SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Has sewing become more popular than before?? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has sewing become more popular than before??
nikarphar

nikarphar
Member since 10/28/09
Send Message

Date: 9/20/10 11:52 AM

I used to sew my clothes in 2001-2003.At that time there as only a hancock and Joann's in NC and that was the only place I found any fabric.Knits and jersey were not existent an you could only find some silky fabrics.On top of that if I ever mentioned I made my clothes people would roll their eyes at me like I was some vintage old lady practicing something nobody does these days..

Anyways I quit in 2003 as I got busy in residency etc.Fast forward to 2009 when I saw project runway and decided I was going to start sewing again.Bought a serger a new machine and have been sewing again.
I have noticed an increased number of young people at Joann's etc.more and more fabric stores online On weekends wait time can exceed 30 mins for getting fabric cut at joanns !! also the patterns had really evolved specially the designer ones beat anything you can buy at the store.

Has sewing really become more popular ? Wonder what are the reasons for that.I had read in a magazine some years ago it was "dying art" but now it seems to be really "cool" these days.
-- Edited on 9/20/10 11:53 AM --

Patricia Lewis
Patricia Lewis
Advanced Beginner
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 10/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/20/10 12:12 PM

Yes, I think, sewing and needle work have become increasingly more popular due to TV advertising. Project Runway, for one has inspired many people who have a fondness for the touch of threads and fabrics, like myself. Details in embellishing fabrics is close the hearts of many people. The other evening I was watching a TV series where upon one of the main characters said, "I am in awe of what can be created by someone that creates something detailed on a garment and make it wearable!." Classic styling can promote fabric art to be worn... Although, there is so much wearable fabric art that borders gaudy and unwearable by a conservative minded person. Creating something for the conservative minded is truly a gift, to me...

Leu
star
Leu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 1/21/10
Send Message

Date: 9/23/10 11:00 AM

I'm not really sure. I'm still so new to pattern sewing. I grew up with my mom sewing (or stashing, at least) and my perception of sewing from watching her was mostly a type of cost-saving activity. This is a bit ironic because anytime we were shopping she would say, looking at a dress or shirt, "I can sew that, Leu. It's just a basic shift." Yet I know she eventually donated most of her fabric and patterns to Goodwill when we needed to convert the basement into an extra bedroom for my brother. All that lost $$.
So, I came to sewing thinking it would help save some $$ (and keep me from bursting into tears in fitting rooms across town) but now know that pattern, fabric you like, interfacing & other notions--it doesn't save money!
Also, a friend of mine works at a discount retail mega-complex and on her 30 minute break she can find a whole outfit for under $15. It won't last forever (or even through the season) but I think we are living in a disposable society right now. What do people buy that they expect to last forever anymore? We'll upgrade our TVs and computers--possibly the most expensive purchases inside the house-- and cars are sold on what they'll fetch as a trade-in--the most expensive purchase outside the house. So, I think many of us tsk tsk at the shoddy quality of RTW but I don't think that's the general opinion.
I know I'm rambling on a bit. I guess my point is that among my circle of 30-somethings, people that live from one coast to another from various backgrounds and with various incomes, I'm the only one that sews or that has a sewing machine. I'm sure many of them would compare the time it takes to sew up a pair of pants with the ease of RTW and decide in favor of RTW, despite bad fit, which all of them have just decided is a part of being a woman--nothing fits.

Finally, every Joanne's I've been in over the last 5 years or so is more dollar bargain junk and scrap-booking than fabric. This probably tells us who is shopping there anymore. I remember going to ClothWorld with my mom! What I wouldn't give to have one of those in the neighborhood!
Leu

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to nikarphar

Date: 9/23/10 11:17 AM

I think sewing is more popular then it was in let's say the 90's. But people aren't sewing to save money not with the price of good fabrics these days. I think sewing really took a hit when women went out to work it's hard to find sewing time in between the demands of work, family etc. But at least people are sewing some and seems like a lot more men are sewing also and that's good.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 9/23/10 11:19 AM

Alabama Chanin and others are hot right now with younger folks...

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Sakura58
Sakura58  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 6/16/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 5/27/12 3:36 PM

I believe the Internet is the biggest factor. I'm 35 and my mother was never a very good sewer, although her mother did it professionally. I learned how to sew by watching online tutorials, searching boards such as this one, and books that include instruction/photos/patterns.

Sewing used to only be passed down from person to person, except it kind of skipped a generation and now the younger generation is watching shows like Project Runway perusing DIY blogs and learning that sewing is not as intimidating as once thought.

Although I know that the Internet is an easy way to become isolated, my circle of friends do not have any interest in sewing, so it is the tool I use to get inspiration, encouragement, and instruction for this art medium.

I actually do not agree with those that think the sewing boom came about due to the bad economy. You can buy several head to toe outfits at Forever 21 for less than $100, and home decorating pieces at a Marshall's or Ross that were handmade in India/China/etc. There is a sense of pride that comes with making things to wear or give, that uniqueness and quality will cost money and time. With that said....I love love love sewing!

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/27/12 4:04 PM

I think fashion design is more popular, not sewing. A number of designers make the claim that you can hire the sewing out.

Since most of us who hear that think "sewing", I think it is why it appears to be picking up, although I know from talking to my kid sister and her friends, it's not the actual act of doing so that is appealing to the younger ones. But, then some are finding that they DO enjoy it.

Talking to my 13 year old, he's the only one with a machine in a parent's house (it came up in his home ec), and one of three in one grandparent's home. My sister owns a nice (and expensive) machine, that has never even been out of the box.

maryl
star
maryl
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 6/24/05
Send Message

Date: 5/27/12 4:30 PM

I also think the easy availability of sergers and coverstitch machines now has made a huge difference. I wear knit tops almost exclusively, and with my serger and coverstitch I can made one in a couple of hours--much faster than I can find one to buy that I like and that fits me.

I also agree that the internet, with all of the info available on it (esp. PatternReview!) has made a huge difference.

I do hope sewing is making a comeback. It has been such a wonderful source of pleasure and satisfaction to me; I wish everyone could have this much fun.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to maryl <<

Date: 5/27/12 4:51 PM

This thread was started in 20l0... now we have several fashion/sewing shows on TV.. Which I think may entice a few more to try sewing.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 5/27/12 4:57 PM

Well somebody is buying all that fabric and sewing machines lol

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Has sewing become more popular than before??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Manequim Magazine 04-2012-216

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Kwik Sew 2881

photo
by: SamF

Review
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now
TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.