SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Rowenta irons ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Rowenta irons
Anybody else had bad luck?
Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 10/27/10 10:44 PM

I have had nothing but bad luck with Rowenta irons lately. The last two cost me $100 each and are the "Professional" model which does not have auto shutoff, which is what I need. This one started spitting and now is leaking and the steam is intermittent. I use the water that is recommended. I hate this thing. I wish I could get a $19 Black and Decker as long as my irons seem to be disposable lateey, but everything has auto shutoff.

What do you like that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I do not want anything over $100.

AliceM
star
AliceM
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/30/05
Send Message

Date: 10/27/10 10:51 PM

This is a little over $100, but I absolutely love my Consew gravity feed iron. Water bottle hangs from the ceiling and can go a long time without needing refilled. It is nice and heavy and has good steam. I got mine from allbrands about 4 years ago and have not had a single problem. all of this was after getting rid of an expensive Rowenta that I hated.

chicaem29
star
chicaem29  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 3/4/09
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 10/27/10 10:51 PM

Check out the thread here about the Reliable V50 and V100 - with a 50% off coupon from Joann you can get them for a great price.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

Date: 10/27/10 11:28 PM

I have a Professional Rowenta iron and it did the same thing. I found out if you turn the steam down to the lowest steam it doesn't sputter. Then i give it a extra burst of steam when i need it. I also ordered the reliable v100 from joanns on line. It costed me 91. I'm going to give this one a try. The reason I bought it is you can by pass the auto shut off.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 10/28/10 1:48 AM

I have just spent an hour on this site reading about every type of ironing system imaginable. Lots to digest. Part of me wants to try thr Consew gravity and the other part just wants a simple "regular" iron. The Reliable v100 looks great, especially for the money from Joann's. I didn't know they let you use coupons on irons. That's a great deal. I'm going to read some more. Thanks for responding and getting me started on my quest.

I feel so silly....I would say "stupid," but I've been trained as a Grammi of little ones, to use the former instead of the latter. I just discovered a whole thread on the Reliable irons just a couple of weeks ago and I didn't see it. I think I'll get the v100. Thanks.
-- Edited on 10/28/10 2:12 AM --

GlobalMom
starstar
GlobalMom  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 3/11/09
Send Message

Date: 10/28/10 2:09 AM

I've been using Rowenta for years, but had a problem this year with a new Rowenta ( I paid over $110 for it and it was less than 6 months old when it stopped working properly). I contacted the company, who gave me the address in Arkansas to send my iron in for evaluation. Shipping cost me $11, but instead of fixing my iron, they sent me a brand new one which was even nicer than the original, and it survived a summer of heavy sewing. I still prefer Rowenta... And I saved myself another $100 by sending it back to them rather than just purchase something else.

------
Debora, of Chicago and Frankfurt
www.deboraland.com

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

In reply to GlobalMom

Date: 10/28/10 12:14 PM

Mine is not under warranty anymore. I've had it a couple of years and have had some problems for the last year with the leaking being just recently. At this point I'm not sure I'd even want to invest $11 in it. The last Rowenta Pro I had was very specific about the water to put in it, but this one said nothing in the manual about water, so I used distilled. The water doesn't leak out the holes on the bottom but out of the sides where the soleplate attaches. Weird. Glad Rowenta was so good to you. I'll be curious to see how they respond to my email.

GlobalMom
starstar
GlobalMom  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 3/11/09
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13

Date: 10/28/10 1:31 PM

If you didn't know it, Rowenta now specifically recommends to use TAP water for their irons. They made a big deal about this when I called them the first time. I had been using filtered water (I live in a building where we have a lot of pipe scale come through the tap), and they said that their irons are designed to handle the minerals in tap water and without them (like filtered or Distilled water) you can have problems. Since I got the new one, I have only used tap water and so far so good. I'm sorry that your iron didn't say anything about it in the manual. I hadn't read the manual with the iron which died - I just plugged it in and started ironing. Live and learn.... I didn't think I would need instructions in how to use an iron.

Good luck to you with them.....

------
Debora, of Chicago and Frankfurt
www.deboraland.com

edot
star
edot
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 1/9/06
Send Message

Date: 10/28/10 2:01 PM

I can echo growly feelings about rowenta irons: I just lost my second steam advancer in as many years. I was pressing some wool (steam and medium heat) and all of a sudden, the temp started to crazy increase and I smelled a weird plastic-y burning smell. I unplugged the thing to give it a rest, but it was too late--gone. I always used tap water and followed the instructions precisely, but I'm not bothering with rowentas ANY MORE. I got a Reliable V100 with a 50% off coupon (thx, joann's) and it's very nice so far though I've only been using it a week. I did think about making the gravity feed plunge, but I chickened out at the last minute. Maybe next time I need an iron :)

------
"You have a better life if you wear impressive clothes." -Vivienne Westwood

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

Date: 10/28/10 2:09 PM

I purchased a Rowenta Professional for sewers, no auto shut off, from Allbrands a few months ago and so far have been okay with it. I had one some years ago and loved it. This one doesn't seem to have the steam power of my previous one so I just the steam burst for extra steam if I need it. I paid $99 for it so I'll keep it for now. One thing about the water situation - if you have a water softener don't use that water in the iron, use distilled or spring water. My daughter did that and her iron died on her in no time - salt build up. I have a Brita filter water pitcher and use the water from that and so far, so good.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Rowenta irons

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

McCall's 5818

photo
by: prosthetic...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Dress Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 2871

photo
by: arianamani...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.