SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Charity Sewing ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Charity Sewing
Pillowcae Dresses
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/8/10 5:19 PM

Anyone sewing "Little Dresses for Africa" & "Little Britches?"
I see Nancy's Notions sends them on to the orphanages.
See photos online at the official site.

Made a bunch for a craft sale here which didn't sell in this economy, now I'd like to send them, and more, to a specific orphanage (my awesome GD is from Ethiopia) but they have to
go thru an org. to get there safely.

Let me know your experiences, no one else in my neighborhood sews!

-- Edited on 12/8/10 5:20 PM --

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 12/8/10 8:25 PM

I have not made any yet, but I am hoping to get started on some this winter. I have a large quantity of chintz that I no longer need and it occurred to me that I could use it to make a lot of dresses. While it might not be the first choice for dresses (large floral), it should be comfortable and cool. I've also been picking up fabric and elastic at the thrift store for the britches ;-).

fiddlinglizzie
star
fiddlinglizzie
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to Invisigal

Date: 12/9/10 7:02 AM

What a lovely idea. When I was a kidlet, my grandmother made all the grandchildren dresses out of curtains. It was even before the Sound of Music version of redecoration into play clothes. Anyway, Minnesota summers can have some hellishly hot days, and to be honest, those chintz dresses were wonderful in the heat.

Oh, and if you're wondering, all the grandchildren were girls, so no boys were wearing dresses in the 60s. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

fiddlinglizzie
star
fiddlinglizzie
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 12/9/10 7:05 AM

I'm in for this too. I bought some lovely fabrics at huge discount, and will me making up some dresses, but for larger girls. I just can't get the proportions right for little girls. I've got several patterns that will work for sundresses for those 5'5" and up, as I've worn them. They are as simple as can be, and I'll post full directions when I finish the transposition from pattern to general measured amounts of fabric.

That will be after I finish coats for mother and sister. YIKES!

Invisigal
Invisigal
Intermediate
Member since 11/7/09
Send Message

In reply to fiddlinglizzie

Date: 12/9/10 8:15 AM

What a wonderful memory. Now, whenever you watch Sound of Music, you can say, my grandmother did that!

Funny thing is, I had agonized over this large amount of chintz fabric -- no telling how many yards it is -- and almost took it to the thrift store, until I heard of Little Dresses for Africa.

No, I hadn't even imagined little boys wearing chintz .

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 12/9/10 8:15 AM

This is a very worthwhile project, but I was concerned about the fact that most of the pictures showed long sleeves under the dresses...I haven't checked out the alternative patterns yet, but maybe sewing a selection of tshirts to go underneath the dresses might be wanted also, as well as the boys shorts.

While I was at the NN site, I found another project that interested me...sewing school uniforms for children in Haiti. I emailed the contact person, but have not heard back as yet. I do hope that they are still operational, as elsewhere, a founder said that she was leaving the program.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Therisa
starstar
Therisa
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 4/1/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b

Date: 12/9/10 8:54 AM

The SouthEast Michigan group sewed a lot of these in August/September. I expect to be making a lot in January for the fabric stash contest....

To save time when making these, we cut several layers at once, and then serged as many of the seams as possible.

Do you think that the dresses can be constructed of a rugby knit? I bought a LOT of this in May and think about using some for charity.

------
Fabric Purchased in 2011: 37 yards
Fabric Sewn in 2011: 0 yards
Current Contest Moderator: Lined Jacket
Current Contest Participant: Mini Wardrobe

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Therisa

Date: 12/10/10 7:50 AM

The knits would be great for the boys' "britches."

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 12/10/10 8:04 AM

I have that NN pattern on my refrigerator. Teresa, if the SEMichigan group does this project again, I would like to help.

These are perfect when your sewing mojo is gone. I was doing that with child size quilts (donating when I accumulated a pile) but am ready for a different project.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/10/10 8:04 AM

Update:

The founder of Little Dresses for Africa contacted me with useful info.
They will send boxes of dresses to any Mission group traveling to Africa, SA, Central America, etc. She said she has thousands, so now the push is for delivery. This is the safe way to get items to specific villages and agencies, as mailing is unreliable and expensive.

I have referred her to the Gladney Foundation in Texas, the agency that handled my GD's adoption. When parents travel to pick up their adoptive child, they take as many suitcases of supplies as possible from the US.

If you work with any Mission groups, doctors, etc. contact Little Dresses online for a donation request form. Also see darling photos at www.littledressesforafrica.org.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Charity Sewing

Merchants on PR

So Vintage Patterns

Thank You for Joining!
Deals!

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-108B

photo
by: Donna Like...

Review
Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Zip Away Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Zip Away Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.