Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing for Petite Sizes > What happened to junior sizes? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What happened to junior sizes?
Sewing for tweeners
GailFriday
GailFriday
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 3/24/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 12/24/10 9:38 AM

Hi--

I don't normally post to anything anywhere, but I'm getting a little desperate. I'm having a tough time dressing my tweener. The size 6 bust measurement on women's patterns is very close to her chest measurement, but--of course--she hasn't exactly got a 'bust.'

I have the experience and the willingness to make some alterations to a women's pattern, but I'm just not sure it's the most efficient use of my time. I'm really wishing the pattern companies still made junior sizes. (They have stopped, right? Or am I blind?)

My goal is for her to be dressed in a modest, dignified and feminine manner, so the typical garments for children her age won't work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!--G

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 5/19/06

Date: 12/24/10 10:22 AM

Simplicity and New Look both have a few junior size patterns. They don't make it easy to find them, such as making a junior category or anything. I got on the Simplicity website and put
Junior in the search box. I got 22 patterns, but all but 3 New Look patterns are out or print. I found 3 on McCall's, also OOP, unfortunately. You can still order them (full price of course) from the websites.
HTH

ETA: Do the larger girl's sizes not work? The measurements of misses' size 6 are 30 1/2-23-32 with back waist length 15 1/2. A girl's size 12 is 30-25 1/5-32, BWL 13 1/2. Seems like lengthening a girl's pattern would be less work that altering a misses' pattern with a small bust adjustment (I assume that is what you meant by altering the women's patterns). Just a thought.
-- Edited on 12/24/10 10:32 AM --

ETA: I forgot about the young fashion burda patterns. If you look on PR's shop patterns, you can search for burda as the company and junior as the category. My link didn't work to get you there directly.
-- Edited on 12/24/10 10:53 AM --

------
Fictionfan

Trinity.
starstar
Trinity.
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 10/9/05

Date: 12/24/10 10:27 AM

Take a look at what Jalie has to offer. Their patterns range in size from 2 to 22 and I've found their drafting to be quite good for all the sizes I've used.

------
Trinity

http://thimblesthreadsandneedles.blogspot.com/

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 5/19/06

Date: 12/24/10 10:43 AM

I agree with TrinityT that jalie would cover the sizing. Nearly all the patterns for tops call for 2-way or 4-way stretch fabrics. I think activewear when I think jalie, not modest, everyday wear. However, if you look at the reviews for the jalie patterns, you will see plenty of modest tops sewn by many different shapes, and the pants/jeans patterns are popular with PR members. If you haven't used a jalie pattern, be prepared to go cross-eyed tracing the right lines. That's another reason jalie patterns don't immediately come to my mind. Oh, and the sleeves tend to be skinny compared to the big 4 sizing, which may be exactly what you want for your tween.

------
Fictionfan

Choco Pie
star
Choco Pie
Advanced Beginner
SOUTH KOREA
Member since 10/4/10

Date: 12/24/10 10:56 AM

With Butterick, McCall's, etc., the larger girls' sizes are essentially juniors, aren't they? Some of the models used on the pattern illustrations are young teens. If you check the Butterick and McCall's sites, they have size charts for all their different categories, including Misses, Petites, Juniors, etc. They describe Juniors as "the young miss figure, about 5'2" to 5'5" in height."

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to GailFriday

Date: 12/24/10 11:38 AM

There are many items in that size range in Burda envelope patterns. You just have to sort through the larger sizes in the Burda Kids patterns and also (especially) check the
Burda Young Fashion patterns. There's no website in English anymore, but the patterns are still available in stores. You'll have to do some conversion from metric to U.S. sizes to figure out which size to use. Here are the Burda size charts so you can check.

P.S. Once you figure out what metric size you need, you can search for patterns in that size by using the drop-down menu marked "taille" (size -- i.e. sort results by size).

-- Edited on 12/24/10 12:00 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

poplin
star
poplin
Advanced
WA USA
Member since 5/28/06

In reply to GailFriday

Date: 1/14/11 8:27 PM

Quote: GailFriday
The size 6 bust measurement on women's patterns is very close to her chest measurement, but--of course--she hasn't exactly got a 'bust.'

My goal is for her to be dressed in a modest, dignified and feminine manner, so the typical garments for children her age won't work.

Check out Japanese patterns for modest and feminine styles.

I will venture to say that if she can fit a size 6 on women's patterns with a small bust adjustment, then she will fit the extra small, small and medium sized patterns from Japanese pattern books. The patterns in these books are full-scale patterns--there's no drafting necessary. Like Burda magazine patterns, all full-scale patterns are to be traced. You will need to refer to the illustrations (or directions) to see if you need to add SAS or not.

There are a few pattern books that require you to draft their simple patterns. Most of these patterns are very, very simple to draft and very, very easy to sew. Think of straight, straight, straight drafting and sewing. For example, More Straight Stitch Dresses.

No doubt, they are pricey, but there are several patterns per book.

All text is written in Japanese. In my experience, I've never needed translation of these books. However, I am not a beginner in garment sewing and pattern drafting. I can figure things out on my own.

But if you get stuck, there's plenty here in PR who can help you move along.

Check out superbuzzy, an online store now in CA. It has several of these Japanese pattern books.

I recommend the following books for you.

Adult Couture: One Piece & Smock Blouses

One Piece usually refers to dresses.

Adult Skirts

Feminine Wardrobe

Lalala2: Sew Knits for Her

Machiko Kayaki's Simple Style Dress

Stylish Dress Book: Blouse & One Piece

Stylish Dress Book

Drape Drape

Need to see more? I highly recommend Simply Pretty on eBay.

She Has a Manish Style

Overlock Sewing Machine Everyday Clothes

My frame is small, slim and petite. For Japanese patterns, I usually fit an extra small, small or medium, depending on the pattern's size chart. I never had to adjust for a small bust.

------
Dec 2012: 2 yards

Her needlework both plain and ornamental was excellent, and she might have put a sewing machine to shame. ~James Edward Austen-Leigh, about Jane Austen

CatSari

CatSari  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 11/28/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 2/8/11 10:20 PM

I'm no tween, but with an A cup, my above-the-waist measurements aren't too different. I can sew a girl's 14 in some tops with pretty minor alterations. (It helps that I'm 5'1 and short waisted.) Much easier to tweak for a slightly wider waist than to try to remove curvature from the chest in a size 6.

Of course, below the waist is a totally different ballgame.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
MN USA
Member since 4/23/07

In reply to GailFriday

Date: 2/8/11 11:15 PM

I just picked up some burda patterns for jrs. look there. there 40% off at hancocks fabrics.

------
Galatians 5:22-23 The Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control. There is no law against such things as these

GailFriday
GailFriday
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 3/24/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 7/9/12 7:08 PM

Thanks to all--I just revisited to see what's been added. I resorted to shopping vintage patterns in junior sizes. Turns out my girl likes to wear simple '60s styles a la Jackie Kennedy. I'm intrigued by the Japanese dresses . . . and I'm going to take another look at Jalie and Burda.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing for Petite Sizes >> What happened to junior sizes?

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Burda 9792 Start3: Shirt
photo
Review by U. Chicago on 7/21/07
Read Review

Oliver + S School Bus T-Shirt Digital Pattern (5-12)
Oliver + S School Bus T-Shirt Digital Pattern (5-12)

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Sophia Scallop Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Sophia Scallop Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Self Drafted Pattern 0004 Flounce Skirt
photo
Review by Deepika on 9/2/06
Read Review

JSM-Pant 1
JSM-Pant 1

Details
Price: $20.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 303 Pattern
Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Croquet Dress Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )
Oliver + S Croquet Dress Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6783 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )
McCalls 6783 Pattern ( Size 2-3-4-5 )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN