SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt
pre-shrink or not the other fabrics??
bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/10
Send Message

Date: 11/20/10 10:18 AM

Hi y'all. I know that I am NOT supposed to pre-wash charm squares or any other pre-cut squares/strips.

However, my question lies with the rest of the fabric for the quilt such as the sashing, other squares I might use from my own stash (and I'll note that everything in my stash is already pre-washed), the binding, and fabrics for the back of quilt.

Since the charm squares do NOT get pre-washed, should I not pre-wash anything else???

I'm concerned that if I pre-wash everything for the quilt (except the charm squares) that the quilt might wash up/shrink up in a not nice way. I'm primarily a garment sewer, so I'm used to pre-washing everything!

Any advice would be much appreciated as to how I should treat the other fabrics (not the charm squares) for my quilt.

Thanks in advance!

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

clio59
clio59
Intermediate
SOUTH AFRICA
Member since 10/6/10
Send Message

Date: 11/20/10 10:25 AM

This is a question I've been wondering about too, so I'm looking forward to the advice you get. I always like to pre-wash my fabrics very thoroughly before cutting, so I've always avoided pre-cut fabrics, eventhough I really like many of them.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 11/20/10 11:40 AM

I don't ever prewash anything (not for quilts) but I do starch all my fabrics before even thinking about cutting them.

If you starch all your little blocks, they'll have about the same shrinkage factor as your washed fabrics do. You can starch those as well.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

bookwormbethie
bookwormbethie
Intermediate
Member since 6/6/10
Send Message

In reply to CJ Tinkle

Date: 11/20/10 1:08 PM

Thanks for your comment. I've never (gasp!) used starch before at all! Can you tell me a little bit more about it and what its purpose is? Also, I'm quite sensitive to fragrances so I'm wondering if starch comes scent-free? Do you have a favorite brand to recommend?

------
www.bookwormbethie.wordpress.com
www.flickr.com/photos/bookwormbethie

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 11/20/10 9:17 PM

I never prewash quilting fabric, because when I do the quilting I like the vintage "wrinkly" look.

I think if you tie instead of quilt, you probably need to prewash- because the shrinkage won't work as well in your favor, when I quilt, I try to not let my quilt lines get more than 2 inches apart.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to bookwormbethie

Date: 11/20/10 9:45 PM

Pre-washing is a subjective topic. There may be half of us who wash and others who don't. If I am worried a top will bleed I will use Synthapol as a wash addative to remove excess dye. If I am sewing with very rich reds or dark greens - colors which tend to bleed regardless, I will prewash those fabrics with Synthrapol. It essentially is a detergent which attracts excess dye and keeps it from being reabsorbed in to the fabric.
I did an applique with very rich and deep colors and prewashed the blocks before sewing them into make the top. I hand washed and line dried them. I spray starched pressed the blocks and they never appeared to have been washed at all.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

gymcats

gymcats
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 3/13/05
Send Message

Date: 11/20/10 11:10 PM

I'd be consistent for an entire quilt. If I wash some fabric in a quilt, then I'd wash the others also. I have prewashed charm squares for a quilt because I'm using white back ground and I didn't want the bright red charm squares to bleed, though probably I'll have to trim them later. But if the shapes are already cut as often in a kit, I wouldn't prewash. I've heard that some use color catcher for unwashed finished quilt. If you don't prewash at all, I'd suggest at least rub the fabrics with wet cotton swab to test their colorfastness.

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 7/29/03
Send Message

Date: 2/14/12 3:13 PM

I'm bringing this back up to the top because:

I just bought some charm squares to make into patchwork dresses for my grand daughter. I'm afraid of shrinkage so I really want to pre-wash them. I usually pre-treat my fabric in a hot water wash and a hot dryer to save from later surprises and accidents. I have a front load washer and dryer.

The edges are pinked. What do you think will happen if I wash them?

------
~

Debby

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to DebbyS

Date: 2/14/12 7:56 PM

Quote: DebbyS
I'm bringing this back up to the top because:

I just bought some charm squares to make into patchwork dresses for my grand daughter. I'm afraid of shrinkage so I really want to pre-wash them. I usually pre-treat my fabric in a hot water wash and a hot dryer to save from later surprises and accidents. I have a front load washer and dryer.

The edges are pinked. What do you think will happen if I wash them?

Put them in a lingerie bag and wash and dry as usual.

When you take the out you will have to flatten them- and they will be good to go!

Yes, I did pre-wash my charm pack because ALL the other fabric was pre-washed. I used my hands to uncurl and unfurl snd flatten and without even pressing them yet they are laying flat in a stack. The lingere bag kept them from fraying.

------
Cathryn

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 7/29/03
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull

Date: 2/14/12 10:46 PM

Thanks!

------
~

Debby

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> pre-cut charm squares & other fabrics for a quilt

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Simplicity 1824

photo
by: LBT4539

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

More Info
Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

More Info
Kwik Sew 3731

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review

Pattern

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.