SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Triple Straight Stretch Stitch ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Triple Straight Stretch Stitch
Disovered another stitch for knits!
poplin
star
poplin
Advanced
Member since 5/28/06
Send Message

Date: 10/3/10 5:46 PM

For a while now, I've been recommending the lightning bolt stretch stitch for sewing seams and topstitching hems on lightweight to medium weight rayon-lycra knits.

The drawback with this stretch stitch is that not everyone has it in their sewing machine(s). It used to be in the much older Janome models (and other Janome-made sewing machines), but now Janome moved this stitch to their computerized, more expensive models. But beware: not all computerized SMs have adjustable presser foot pressure. This lightning bolt stitch does not work very well if your machine does not have adjustable presser foot pressure. I guess, one can use a walking foot, though I dislike using it when sewing with knits.

Well, I just discovered the triple straight stretch stitch on my older Kenmore 158.1947 sewing machine. I used this stitch to topstitch the hem on my daughter's PJs, and wow, it did a fine job!

I stabilized the top edge of the hem with steam-a-seam before topstitching. But I also had great success using the triple straight stretch stitch with the waist casing--just fold over the allowance, press, and sew about an 1/8" from the edge.

The stretch is amazing! The fabric you see above is a light-to-medium weight cotton-lycra knit.

I will experiment with my more lightweight rayon-lycra knits to see just how well this triple straight stretch stitch performs.

I assume that most (if not all) older Kenmore sewing machines have this stitch and also adjustable presser foot pressure. I know that all my older Kenmores do, though not sure about the vintage Kenmores. Here's a close-up of what the triple straight stretch stitch looks like on my older Kenmore.

It's the stitch on the far right.

-- Edited on 10/3/10 5:48 PM --

------
Since October 2014, I've sewn 14 yards! It's nice to see my stash decreasing at this steady pace.

Her needlework both plain and ornamental was excellent, and she might have put a sewing machine to shame. ~James Edward Austen-Leigh, about Jane Austen

RockNRoll
star
RockNRoll
Tennessee USA
Member since 3/12/10
Send Message

Date: 10/3/10 6:32 PM

that kinda looks like a flat lock seam i can do on my serger. TFS. :)

------
Go Sew Something

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 10/3/10 7:01 PM

I use this stitch on my Janome all the time (or whenever I'm annoyed with my coverstitch machine which is most of the time). It's a great stitch.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

poplin
star
poplin
Advanced
Member since 5/28/06
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman

Date: 10/3/10 7:18 PM

Quote:
whenever I'm annoyed with my coverstitch machine

I was just thinking how I can now put off buying a coverstitch machine (and feel quite good about it) having discovered this stretch stitch!

------
Since October 2014, I've sewn 14 yards! It's nice to see my stash decreasing at this steady pace.

Her needlework both plain and ornamental was excellent, and she might have put a sewing machine to shame. ~James Edward Austen-Leigh, about Jane Austen

simplystitches
simplystitches
Intermediate
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to poplin
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/10 8:14 PM

I have got to know where you found the Hello Kitty knit. WANT! WANT! WANT!

Debbie

CathyWeeks
star
CathyWeeks
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/5/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/10 9:44 PM

I can't resist: Try saying the title of this thread 3 times, fast.

------
My (mostly) green sewing blog: http://NapkinLady.blogspot.com/

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/6/10 2:35 AM

I have this stitch on two of my machines, as the other machines are vintage zigzags. What I use with those is a multi stitch zigzag in a narrow width.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to poplin

Date: 10/6/10 5:37 AM

Oh that is so neat!!! I love that stitch.
I want that fabric too!! I love that Hello Kitty! ..... Where did you get it? Fess up!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 10/7/10 1:07 AM

Thanks for posting this! I always forget about the lightning stitch... and now I'll have to look for that triple stitch, too!

And, yeah, I want the Kitty too!!!

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/7/10 6:54 AM

Just make sure everything is perfect though. Seam ripping lightning and triple knit stitches can be like H*ll on Earth.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3, Singer Model 99, Singer 221/Featherweight. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Embroidery/Sewing Combo: Brother Dream machine. Coverstitch: Babylock BLCS. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Triple Straight Stretch Stitch

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

New Look 6587

photo
by: rosiewedne...

Review
Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Buy Now
Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.