicity 2466 Pattern( Size 3-4-5-6-7-8 )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew Sewing for Toddlers Book
Kwik Sew Sewing for Toddlers Book

Details
Price: $25.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN