SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Maintaining my Bernina 930 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Maintaining my Bernina 930
MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 9/26/10 2:04 PM

I oil the bobbin case on my Bernina 930 after about every 8 hours of sewing. Is there anyting else I should be doing to keep it in good running order? My older Bernina 900 Nova had a removable top and there were places to oil inside but that doesn't seem to be true with this machine.

Bringing it to my local dealer for cleaning and tune-up is not an option. I don't trust them from past experiences.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

movac
star
movac
Intermediate
USA
Member since 1/28/06
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb

Date: 9/26/10 2:12 PM

Barb , I have the same machine, the Bernina 930, & I have been doing the same type oiling you have..
I'm hearing a new noise I haven't before, so I left a message with Deb Travis of "Quilter's Portable", in Mallard, IA..She has a website too, if you want to contact her.
I've talked to someone that took in a Singer FW, and she did a complete checkup and any lubing it needed for $25.00..That seems very reasonable..

------
Since the mind is essentially a wet computer, our task is to figure out how we can best program it.

Renee' S
Renee' S
Intermediate
Idaho USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/26/10 6:10 PM

Barb,

I've been told that a common problem on the 930s is the basting stitch mechanism freezes up. They say to use it on occasion and it should work fine.

------
Bernina 560, Pfaff 7550, Pfaff 1171, Babylock Imagine, Singer 221 & the big girl Gammill Classic

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 9/26/10 7:36 PM

I had the problem with the basting stitch. My 16 yo son fixed it for me and now I just don't use that feature anymore. I did take the name and checked out the website of Deb at The Quilter's Portable. It only showed Featherweights. Does she work on other brands of machines? I'm asking because I also found a part for my Bernina Nova and will need a repair person to install it. I would LOVE to bring my machine to a woman!

------
Barb

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/26/10 7:41 PM

just bumping for you ... there are some great SM people on this board

------
Mary

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb

Date: 9/26/10 9:43 PM

Smart 16 yo son! The best way to keep your 930's basting stitch working is to be sure to use it at least once a month. There's a group, perhaps it's the Berninathirtysomethings, that reminds members to do that. I find the basting stitch on my 930 to be so handy. My newer Berninas don't have it. My local tech once explained to me over the phone how to take off the cover of the machine to get it going if it ever freezes.

Coque
Coque
Member since 9/27/10
Send Message

Date: 9/27/10 1:14 AM

I have a 930 and am looking for a 'presser foot knee lifter'. I lost mine when I moved from one home to another. If anyone has one to sell or trade for a carrying case, please contact me at: coquessia@yahoo.com
Thanks so much!

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/11/08
Send Message

Date: 9/27/10 7:42 PM

Yes, you can take the top off, as well as the horizontal "bed" that stretches across under the needle area. I put a little drop of oil on anything that moves. The trick is, you have to stick a screw driver or something in the hole by the bobbin winder, to engage the motor. Otherwise it thinks it is winding a bobbin. I will take some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder, it's time to oil. Do you still have your manual? I could probably scan a few pages for you if you need.

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 9/27/10 9:20 PM

I do have my manual. I'm a freak about having all of the pieces. I even have a knee lift that I never use and am unwilling to sell it, how dumb.

My manual doesn't have any oiling instructions but the "oil anything that moves" is the theory I used with my 900 and that kept it out of the shop for almost 30 years. I do take off the lower bed and oil all of those moving parts.

I would love it if you'd post a photo, how nice of you!

------
Barb

Maripat
Maripat  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 10/11/08
Send Message

Date: 9/28/10 6:31 AM

I'll bet if you gave that knee lift a try you'd love it. I use mine daily. As a matter of fact, when I bought a new machine for my dry cleaner, that's the only feature I wanted that it didn't have. I really miss it when I'm working there. Crazy day today...pics might be tomorrow

------
"You are in charge of your own ride!"

LearningAlterations.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Maintaining my Bernina 930

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Buy Now
Margo Handbag

Margo Handbag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.