SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina
Is it the same as Power Sewing?
Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 10:53 AM

I wonder if it is a compendium of more tips in addition to her Power Sewing book? Does anyone have the set? Santa gave me her Power Sewing book which is fantastic.... I would love even more!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 11:32 AM

I ordered both volumes and they came yesterday. I own most of Sandra's books, DVD's etc., and these new books do not repeat .

Two tips in the first half hour of reading in the the jacket section anwswered questions I didn't know I had.

The best buy, best reading, best resource in my library.

Wow and wow, I hope your errands and housework are caught up before you start reading them - they have sent me to my sewing room with a renewed purpose, not even supper last night!

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Annie- oh

Date: 12/28/10 12:33 PM

Thank you Annie, Sandra's webiste has the pair listed a quite a savings. I think I will go order! Thanks again for the endorsement!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 12:41 PM

I've had the new set for a couple of weeks now (I got them the day they arrived at my local store). Volume One has little several markers in it for a project I'm currently working on - there are so MANY tips that are new to me that I'll be reading, re-reading, & marking it for a long time, I'm sure! I just started skimming through Volume 2 last night; it looks equally valuable.

I'll write up a thorough review when I've had them a little longer. The short review is definitely a thumbs up! Easy to reference, very well organized, great pictures, the spiral binding makes them super easy to read through & lay flat - each volume even has a CD (which I haven't viewed yet).

The tips aren't even in her patterns - some; however are on her Power Sewing tips website, which requires a paid subscription.

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 1:38 PM

Anyone who is an advanced sewer buy this? I can see it being a fabulous resource for less experienced sewers, but is it worth the price for an advanced sewist?

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Heidi Cooper
star
Heidi Cooper  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 2:20 PM

Nancy,
I just got this for Christmas and have only had a few minutes with it. My first thought was "This would be great for very new sewers, not sure how much use I will get out of it" however, when I got to the section on threads I found some new-to-me info that was really helpful. I hope to find more tidbits like that and will let you know if/when I do.

heidi

------
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
“ Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Now Blogging at http://sewexotic.blogspot.com/

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K

Date: 12/28/10 2:50 PM

I think there's enough content to interest an advanced sewer. In volume 1 there is a section on the anatomy of a well-made jacket I found quite interesting. There is also a section on seam embellishments - something I never even considered doing.

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/28/10 3:12 PM

I've only had a chance to peruse volume 1. Will report back on 2. So far, I'm not all that taken away by these tips.
I think it's marvelous for a beginner, and while there are things in there for more advance sewists, I just didn't find as many as I'd like. Of the ones I did find interesting, they left me wanting more information.
I actually enjoyed the non technical tips better. The ones relating to making sewing more enjoyable, organized, etc.

Having said that, I do really enjoy my subscription to the Power Sewing website. I have learned LOTS from the videos there, and love the Power Sewing Book.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Rhonda in Montreal
star
Rhonda in Montreal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Quebec CANADA
Member since 12/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Warbler

Date: 12/28/10 6:39 PM

Hi!!! Was interested in getting the set... $12 s/h for USA and $35 for International (CANADA??)!!
I hope these books show up in brick stores...
Rhonda

------
You are most welcome to visit us at:
www.rhotos-rag.blogspot.com/

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Advanced
New South Wales Australia
Member since 1/9/05
Send Message

Date: 12/29/10 0:36 AM

Yeah...I wasn't happy with the cost of international shipping either. But $35 is way excessive to Canada!

Can someone who has both books give me an idea of how much they weigh? I'm travelling to the US in 8 weeks & thought I might get them sent to my hotel. But if they're really heavy, they might put me over my checked bag allowance.
-- Edited on 12/29/10 0:39 AM --

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Power Sewing Toolbox vols. 1 & 2 by Sandra Betzina

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Kwik Sew 2821

photo
by: LoriB

Review
McCall's M5095

photo
by: LOST_kitty...

Review
Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

Sew Liberated Sunday Picnic Blouse and Dress

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Best Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.