SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Tracing patterns

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tracing patterns
What type of paper do you use?
Farouche
Farouche
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/10
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:18 PM

I'm gradually gearing up towards starting trying to make something - but I don't want to actually put scissors to proper pattern paper (I know I'm going to have to do an FBA apart from anything else, plus my hips are a couple of sizes bigger than my waist...). Quite a few people seem to trace patterns such that they don't cut the original - this seems perfect for me :). But I have (as ever) a couple of questions:

- do you iron the original pattern first?
- do you trace onto tracing paper?
- if you do, what weight is it and what width do you find works? (I can get a 20m roll of 90gsm at just over 1m wide at a local stationers, but I'm not sure if that's going to do what I want)
- if you don't, what do you use and why?

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:26 PM

I use newsprint/recycled paper because I'm cheap. To trace things like Burda, I use rolled paint drop cloths. Again, cheap.

Farouche
Farouche
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/20/10
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:42 PM

Thanks for the reply :).

Just to clarify what might be a cross-pond translation issue, what's a rolled paint drop cloths?

Also, do you find that newsprint transfers onto the fabric?

(feeling very daft...)

sharkycharming
star
sharkycharming
Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 11/10/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/22/11 7:44 PM

I love love love this swedish tracing paper. It's so durable but also easy to fold back up with the pattern when you're finished.

------
Heather in Baltimore

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:47 PM

Similar to this.

SheBear0320
starstar
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
Manitoba Canada
Member since 4/8/08
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:53 PM

I use the 3 mil plastic drop clothes -- use a Sharpie permanent marker to trace. Can use different colours to mark different alterations you make to the pattern.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
56.0 yards sewn (as of 08/13/14)
113.125 yards purchased (as of 08/13/14)

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 7:58 PM

I use tracing paper -- either actual sewing tracing paper, i.e. plain/ no grid paper from Burda (like THIS) or just the small pads of tracing paper you can get at the dollar store. I tape sheets together to get the size I need. ...Not ideal, but way cheaper, and the Burda paper is hard to find sometimes.

-- Edited on 1/22/11 7:59 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

msladyj
star
msladyj
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 1/14/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/11 8:10 PM

I have used tracing paper, wax paper, light weight sew in interfacing and freezer paper. My current favorite is freezer paper.

------
Jennifer
Reinventing yourself is like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon- a fresh, new start. Excerpt from Nothing to Wear
http://jtscloset-jen.blogspot.com/

Sue Stevens
Sue Stevens  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 3/14/08
Send Message

Date: 1/23/11 6:34 AM

We do not have the choice available to the US sewers.
I use greasproof/baking paper from the supermarket. Tissue paper is useful, but join using Scotch magic tape or sticky tape will not let you fold and re-use the pattern. I do a lot of tracing and bought a roll of tracing paper (the lightest weight) from -
http://www.artistmaterial.co.uk/products/Tracing-Paper%2C-Rolls.html
It wasn't cheap, but is lasting very well.
I have tried the decorators protection polythene, but it is too wide and too flimsy. I have found clear rubble sacks, but they are rather thick. I have been given some perfect weight polythene from a roll, but have been unable to source any and am still looking.
The Swedish paper, I have been told is very good, but the postage makes it too expensive.
The alternative would be to trace down with a spikey tracing wheel onto paper, such as lining wallpaper. Squirrelypoo has written advice on her method.
I wish we had the choice and prices available in the US.!
Sue

glenj

glenj
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/08
Send Message

In reply to Farouche

Date: 1/23/11 7:09 AM

I use tracing paper,sandwich wrap paper for small-ish pieces,but I guess my fave is the sew in type interfacing.It's over a meter wide so easily covers the pattern sheet for tracing.I use flat rock fishing sinkers as weights to hold the layers for tracing and cutting.

Use whatever you can get that will be,convenient to use and buy and you are able to see through sufficiently to trace all markings without sending yourself loopy.

Buy what works best for you.possibly don't commit to a large roll af anything until you try a few samples ,to see what is the most stable for you.

I personally don't like thin plastic,I feel it distorts and slips more than I like.I don't mind paying a little more for something that is right for me

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Tracing patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 8582

photo
by: iSewQuiltA...

Review
Sew Sweet Saffron Romper

photo
by: brissmith

Review
Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 102 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 102  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.