SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > fabric shopping in paris ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
fabric shopping in paris
milt715
milt715
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/9/08
Send Message

Date: 10/31/10 12:22 PM

has anyone had any luck shopping for fabric in paris, france?
I'm leaving soon and was wondering if i need to look into finding shops....

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to milt715

Date: 10/31/10 4:51 PM

Lots of us have had fun fabric shopping in Paris, and have posted about it here.

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

Date: 11/1/10 5:39 PM

I was just in Paris at the end of June and did a comprehensive Paris fabric shopping post on FehrTrade.com. Though to be fair, there's a lot of non-sewing recommendations in there, too! :)

We're hoping to be able to squeeze in a pre-Christmas trip to visit our friends again, too.

------
www.fehrtrade.com

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to squirrellypoo

Date: 11/1/10 8:25 PM

Oh, you like Parfums Fragonard, too! They have marvelous, marvelous things.
-- Edited on 11/1/10 8:31 PM --

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 11/2/10 2:04 PM

Quote: Elona
Oh, you like Parfums Fragonard, too! They have marvelous, marvelous things.
-- Edited on 11/1/10 8:31 PM --

I loooooove Fragonard! I think I've got something like 5 or 6 bottles of theirs now (the majority of my perfume collection!). When I was there this summer, I bought so much they gave me a free tote bag that I now keep rolled up in my handbag. Very chic. (And I was buying early Christmas presents, it wasn't all for me!)

I really like their body wash, too. A bit pricey, but not any more so than places like L'Occitaine or Body Shop really.

------
www.fehrtrade.com

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to squirrellypoo

Date: 11/2/10 7:27 PM

I've been to a couple of their stores in various towns, including the Mother Ship in Grasse, and why it is I don't know, but the personnel are always incredibly friendly, which makes the visit even nicer.

RoseFromThule
star
RoseFromThule
Advanced Beginner
FRANCE
Member since 3/3/10
Send Message

Date: 11/3/10 8:16 AM

There is also :
- Lil Weasel, 1 passage du Grand Cerf (metro Réaumur-Sébastopol, Sentier or Etienne-Marcel) : yarns, fabrics, patterns - I've never been there myself (will go in a couple of days), but it seems a delightful little shop.
- Fil2000, 65 rue Réaumur (metro Réaumur-Sébastopol) : for regular notions
- Hamon, 54 rue de Cléry (metro Sentier) : for specific sewing tools. I plan to buy my extralarge cutting mat there !
Actually, the district is called "The sentier" and it's a "garment" district. There are no fabric stores, though. These ones you'll find in Montmartre, around the Place Saint-Pierre (browse around).

For very cheap fabric, you can go to Stop Tissus (62 bd de Belleville, metro Couronnes). Everything is at 1 or 2 euros / meter. But I've never been there myself (when I go to Paris, I look for special fabric !) so I'm not sure of the quality. Many Parisian bloggers seems to find treasures there, though.

Enjoy your trip !

------
Meet me at : prettycrocodile.blogspot.com

Sanibelle
star
Sanibelle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
GERMANY
Member since 5/27/03
Send Message

Date: 11/3/10 11:23 AM

Rose, thanks for the Lil Weasel address! I just looked at their blog and it sounds like a really nice place.

There are fabric stores in the Sentier area. I visited a few a few months ago, but I can't think of any that would be a must-see.

The prices are very cheap at Stop Tissus, but I don't think the fabric selection would be too interesting to someone who doesn't live locally, i.e., to someone with limited time in the city and limited space in her suitcase. (On my last trip, last week, prime space in my suitcase was dedicated to a beautiful 3 kg bag of Valrhona chocolate. )

Milt715, do check out the many excellent reviews here. The store review section is one of my favorite areas of PR. I've found so many useful tips there.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sanibelle

Date: 11/3/10 3:39 PM

Lil Weasel (wherever did they get that name?) looks like a place you could have way too much fun!

On the advice of a Parisian cousin (who does not sew) I visited a Stop Tissus, and found it really not worthwhile, but I suppose if you were dedicated to rummaging around at length on the chance of scoring something both good and cheap, it could happen.

-- Edited on 11/3/10 3:39 PM --

Sanibelle
star
Sanibelle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
GERMANY
Member since 5/27/03
Send Message

In reply to Elona

Date: 11/3/10 5:20 PM

If I lived there, I could imagine myself doing that! But I don't think it's worth the time of someone just visiting. I didn't see anything that would've merited carrying back home. That linen knit you picked up at Reine, though, sure would have....

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> fabric shopping in paris

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

McCall's 5548

photo
by: Sixtiesgir...

Review
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Buy Now
Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.