SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Can I go a whole year ????? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can I go a whole year ?????
ENABLERS need not apply......
poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 1/2/11 1:15 PM

It probably is no secret here at PR that I have the self inflicted title of Queen of Crap
I have so many machines that I have lost count..
And honestly it doesn't stop at just sewing machines..

Now I do purge and quite often.. but does it matter. as I soon replace it all.

So I got to thinking.. I wonder how long I could go without buying another sewing machine..

Which led to to thinking.. wonder if I could go a whole year without buying anything unnecessary..

Which leads to the question... What is a necessity...and what is not ?
And when would it be foolish to not buy something because the price is too good to pass on ?

Honestly I know this may be the WRONG group to ask but you're all I got..

So I will tell you what I see or plan to buy and you tell me if its a necessity..a good buy.. or forget about it..

I truly need some back up here to say the least.. I have my eye out on at least two machines now..

For today.. I planned on having my DH stop off at Cutting Corners on the way to work for a bolt of home dec fabric at 6 bucks a yard.. cotton.. stripe.. its truly fab.. all sorts of Peter Rabbit colors in it.. Originally sold for l3 per yard. I already have chair frames.. too many in fact.. but of course I may find a few more chair frames I like in the future too.. So definitely I will use it.. but should I buy it ?? Okay def not a necessity.. I can always look at ugly chairs.. (A little plea for sympathy there.. a girls gotta do what she can you know)

Two hours before he leaves for work.. speak now or forever hold your piece.. of fabric that is..

Gotta be honest. I do need help.. just thinking of not looking over CL for a machine today is affecting my breathing and my heart rate I think.

I have allowed myself 250.00 for the entire year.. of things that are not necessary.. and I mean necessary.. Other than that I think it would be fair it I sold something to buy something else.. or not ??

Normally would not ask for help..but after all .. its ALL YOUR FAULT...

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/2/11 1:24 PM

Good luck with that!

No really.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe

Date: 1/2/11 1:34 PM

I will take that good luck to mean you hope that fabric is still at the store when he gets there.. No..really...

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 1/2/11 1:40 PM

If your DH buys it, does it count?

I like your idea of a budget. I would add to that any amount you gain by selling machines or fabric. That seems fair, right?

DH bought me the shoe museum calendar again this year. I can't yet find the strength to get rid of the old one. It is so lovely! I used to justify saving calendars because I wrote all my appointments and important dates on them, so it was more like saving a diary, but not this one. *le sigh!*

Good luck, pigling, we are rooting for you! (Oh, pig pun... )

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/2/11 1:47 PM

You voiced the same thing that has been going on in my own head. Do I really need another pattern, another book, another sewing gadget, more fabric.
My conclusion is that I don't so I was toying with the thought of really limiting what I bought.
I even went so far as to read some posts about sewing from your stash.
Thank goodness I never caught the "buy another sewing machine" bug, although it has been a close thing a few times, but usually only happened when I read what your guys were buying. I almost felt left out because I wasn't buying more sewing machines. (full disclosure here: I do own 6 machines)
Then reason kicked in and I would try and visualize just where this machine was going to sit and reality came to my rescue.
Sorry I got off track there.
Anyway can I really go a whole year and only buy what is necessary?
There is the question of what would be considered necessary? Would patterns be included?
What about a case like you described, buying fabric to cover your chairs, what if you buy the fabric and never get around to making the covers. Does that count against you?
I might be too literal for this kind of rule.
This is not as simple as one would think. :biggrin:

-- Edited on 1/2/11 1:52 PM --

------
Ada

Maggiedoll
star
Maggiedoll
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 1/8/10
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/2/11 1:53 PM

Quote: poorpigling
Which leads to the question... What is a necessity...and what is not ?
And when would it be foolish to not buy something because the price is too good to pass on ?

I think these are two of those questions that would cause the universe to end if you ever learned the answers. The questions would be answered, the mysteries solved, the purposes fulfilled.

------
My (overly complicated) blog: http://maggiedoll.com/

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling

Date: 1/2/11 1:54 PM

I totally know what you mean, last year, I purchased way too many machines, this year I have decided to pare down.... except that I have found that these machines come with all sorts of attachments and I really could just set up an entire assembly line of machines, I mean they don't take up too much space.... and world domination would follow.

Seriously,
Is it so much that you are not productive?
I think there is a limit to a productive stash and that depends entirely on what you sew and how you sew.
There is temptation to purchase things on sale, but aren't there always sales?
Isn't it better to buy the fabric when you need it?

How much space do you have?
Can you access all of your machines if you have to?
Do you know what you already have in your stash or do you have duplicates (I seem to love white cotton shirting, and the same icky color of linen?
Have you thought of what it is costing you in not only money, but energy when you can't find something in your workspace?

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

ElizabethDee
star
ElizabethDee
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 12/27/06
Send Message

Date: 1/2/11 2:10 PM

For a short while I've been trying the same thing, and hope to keep it up. The way I've decided if something is essential is to tell myself that I can buy it only if I'm going to use it right away. A savings isn't a saving if the purchase just sits in a closet, and I am trying to persuade myself that there will be other sales and great deals in the future.

So the way I would decide on this particular fabric is by asking if this is your dream fabric, the one you have always wanted, or if you are mostly attracted to the fact that it's on sale.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to tourist

Date: 1/2/11 2:24 PM

Oh.. a loophole.. gee.. thanks for that tourist.. I hadn't even thought out loopholes ..yet....

Funny you should mention a calendar..for years my children always bought me the Peter Rabbit calendar for each year.. then the merchant quit carrying them. I had mentioned that to a ''friend'' who promptly send me an email showing one on Amazon.. ( Yes, You know who you are ) And at a really good price.. so do I buy it ..or not ?? As I saved all my old ones.. am sure there has to be at least one year much like this one..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to AdaH

Date: 1/2/11 2:29 PM

No, it isn't as easy as it would seem.. as I know that fabric is going up in price..and with the need to recover frequently because of the dogs...

Now..see.. how easy that is to justify a purchase.. its a wonder we all aren't bankrupt..and probably would be if there were more hours in the day to shop..

On top of which.. I just got called about a bernina.. in a table.. feet and all.. an 840 I think she said.. maybe a favorit.. something like that.. it was on CL and I called about it a few days ago.. this is a tuffie.. only 200 So here I sit.. trying to justify it on account of the feet.. or of course.. a LOOPHOLE.. Buy it for the feet and resell the machine.. and if you think I would ever get around to selling a machine.. think again.. just being honest.. sigh.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Can I go a whole year ?????

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

StyleArc Jenny Shirt

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 3558

photo
by: KarlaB

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.