SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina
Is it the same as Power Sewing?
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 10:53 AM

I wonder if it is a compendium of more tips in addition to her Power Sewing book? Does anyone have the set? Santa gave me her Power Sewing book which is fantastic.... I would love even more!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 11:32 AM

I ordered both volumes and they came yesterday. I own most of Sandra's books, DVD's etc., and these new books do not repeat .

Two tips in the first half hour of reading in the the jacket section anwswered questions I didn't know I had.

The best buy, best reading, best resource in my library.

Wow and wow, I hope your errands and housework are caught up before you start reading them - they have sent me to my sewing room with a renewed purpose, not even supper last night!

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Annie- oh

Date: 12/28/10 12:33 PM

Thank you Annie, Sandra's webiste has the pair listed a quite a savings. I think I will go order! Thanks again for the endorsement!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 12:41 PM

I've had the new set for a couple of weeks now (I got them the day they arrived at my local store). Volume One has little several markers in it for a project I'm currently working on - there are so MANY tips that are new to me that I'll be reading, re-reading, & marking it for a long time, I'm sure! I just started skimming through Volume 2 last night; it looks equally valuable.

I'll write up a thorough review when I've had them a little longer. The short review is definitely a thumbs up! Easy to reference, very well organized, great pictures, the spiral binding makes them super easy to read through & lay flat - each volume even has a CD (which I haven't viewed yet).

The tips aren't even in her patterns - some; however are on her Power Sewing tips website, which requires a paid subscription.

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 1:38 PM

Anyone who is an advanced sewer buy this? I can see it being a fabulous resource for less experienced sewers, but is it worth the price for an advanced sewist?

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Heidi Cooper
star
Heidi Cooper  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 2:20 PM

Nancy,
I just got this for Christmas and have only had a few minutes with it. My first thought was "This would be great for very new sewers, not sure how much use I will get out of it" however, when I got to the section on threads I found some new-to-me info that was really helpful. I hope to find more tidbits like that and will let you know if/when I do.

heidi

------
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
“ Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Now Blogging at http://sewexotic.blogspot.com/

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K

Date: 12/28/10 2:50 PM

I think there's enough content to interest an advanced sewer. In volume 1 there is a section on the anatomy of a well-made jacket I found quite interesting. There is also a section on seam embellishments - something I never even considered doing.

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 3:12 PM

I've only had a chance to peruse volume 1. Will report back on 2. So far, I'm not all that taken away by these tips.
I think it's marvelous for a beginner, and while there are things in there for more advance sewists, I just didn't find as many as I'd like. Of the ones I did find interesting, they left me wanting more information.
I actually enjoyed the non technical tips better. The ones relating to making sewing more enjoyable, organized, etc.

Having said that, I do really enjoy my subscription to the Power Sewing website. I have learned LOTS from the videos there, and love the Power Sewing Book.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Rhonda in Montreal
star
Rhonda in Montreal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Quebec CANADA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 12/28/10 6:39 PM

Hi!!! Was interested in getting the set... $12 s/h for USA and $35 for International (CANADA??)!!
I hope these books show up in brick stores...
Rhonda

------
You are most welcome to visit us at:
www.rhotos-rag.blogspot.com/

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 12/29/10 0:36 AM

Yeah...I wasn't happy with the cost of international shipping either. But $35 is way excessive to Canada!

Can someone who has both books give me an idea of how much they weigh? I'm travelling to the US in 8 weeks & thought I might get them sent to my hotel. But if they're really heavy, they might put me over my checked bag allowance.
-- Edited on 12/29/10 0:39 AM --

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Class Details

McCall's 6388

photo
by: Lisa Gaska...

Review
McCall's 6519

photo
by: MrsCharism...

Review
Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

More Info
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.