SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > I did it....I bought the Kenmore 1914 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I did it....I bought the Kenmore 1914
Took the plunge...LOL!
1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/14/10 1:22 PM

I initially passed on buying a Kenmore 1914 recently for $100 with all the accessories and manual. It was pretty much mint. Then I happened upon an old sewing machine store/service center (i posted about this in "sewing machine heaven") and they had a 1914, but it didn't have a pedal and no accessories. It worked though. When I saw it I thought, dang....that is a one nice machine. But I really wanted as next to new as I could find. So I contacted the buyer from CL again and it was still available. I pick it up in a few hours....can't wait.

None of the accessories were ever used. He said his dad bought this for his mom new in the 70's and she wasn't much of a sewer. She just did simple mending projects. The monogrammer and the buttonholer aren't even out of the plastic and the manual was barely cracked open. So I think I'm getting a good deal.

One question for you owners of this machine....I'm pretty much buying this unseen and untested. i already paid for it. The guy selling it did test to make sure the motor was okay, the reverse worked and the pattern selector did as well. My question is not so much reliability, but is there anything that goes wrong on this machine that I couldn't fix myself?
-- Edited on 10/14/10 1:25 PM --
-- Edited on 10/14/10 1:26 PM --

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

cherylwashere
star
cherylwashere  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CT USA
Member since 4/10/04
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby

Date: 10/14/10 1:56 PM

I won a 1914 off of ebay and it was listed in good working condition. It arrived badly damaged and I was issued a complete refund. How it could be in good working condition amazed me, it didn't have a power switch. My initial thought was to donate it to GW maybe someone would want it for parts. Then I felt the need to save this poor thing. Intrigued and knowing this is a must have sm with it's powerful motor, beautiful stitching and a 3/4" size monogramming, it made sense to rescue it.

I checked on ebay for a power switch, found one. Seller guided me with the installation of the part. I have never done any type of electrical so this was a challenge for me. Installed it, plugged it in, turned it on and it works. So, if I can do repairs to my 1914, I'm sure you can to. I also needed to replace the flip top lid, that was smashed and pieces broken off. And also replaced the hinged light compartment cover, also damaged. Right now it is sewing kinda wonky, so I need to spend time with cleaning it's inners and oiling and lubricating it and hopefully it will be a good machine to have. Don't fret, mechanicals are easy to work on,

Congratulations, I'm sure you will love your 1914.

------
Bernina 820, Bernina 330, Pfaff Creative 7530, Janome 1600P

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to cherylwashere

Date: 10/14/10 3:36 PM

I have three words for what I just picked up.....MINT MINT MINT! The entire machine is unbelievable...not a scratch and the manual doesn't have a crease or a tear. None of the accessories look used and it is in the best shape I've ever seen on a sewing machine. Glad I didn't pass this up! Can't wait to start using it tonight....reading the manual at my desk at work right now.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Bert62
Bert62  Friend of PR
Beginner
IN USA
Member since 12/3/09
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby

Date: 10/14/10 4:53 PM

Devil ! I want that machine ! Bert

chicaem29
star
chicaem29  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 3/4/09
Send Message

Date: 10/14/10 5:14 PM

I knew Bert would have his panties all up in a bunch over this.

Congrats on your machine. You've really lucked out this week haven't you?!

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to chicaem29

Date: 10/14/10 6:20 PM

I did too....i almost didn't want to post, but I was too excited not to. Sorry, Bert!

Yeah, I really lucked out....I still cannot believe the condition of this machine. Everything is seriously mint! I couldn't help myself and I brought the machine up to my office, shut the door, closed the blinds and started checking it out. EVERYTHING is there, from the feet, to the monogrammer instructions, even the monogram foot. The plastic feet are CLEAR and not yellowed like some I've seen. The instruction manual doesn't have a crease or tear whatsoever and even the cams are in their original order. The motor is so quiet....quieter than both my 1813's (one of which I think I'm going to sell). I can see how this could easily become my main portable. It was worth every single cent I paid for it, which was $100.

The guy wasn't kidding..his mom really didn't use this that much at all.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Bert62
Bert62  Friend of PR
Beginner
IN USA
Member since 12/3/09
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby

Date: 10/14/10 8:14 PM

I will find you. Three days from Indiana. I will find you. You, rascal you ! Bert

cherylwashere
star
cherylwashere  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CT USA
Member since 4/10/04
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby

Date: 10/14/10 8:49 PM

MINT, MINT, MINT, doesn't sound like you will be getting your hands dirty with cleaning and fixing it. ENJOY !!!

------
Bernina 820, Bernina 330, Pfaff Creative 7530, Janome 1600P

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to Bert62

Date: 10/14/10 9:14 PM

LOLOLOL.....I'll be putting my 1914 on lockdown somewhere!

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Bert62
Bert62  Friend of PR
Beginner
IN USA
Member since 12/3/09
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby

Date: 10/15/10 9:01 AM

I could be in Missouri by now. Unfortunately, I have to stay home. Your safe for now Jumby.
There's one for sale in Chicago for $ 200.00. Too much and too long of a drive. One will show up one day. Hoping you're enjoying yours. Bert

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> I did it....I bought the Kenmore 1914

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Marfy 2204

photo
by: clothingen...

Review
McCall's 6382

photo
by: Eme

Review
Fit For Real People DVD

Fit For Real People DVD

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.