SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Do you have a Babylock Melody or Symphony ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you have a Babylock Melody or Symphony
May want to buy one
Vol
Vol
Member since 10/2/10
Send Message

Date: 10/13/10 12:30 PM

I am looking for a new machine and did not see any reviews on the Babylock Melody or the Babylock Symphony. I would like some information on how well the machines have operated and an idea concerning the price. Since I will would have to travel a couple of hours to get to the closest dealer, so I am trying to decide if considering these machines would feasible. Thanks for anything you can share.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 10/13/10 1:06 PM

I have the Babylock Espire, and it's pretty much the same machine as the Symphony. The "changes" to the Symphony include 5 more languages on the machine, and more stitches (that BL says will be made available as a download for the Espire).

So I would read the BL Espire reviews for the Symphony.

Melody I don't know anything about.

Best of all to do is go to a BL dealer, if possible, and try the machines out for yourself, as what may be fantastic to me (Babylock Espire) may not be for you.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Seams2Sew
star
Seams2Sew
USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

In reply to Vol

Date: 10/13/10 1:07 PM

The Melody and Symphony models are new so that is probably why you don't see any reviews for them. The Melody replaced the Quilters Choice model and the Symphony replaced the New Espire (BLSR) so reading reviews for those may help you. The Symphony has more stitches than the Espire and comes with more accessories, but they are essentially the same machine.

You will also probably find that the Symphony is significantly more expensive than Melody. Prices for machines also vary greatly from place to place. My local dealer is selling it for $2199.

The price for my Espire was $1899. I love my Espire. There is plenty of room. It sews smoothly. The only thing I wish it had is a color screen.

Make sure you test both machines to see which one you like best. Happy shopping and let us know what you end up purchasing.

Seams2Sew
star
Seams2Sew
USA
Member since 8/15/08
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 10/13/10 1:10 PM

Quote: LynnRowe
I have the Babylock Espire, and it's pretty much the same machine as the Symphony. The "changes" to the Symphony include 5 more languages on the machine, and more stitches (that BL says will be made available as a download for the Espire).

Lynn,

I hope Babylock does make the stitches available for the Espire. Not that I use all the stitches that I have now . . . but still
LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Seams2Sew

Date: 10/13/10 2:03 PM

Me too! I was rather annoyed when they came out with Symphony and the only "upgrades" were more stitches. It says very plainly on the Espire manual and website that the Espire will remain up to date via downloads. I was able to speak with a BL rep, who assured me that it would happen. Like you, I don't use all I already have, but still!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

IDcam
IDcam
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 5/13/09
Send Message

Date: 10/13/10 2:40 PM

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to let you know that I was lucky enough to see an Espire sitting right next to the new Symphony. They improved the lighting on the Symphony. Both the lighting over the needle and bed are brighter. And the back-light for the touchscreen is also brighter. The Symphony comes with the circular sewing attachment bundle and specialty bobbin case, but does not have the extra spool stand that was included with the Espire. I thought I read somewhere here on PR that Baby Lock is not going to offer an upgrade for the Espire for these changes.

ETC: Information about extra spool stand. It is NOT included with the Symphony.

-- Edited on 10/15/10 8:19 PM --

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 10/13/10 2:49 PM

I have the Brother QC-1000 and there are several stitches to download at the Brother site. They've been the same ones for a year, though. One of the stitches is shown in the feature about the bobbin work accessory:

Flower stitch

I just got my Bobbin Work Kit from eBay yesterday! It will work on all the higher end models, including my little LB6770PRW combo! The Circular Attachment is also available.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to IDcam

Date: 10/13/10 2:53 PM

Quote: IDcam
And the back-light for the touchscreen is also brighter.

You can adjust the brightness of your screen on the Espire...wonder if they had it adjusted to be brighter on the Symphony? They are probably now using the same lighting that was put on the new Evolution and Enlighten sergers.
IDcam
IDcam
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 5/13/09
Send Message

In reply to karen149

Date: 10/13/10 3:45 PM

Not sure, Karen. The lighting over the bed was noticeably brighter. The dealer was who told me that the back-light is now brighter/more vivid than the Espire. But hey, you can't always trust what dealers say now can ya. I didn't think to make sure both screens were at their brightest setting.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to Vol <<

Date: 11/17/12 9:52 AM

Hi. I am trying to decide between these 2 machines now and was wondering if you made a decision. I am lucky enough to have a dealer nearby and will be testing them but would welcome others' thoughts

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Do you have a Babylock Melody or Symphony

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 119566-1000

photo
by: GayMcDonel...

Review
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

Buy Now
Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.