Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt
pre-shrink or not the other fabrics??
bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
GA
Member since 6/6/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 11/20/10 10:18 AM

Hi y'all. I know that I am NOT supposed to pre-wash charm squares or any other pre-cut squares/strips.

However, my question lies with the rest of the fabric for the quilt such as the sashing, other squares I might use from my own stash (and I'll note that everything in my stash is already pre-washed), the binding, and fabrics for the back of quilt.

Since the charm squares do NOT get pre-washed, should I not pre-wash anything else???

I'm concerned that if I pre-wash everything for the quilt (except the charm squares) that the quilt might wash up/shrink up in a not nice way. I'm primarily a garment sewer, so I'm used to pre-washing everything!

Any advice would be much appreciated as to how I should treat the other fabrics (not the charm squares) for my quilt.

Thanks in advance!

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

clio59
clio59
Intermediate
SOUTH AFRICA
Member since 10/6/10

Date: 11/20/10 10:25 AM

This is a question I've been wondering about too, so I'm looking forward to the advice you get. I always like to pre-wash my fabrics very thoroughly before cutting, so I've always avoided pre-cut fabrics, eventhough I really like many of them.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 2/5/06

Date: 11/20/10 11:40 AM

I don't ever prewash anything (not for quilts) but I do starch all my fabrics before even thinking about cutting them.

If you starch all your little blocks, they'll have about the same shrinkage factor as your washed fabrics do. You can starch those as well.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
GA
Member since 6/6/10

In reply to CJ Tinkle

Date: 11/20/10 1:08 PM

Thanks for your comment. I've never (gasp!) used starch before at all! Can you tell me a little bit more about it and what its purpose is? Also, I'm quite sensitive to fragrances so I'm wondering if starch comes scent-free? Do you have a favorite brand to recommend?

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
IA USA
Member since 9/9/07

Date: 11/20/10 9:17 PM

I never prewash quilting fabric, because when I do the quilting I like the vintage "wrinkly" look.

I think if you tie instead of quilt, you probably need to prewash- because the shrinkage won't work as well in your favor, when I quilt, I try to not let my quilt lines get more than 2 inches apart.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07

In reply to bookwormbethie

Date: 11/20/10 9:45 PM

Pre-washing is a subjective topic. There may be half of us who wash and others who don't. If I am worried a top will bleed I will use Synthapol as a wash addative to remove excess dye. If I am sewing with very rich reds or dark greens - colors which tend to bleed regardless, I will prewash those fabrics with Synthrapol. It essentially is a detergent which attracts excess dye and keeps it from being reabsorbed in to the fabric.
I did an applique with very rich and deep colors and prewashed the blocks before sewing them into make the top. I hand washed and line dried them. I spray starched pressed the blocks and they never appeared to have been washed at all.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

gymcats

gymcats
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 3/13/05

Date: 11/20/10 11:10 PM

I'd be consistent for an entire quilt. If I wash some fabric in a quilt, then I'd wash the others also. I have prewashed charm squares for a quilt because I'm using white back ground and I didn't want the bright red charm squares to bleed, though probably I'll have to trim them later. But if the shapes are already cut as often in a kit, I wouldn't prewash. I've heard that some use color catcher for unwashed finished quilt. If you don't prewash at all, I'd suggest at least rub the fabrics with wet cotton swab to test their colorfastness.

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/29/03

Date: 2/14/12 3:13 PM

I'm bringing this back up to the top because:

I just bought some charm squares to make into patchwork dresses for my grand daughter. I'm afraid of shrinkage so I really want to pre-wash them. I usually pre-treat my fabric in a hot water wash and a hot dryer to save from later surprises and accidents. I have a front load washer and dryer.

The edges are pinked. What do you think will happen if I wash them?

------
~

Debby

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06

In reply to DebbyS

Date: 2/14/12 7:56 PM

Quote: DebbyS
I'm bringing this back up to the top because:

I just bought some charm squares to make into patchwork dresses for my grand daughter. I'm afraid of shrinkage so I really want to pre-wash them. I usually pre-treat my fabric in a hot water wash and a hot dryer to save from later surprises and accidents. I have a front load washer and dryer.

The edges are pinked. What do you think will happen if I wash them?

Put them in a lingerie bag and wash and dry as usual.

When you take the out you will have to flatten them- and they will be good to go!

Yes, I did pre-wash my charm pack because ALL the other fabric was pre-washed. I used my hands to uncurl and unfurl snd flatten and without even pressing them yet they are laying flat in a stack. The lingere bag kept them from fraying.

------
Cathryn

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/29/03

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 2/14/12 10:46 PM

Thanks!

------
~

Debby

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Kwik Sew 3292 Misses Jackets
photo
Review by Frozzy on 12/8/07
Read Review

Salme Pleat Front Sleeveless Dress Digital Pattern
Salme Pleat Front Sleeveless Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Bedtime Story Pajamas Digital Pattern (Size 6M-3T)
Oliver + S Bedtime Story Pajamas Digital Pattern (Size 6M-3T)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

brerrabbit.com The Wiggle Dress
photo
Review by ZoSews on 5/27/13
Read Review

Petite Plus 102 Pattern
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5946 Pattern ( Size 6-7-8 )
Butterick 5946 Pattern ( Size 6-7-8 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3922 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3922 Pattern

Details
Price: $10.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN